IndiaDivine.org

The Fight of Love between Husband and Wife

Rate this topic

krsna

And similarly, dam-pate kalahe, I mean to say, "war between husband and wife..." So these things are to be taken as insignificant. So, of course, in India the quarrel between husband and wife, nobody cares. Nobody takes very seriously. The husband may complain, the wife may complain. Everyone says, "Yes, yes. That's all right. It will be all right." They never go to court for divorce. You see? But it is... There is no seriousness. And actually it is fact. I have seen a serious. They are divorced, but still, the husband is anxious for the wife, and the wife is anxious for the husband. The divorce is artificial. The husband and wife, the combination, that cannot be cut off. So one should tolerate these things. If there is some misunderstanding, they should not go to the court for divorce. They should tolerate. These are some of the rules for spiritual advancement.

[bhagavad-gita Lecture, 6.32-40, New York, September 14, 1966]

Prabhupada: ...quarrel, my wife never thought of any other man; neither I thought of any other woman.

Dr. Patel: Why? Because of the background.

Prabhupada: Although we fought, but there was no such thing. (break) Fighting is natural. This is fight of love. This is not fight... Therefore Canakya Pandita has said, "Neglect this fighting. Don't take it seriously." Dam-patye kalahe bambharambhe laghu kriya (?). This should not be... Quarrel between husband and wife should not be taken seriously. Let them fight. It will stop automatically. That's all.

[s.P. Morning Walk, March 27, 1974, Bombay]