my heart feels frozen

and so much pain

like a knot in the heart

plus a sharp shaft piercing my chest

i cant tell anymore

what to do about my lacking

who can help me through

to chant the Lord's sweet nectar names?

We all go thru days, weeks, sometimes even months or more like this. You are not alone. Maybe its part of the purification process with all the impurities rising to the top and at times difficult to handle. Or maybe its due to maya's attacks. It could be something else, but the bottom line is to keep on chanting. Even if you can't maintain the number of rounds you previously did (ony "if" thats a problem), in wihch case, reduce the number and chant less, with the plan that you will do like this "untill" this rock moves from you. You can get thru this. We all have times, believe me. Its just that no one wants to admit it, but its true.

Just stick with it to the best of your ability. Its called "feel the pain and do it anyway." /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also, read, read, read. I often hear devotees claim the only or main cause of fall downs are that the person stopped chanting. However, I see that we often stopped chanting becuase we stopped reading. This often results when undergoing said problem or just stressed out, so tamo guna covers us, zaps our energy and memory. We often forget the "various" benefits of the Holy Name. Oh we remember the basics, but important details have escaped us, or they are often covered over by Maya devi herself, as it is her job to keep anyone away from Krishna so if we get close, she attacks. For whatever reason, eduation is in order and an important part of the forumla for success. Study Prabhupada's books, looking for quotes specific to the Maha Mantra. I collect them. /images/graemlins/smile.gif So I'll give you a few for starters. And I'll begin with my favorite:

"Simply by chanting one holy name of Hari, a sinful man can counteract the reactions to more sins than he is able to commit." S.B. 6.2.7 P

"Even if he be distressed or degraded, any person who

chants the holy name of the Lord, having heard it from a bona fide spiritual master, is immediately purified. Even if he chants the Lord's name jokingly or by chance, he and anyone who hears him are freed from all sins. Therefore how can anyone seeking disentanglement from the material clutches avoid chanting the name of Lord Sesa? Of whom else should one take shelter? " S.B. 5-25-11

"Simply by chanting the holy name of Krsna, one is relieved from *all* the reactions of a sinful life. One can complete the nine processes of devotional service simply by chanting the holy name." Sri Caitanya Caritamrita, Madhya 15.107

"It was due to Ajamila's glorifying the holy name of the Supreme Lord that he was not punishable. The Visnudutas explained this as follows: "Simply by once chanting the holy name of Narayana, this brahmana has become free from the reactions of sinful life. Indeed, he has been freed not only from the sins of this life, but from the sins of many, many thousands of other lives. He has already undergone true atonement for all his sinful actions. If one atones according to the directions of the sastras, one does not actually become free from sinful reactions, but if one chants the holy name of the Lord, even a glimpse of such chanting can immediately free one from all sins. Chanting the glories of the Lord's holy name awakens all good fortune. Therefore there is no doubt that Ajamila, being completely free from all sinful reactions, should not be punished by Yamaraja." S.B. 6.2 (From Prabhupada's chapter summary)

"The chanting of the holy name of Lord Visnu is the best

process of atonement for a thief of gold or other valuables, for a drunkard, for one who betrays a friend or relative, for one who kills a brahmana, or for one who indulges in sex with the wife of his guru or another superior. It is also the best method of atonement for one who murders women, the king or his father, for one who slaughters cows, and for all other sinful men. Simply by chanting the holy name of Lord Visnu, such sinful persons may attract the attention of the Supreme Lord, who therefore considers, "Because this man has chanted My holy name, My duty is to give him protection." S.B. 6.2.9-10

"... Of all the sacrifices, the chanting of Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare is the purest representation of Krsna." Bg 10.25 P

"There is no difference between chanting the Hare Krsna mantra and meeting Krsna eye to eye, face to face. Simply one has to realize." (Srila Prabhupada lecture, 1-12-73, Bombay)

Also, dont forget to be practical.

Turn off that tv. It puts out more mundane sound vibration that even we, the devotees, give it credit for. (And we give it plenty of credit!) It is subtle too, so effects on every level. Recently I have been doing some research on the healing power of sound. From a scientific perspective. They point out that just as meditative sounds heals, materail sound destroys, can even cause disease over time.

Expose yourself to music you like, preferably spiriutal music. How about KrishnaPrema prabhu, Rasa, or even Krishna das, Jai utal, etc. I recently bought a lovely CD by a gurukuli names Kartamrita dd. The CD is called "Dasi." I knew her mother who passed away a few years ago and on the back is a tribute to her. I find this to be a very inspirational CD. Anyway, find what inspires you, or just lifts your spirits, and listen to it, attentively when you can give it extra time. Its a fun way to pass the time too, yet spiritual.

Get in good association. Prabhupada explained that 90% of our advancement in Krishna consciousness is dependant on who we associate with. Ask yourself who in life is tearing you down, if any. And ask yourself how to bring more devotees into your life.

Make a schedule. Pencil in some regulated japa time even if its only 15 minutes. Or 5! But pencil it in your schedule and follow thru.

Dont stay up too late at night. It helps for early rising, which in turn helps for japa meditation.

Eat in a regulated fashion, and not too many deep fried foods, etc. Yet if we are unhappy, sometimes food is our escape. I am not going to tell you that you should not do this. Devotees have given up so much that sometimes prasadam is one of the few things left to that keeps them holding on. And to accept an additional austerity when all ready feeling down, usually just backfires. But once you get over the hump and feel good again (as a "lot" of this has to do with feelings), you might want to keep this in mind. Just - dont go extreme with it when you do. Extremism is often what bites us when we're not looking.

Speaking of feelings, when we are low in serotonin, it can effect our desire to chant. This is why we go after sugar or deep fried foods. They temporarily lift the serotonin levels. Again I am not going to say to avoid this. Even I think its a good idea! As long as it is not done over an extended period of time, and as long as its prasadam.

Bring some (wholesome) fun into your life. I can all ready hear someone telling me it should be japa, and sure, that would be great. But for those who are all ready willing to give up japa, then by doing something else they enjoy (not breaking the 4 regs tho), then it can be used as a stepping stone back to spiriutal life. As long as no one engages in any sinful activity for quick relief, as is often the case. But if we know that is why that sometimes happens, then it can be avoided and good wholesome fun can be the focal point.

I am sure there is much more that can be put here under "practicality," but its all I can think of at the moment. Maybe others can contribute too. As well as with enlivening scriptural quotes. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tridandisvami Sri Srimad Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja

ARE WE CHANTING - OR SIMPLY VIBRATING AIR?

(A Talk on Sri Bhajana Rahasya)

Oahu, Hawaii: Jan. 18, 2002 (evening - part one)

[We hear so often, "Chant Hare Krsna and Be Happy." Many devotees have left their devotional practices or have become discouraged in their devotional life, because they lost faith in this promise. They think, "I am chanting Hare Krsna but I have not become happy." What is the reason for this, and how can the devotees again become encouraged? Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Gosvami Maharaja gives the answer in the following lecture. - ed.]

I offer my heartfelt obeisances unto the lotus feet of my spiritual master, Om Visnupada Sri Srimad Bhakti Prajnana Kesava Gosvami Maharaja, and I offer my same heartfelt obeisances unto to my siksa-guru, nitya-lila-pravista Om Visnupada Sri Srimad Bhaktivedanta Swami Maharaja.

Sri Bhajana Rahasya of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura delineates the development of the devotee aspirant's faith. The beginning of that faith brings one into the association of a bona fide guru, or sadhu-sanga, wherein one commences a serious practice of bhajana. By such devotional activities, unwanted habits gradually go away, and this stage is called anartha-nivrtti. By this, one comes into nistha, steadiness of purpose. Gradually, a taste for the holy name and a relish for a life immersed in such chanting develops, and that stage is called ruci.

From nistha, ruci or taste manifests. This taste is divided into two: vastu-vaisistya apeksani and vastu-vaisistya anapeksani. After passing the stage at which many anarthas remain, this taste may arise. Some anarthas are still there, but not nama-aparadha. The anarthas of the devotee in the stage of ruci are now in a very minute form.

An example of apeksani-ruci is as follows: When someone sings with a guitar, with harmonium, with so many instruments, and with a very sweet melody and voice, it will be very tasteful. On the other hand, if a high-class devotee, weeping with a melting heart, is singing with no instrument, and his voice is not so sweet, then that hearer will not have taste to hear. If that devotee sees that any Deities are well-dressed, he will have taste in Their darsana, and if the same Deities not well-dressed, no taste will occur.

In Iskcon temples everywhere, (whether there is bhakti or not), there are very well-dressed Deities. Three persons blow the conch at the same time, and they perform arati in a very beautiful way. The devotees sing a very good melody of 'Govindam adi purusham tam aham bhajami,' in a newly composed tune and of professional quality. So many persons congregate, and so many sannyasis with dandas are there - looking very fine. Everything is externally impressive, anyone who comes will have some taste to see this beautiful scene, and that person will return again and again.

On the other hand, if the same person were to take darsana of Vamsidas Babaji and his Deities, he would return home, saying, "Oh nothing is there." But Vamsidasa Babaji's mood is so high that he quarrels with his Deities! He says, "Oh, this Nitai appears very simple, but He is actually very naughty. He told me to bring flowers, so I went to the tree and was climbing. He then sent a boy, who pushed me, and now my leg is injured. I will not worship Him anymore." He was weeping and quarreling with his Deities. We cannot be like this.

When ruci first develops, it depends on good melody, good decoration, and so on. When it further develops, the devotee is more advanced, and Srimati Radhika is an example of that. She is far superior to ruci, but I am giving an example. Once Srimati Radhika heard someone talking about Krsna from very far away and She fainted. In this way there are two classes of ruci. As ruci continues through its most complete stage of vastu-vaisistya anapeksani, it will be then changed into asakti.

[sripad Pundarika Prabhu:] We just heard the two stages or two classifications of ruci. One stage is where the sadhaka is actually impelled from within for hearing, chanting, taking darsanas, or performing any limb of bhakti, because of any externally beautiful cause. And in the next successive stage, the sadhaka is now so strong that he doesn't get affected by any externally attractive or unattractive circumstance. His heart is unconditionally running towards performing these activities. We have heard about how nicely the aratis are performed in the Iskcon temples. Any ordinary person who has no connection with bhakti whatsoever, may get attracted to see that very nice arati. So, what is the difference between this person's taste and that of a person who has gone through all the stages of anartha-nivrtti and has now reached the end of nistha? Why does he have to still be dependant on external attractions to develop his sraddha or ruci for the name or for hari-katha or for the Deities?

[srila Narayana Maharaja:] The taste of general persons is only worldly, whereas the taste of a person actually situated in ruci is not. It is somewhat transcendental. He has passed anartha-nivrtti, nistha has come, and after that, ruci. General persons will go to a kirtana or arati and then they will quickly forget. This is a worldly thing. If you want to develop your Krsna consciousness, you will have to pass through these processes. You will have to judge for yourself where you are. You will have to judge yourself how much deep or shallow water you are standing in.

I know that if I don't give proper honor to some of you, or if I don't talk with you, some of you will say, "Oh, I am not coming here. He doesn't give me any attention." So many have left our classes for this reason. On the other hand, those who have passed through the proper channel, whose anarthas have somewhat gone, and who have passed through nistha and are coming to the stage of ruci will have some taste. Even if I rebuke them, they will come and sit here.

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu explained the process by which we should chant the holy name so that prema will come. He has already uttered, "Trnad api sunicena," and now He is explaining something further. If one has taste, the sadhaka will think as Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu exemplified:

ayi nanda-tanuja kinkaram

patitam mam visame bhavambudhau

krpaya tava .-pankaja-

sthita-dhuli-sadrsam vicintaya

What is the meaning?

[sripad Asrama Maharaja:] This is the fifth sloka of Sri Siksastakam. Ayi nanda kinkaram: "O son of Maharaja Nanda, I am your eternal servant. Somehow or other I have fallen into this very deep ocean of material existence. Please be merciful to me. Pick me up and place me as an insignificant tiny particle of the dust of Your lotus feet."

[srila Narayana Maharaja:] Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura used to chant like this during the night. Taking his mala and weeping, he used to chant these Siksastakam slokas with tears in his eyes and a melting heart. "O Nandanandana, I have left Your service. I have no mood of service to You. I am in an ocean of birth and death. I am very unhappy. Please take me out of that ocean and engage me in Your service. I am your krta-dasa. I am like Your purchased slave. You have all claims on me.

tomara nitya-dasa mui, toma pasariya

padiyachon bhavarnave maya-baddha hana

"I am Your eternal servant, but I forgot Your Lordship. Now I have fallen into the ocean of nescience and have been conditioned by the external energy." (Cc Antya 20.33)

Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura is now explaining that when a sadhaka has crossed the stage of ruci and enters asakti, he becomes humble. Tears automatically come in his eyes and his heart melts.

nayanam galad-asru-dharaya

vadanam gadgada-ruddhaya gira

pulakair nicitam vapuh kada

tava nama-grahane bhavisyati

"My dear Lord, when will My eyes be beautified by filling with tears that constantly glide down as I chant Your holy name? When will My voice falter and all the hairs on My body stand erect in transcendental happiness as I chant Your holy name?" (Cc Antya 20.36)

The devotee repents, "I am so worthless. I have no taste for Your names." Bhaktivinoda Thakura used to weep in this way. When asakti is somewhat mature, the devotee can realize his siddha-deha, eternal form. You should know that we are not this material form. The material body appears to have very beautiful eyes, curly hair, and beautiful cheeks and nose. It appears very, very strong and beautiful. In the same way, we have our transcendental form. There is a spiritual form and it is actually very beautiful. It is like the form of Krsna. Krsna is saccidananda. He has a very beautiful form, but it is not worldly. At the stage of bhava, Yogamaya gives us light in this regard, as electricity from a powerhouse gives us light. If there is no connection, there is no light. Similarly, Krsna is saccidananda-gana; His qualities are also transcendental. As His form is saccidananda, so are His qualities. How do we make the connection?

atah sri-krsna-namadi

na bhaved grahyam indriyaih

sevonmukhe hi jihvadau

svayam eva sphuraty adah

"No one can understand the transcendental nature of the name, form, quality and pastimes of Sri Krsna through his materially contaminated senses. Only when one becomes spiritually saturated by transcendental service to the Lord are the transcendental name, form, quality and pastimes of the Lord revealed to him." (Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu 1.2.234)

What you are chanting at present is not the pure name. When Nama Prabhu will come by His causeless mercy and dance on your tongue, that is the pure name. At the present time, you are simply creating a vibration of air. Your chanting is only a vibration coming from your throat and tongue. Your chanting is a vibration of material sounds, an effort by your senses. However, when Nama Prabhu sees your condition and hears your prayers, He will come Himself and dance on your tongue. That is pure nama. If the pure name comes, it means that asakti has become rati (bhava).

Try to chant the pure name like this. Chant always, without interruption. Seeing your effort and endeavor, Krsna will come in the form of His name and He will dance. At that time there will be no laziness and no sleepiness, and the devotee will always be very happy. That is the pure name. Pray that Krsna's pastimes come and reveal Themselves in your hearts. Anandambudhi vardhanam. At that time you will be so happy. You cannot realize this now, but when this stage comes, then you can dance. It cannot be explained by words, but it will take your heart, in the form of tears. These tears will also be transcendental, because they will be related to the pure name. At that time everything worldly will be forgotten. Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura used to chant like this, and he has given us an outline to follow.

Tridandisvami Sri Srimad Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja

Oahu, Hawaii: Jan. 16, 2002 (eve - part 2)

I want to mention something about Sri Bhajana Rahasya, written by Srila

Bhaktivinoda Thakura. We will do well to understand the Thakura's process of

bhajana. He was a magistrate officer. During the daytime he was in court,

and after court he had to write his judgments. It was at night, therefore,

that he wrote so many books. Taking some very light prasadam and going to

sleep at about nine or ten p.m., he would wake up early, at around twelve or

one in the morning. In his siddha-deha, Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura is known

as Kamala Manjari, and therefore, very early in the morning, he would

perform bhajana as a parakiya gopi, always remembering asta-kaliya-lila and

totally absorbed in that. Then, later in the morning, he would again write

judgments.

During his householder life, Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura wrote more than one

hundred books in many languages, including English. His Jaiva Dharma grantha

(scripture) contains the highest exposition of tattva, and he has written it

just for us. It is a treasure for us. In Bhajana Rahasya, which will now be

under discussion, Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura has divided our bhajana into

eight sections. As Krsna's pastimes are divided into eight parts,

asta-kaliya-lila, similarly, the Thakura divided our bhajana into eight

parts: nisanta (end of night), dawn, morning, and midday (madyana), then

afternoon, dusk (sayana), evening, and midnight.

Our bhajana also develops in this way. The first part of our bhajana is

sadhu-sanga. One should have sraddha (faith) in sadhu-sanga. Faith begins in

sadhu-sanga. Elevated sadhus will explain that we are eternal servants of

Krsna. We must serve Krsna and chant. He will say, "Don't have any worldly

desires, don't engage yourself in any worldly sense gratification. Krsna is

almighty. He has invested all His power in His holy name. Sravanam,

kirtanam, and all the other nine or 64 limbs of bhakti are very powerful.

You will be happy if you engage in these processes of bhakti. You cannot be

happy by collecting so many things for your sense gratification, especially

money, money, money, and more money.

Money will give you only danger; so don't go there. Money cannot give you

peace and happiness. If you have money, somehow make it favorable for

bhakti. But don't desire money. If money disappears, then pray to Krsna,

"Oh, You are very merciful. You have kindly taken away everything and made

me a street beggar."

Be like Srivasa Pandita. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu asked him, "What are you

doing? You are doing nothing to earn money. How will you maintain your life

and your family?" Srivasa Thakura clapped his hands - one, two three.

Mahaprabhu asked, "What is this 'one two three'?" Srivasa Thakura replied,

"My brothers and I are chanting and performing kirtana. If we cannot get

anything for maintenance, we will fast for one day. The second day we will

also fast, and also on the third day. If nothing comes on the fourth day, we

will jump in the Ganges." Mahaprabhu replied, "Laksmi may have to beg

something; you will never have to beg. I will personally carry your

paraphernalia." And He did so.

By hearing hari-katha, one immediately develops a strong belief in Krsna and

thus gives up everything else. This is called sraddha. If you have actually

attained sraddha, if sraddha is actually in your heart, but you are not in

sadhu-sanga, that sraddha will disappear very soon. Even your sannyasa will

not save you if you are not in the association of self-realized souls. So

many sannyasis have already fallen.

When you come in our stage, then bhakti may save you. Srila Haridasa Thakura

had pure sraddha. He pledged, "Even if someone kills me, I will not stop

chanting Krsna's name." So many devotees, even those who have taken diksa,

second initiation, have asked me, "Gurudeva, I have so many problems. I have

no money. Should I stop chanting and serving the Deities? I cannot maintain

these practices. Please allow me to stop chanting and serving the Deities."

I have always replied, "I can never allow this. If you die, there is no harm

in that; but I cannot allow you to stop chanting."

Dear Mother Pritaa,

pamho

agtSP

thank you

you speak from the heart with

such a caring and compassionate mood ,

yours in aspiring to love Lord Krsna,

krsnadas

Hare Krishna

"I cant chant no more" actually means I can chant some more, so you be very lucky.

And dont forget Krsna, because He does not forget you. He still hears the first time you called Him, and he is coming.

I call your feeling the "Dhruva Complex". The first time is probably the purest names we have ever chanted, because the motivation was pure, and Krsna Came. Then he went and disappeared, and we spend our lives wanting that day to return, but this wanting is a form of pure devotional service as well, so maybe one day, I will not be able to chant no more either. When, oh when, will that day be mine.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Thank you for your encouragement on the path of nama bhajan

hare krishna

yours,

krsnadas

o lord when o when will that day be mine

when i'll chant the pure name divine?

Actually I thank YOU for allowing me to serve you in this particular way. We often forget these things when down, and I am no exception. Answers that are second nature to me when I am doing well spiritually, I forget when problems attack. Oh, another idea could be to keep a journal. I have found this to help me immensely! I live in the wood and not 'in' a temple, therfore as an independent grhasta I often have little (sensible) devotee input when going thru a difficulty. About two years ago I got serious about journal writing. Even if one ca'nt write in it daily, to write in it whenever we wish or need, still makes a difference. Especially I include in it step-by-step solutions to problems if they arise. I can always look back to them in the future, as karma or problems tend to repeat themselves and we forget the details of how we resolved it last time. And anything can be written in there, from shastra to "I've had it!" ha And its been scientifically proven that journaling is healing. So theres an idea for ya. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Actually, Srila Prabhupada said we should write every day. Srila Prabhupada ki jai!

Haribol. The best indicator that Ive experianced is as follows. When offering obiesancies, my mind says, "Im not into this, this is lame, and I am being very insincere, for I dont even like this guy Im bowing to."

This means the process is working. The fact that we can see so blatantly our insincerity is a special gift that can only be had by engagement in the very sour and bitter sadhana bhakti system. The bitterness has been described by Srila Prabhupada as the taste of sugar candy to one with jaundice. Keep taking this bitter medicine, and it gets sweeter, indicating health is on the way.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

\thank you again for your wisdom and kindness on this bhakti path.

I wish i could write moreKC material,ie,taht krishna take over my life ,my soul,my very existance so tath i no longer simply live only to satisfy my senses.

krsnadas

Haribol Krsna das,

Here is a sure fire method that works.

You take out a piece of paper and your pen (pencil recommended, you'll see why). On the top of the page you write the following:

"Dear Lord Sri Krishna,"

Now, after a heading like that, you MUST speak to the Lord. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

At first all sorts of garbage will come out. (Thus, the pencil recommendation.) You will find yourself crossing things out, erasing them, rewriting them, while you leave others there to stay cuz you realize Krishna really knows everything anyhow. Then if you keep at it, over time there will be prayers and glorification of Krishna. Intermingled with nonsense ha but writing is now on its way.

Thats just one suggestion and not what everyone should do. It works for me. Or to "just start," in whatever way works for someone. We msut connect to the Lord. That is our way out. I was just listening to Prabhupada say how its like tuning into a radio. If you are always listening to the radio you are always connected to whats going on in the world. Similarly if we are always chanting (etc) we are always connected to whats going on spiritually and to Krishna of course. -- Whatever we do, we must be personal with Him. Thats the bottom line, because He *is* a person, a transcendental person. Ok, getting off my soapbox now. /images/graemlins/smile.gif