IndiaDivine.org

Does Krishna take offence if I use the Mahamantra merely as a soul cleanser ?

Rate this topic

krsna

Chanting the Holy Names without offence is the goal.

To use the Holy Names as a deep soul cleanser

and keep on in material life is certainly offensive,

which is not having complete faith that the Name(NAMA Prabhu) is identical with Sri Krishna Himself.

Won't we simply reap Dharma,Artha,Kama and Moksa but not Krishna Prema from chanting the Holy Name?

"Srila Bhaktsiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura says that a devotee does not care about his own happiness or distress; he is simply interested in seeing that Krishna is happy, and for that purpose he engages in various activities.

A pure devotee has no way of sensing happiness except by seeing that Krishna is happy in every respect. If Krishna becomes happy by giving him distress, such a devotee accepts that unhappiness as the greatest of all happiness.

Those who are materialistic, however, who are proud of material wealth and have no spiritual knowledge, like the prakrta-sahajiyas, regard their own happiness as the aim of life. Some of them aspire to enjoy themselves by sharing the happiness of Krishna. This is the mentality of the fruitive workers who want to enjoy sense gratification by making a show of service to Krishna."

(CC Ant 20.52)

And it is the goal.

It is purifying, and it is also the symptom and pastime of purity.

It simply naturally arises after the Panca-tattva mantra. It comes without desire, as sunshine follows the morning sun.

Whatever motivation we can muster; seize it. Early morning clouds will be burned into mist. And the sun will shine all day.

Posted Image

Namabhasa or the Unclarified Name

from Sri Harinama Cintamani

by Srila Bhaktivinod Thakura

The cloud of anartha; the mist of ignorance

Anatomy of the cloud of anartha

"Hankering for things temporary and unreal, weakness of the heart and mind, and offenses produce a cloud of anarthas that keeps the jivas in constant suffering. Asattrsna (thirsting for the illusory) indicates desires for things not related to Lord Krsna, or in other words, the craving for so-called material gains; hridaya-daurbalyam refers to propensities of the heart and mind that arise from a condition of spiritual weakness; and aparadha means offenses. These three anarthas are to avoided, for they form a cloud that hides the sun of the holy name. The holy name is always perfect in itself, but namabhasa obfuscates the jiva's vision of it.

The extents of namabhasa

"As long as the jiva is not firmly established in the knowledge of sambandha-tattva, or the correct understanding of the relationship between God, His energies, and the jiva, he will continue to chant in the namabhasa stage. When the jiva takes full shelter of a bona fide spiritual master, he becomes expert in executing devotional service under his guru's guidance; then gradually the clouds and mist are dispersed.

Sambandha, abhidheya and prayojana

"Once the cloud and mist are dispelled, the sun of the holy name shines brilliantly once more and enlightens the devotee with love of Godhead.

"The bona fide spiritual master instructs the disciple in sambandha jnana. The chanting of the holy name is the indication (abhidheya) of this eternal relationship (sambandha).

The guru encourages the disciple to take up abhidheya or chanting. The sun of the holy name now shines stronger and evaporates the mist of anartha. Chanting at this stage becomes an indispensable need (prayojana).

Prayojana leads a devotee to love of Godhead. The jiva now experiences ecstasy in every moment of chanting.

SB 3.29.5: My dear Lord, You are just like the sun, for You illuminate the darkness of the conditional life of the living entities. Because their eyes of knowledge are not open, they are sleeping eternally in that darkness without Your shelter, and therefore they are falsely engaged by the actions and reactions of their material activities, and they appear to be very fatigued.

"...they appear to be very fatigued."

Yes I am becoming very tired of living under these dark damp rocks, avoiding the sun at all costs.

"It is the path, and it is the goal." We take shelter of the chanting in the mode of goodness in order to get beyond it."

SB 3.29.10: When a devotee worships the Supreme Personality of Godhead and offers the results of his activities in order to free himself from the inebrieties of fruitive activities, his devotion is in the mode of goodness.

SB 3.29.11-12: The manifestation of unadulterated devotional service is exhibited when one's mind is at once attracted to hearing the transcendental name and qualities of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is residing in everyone's heart. Just as the water of the Ganges flows naturally down towards the ocean, such devotional ecstasy, uninterrupted by any material condition, flows towards the Supreme Lord.

THE FRIEND IS ALREADY THERE

How you can realize it? If you chant this Hare Krsna mantra, even if you do not realize, simply if you come here and chant and dance, you are getting piousness; you are becoming purified—simply by joining. This temple is situated just to give you facility for your purification.

Why don’t you take advantage?

I am very glad that you have all come, and it will be further our enjoyment and pleasure if you come and join. Please come here, join here. We have a very nice arrangement. We supply prasadam, we have got dancing, we have got chanting. Why you should deny it? (laughter)

And if you join us, then gradually you realize what you are, what is God, what is this world, what is your relationship. Then your life becomes successful. You’ll not be confused. You will understand what is real life.

Simply by the spell of the material qualities you have become covered. But if you come here, if you hear and chant, then gradually... Krsna is within you. He is sitting within your heart as a friend, not as an enemy. Krsna is always your friend. You are searching out friends to talk with, to joke with, to love. Krsna is sitting there for that purpose. If you love Krsna, if you make friendship with Krsna, then your life will be successful. You haven’t got to search out any other friend. The friend is already there. Either you are a boy or a girl, you will find a nice friend within yourself.

That is the yoga system, when you realize this friend. This friend is so nice, as soon as you become little inclined to hear about Him, not any other nonsense talks, simply about Krsna—then Krsna will be so pleased.

We cannot see Krsna, we cannot realize Krsna, due to our contamination with so many material desires. Your consciousness, because you are part and parcel of Krsna, is as clear as Krsna, but due to contamination with this material world, you have contacted muddy things of three qualities: ignorance, passion, and goodness.

So if you hear about Krsna, these muddy things will be precipitated and they will be separated. Then, gradually, proportionately, as you clear these muddy qualities of the material nature, you come to pure consciousness.

First of all, you come to the goodness of consciousness. Then you will be truthful. self-controlled; the senses are controlled, mind is controlled, tolerance, simplicity. They have taken my words by simple faith. Then understanding what is Krsna consciousness; then applying it in practical life, believing in the shastras, accepting a spiritual master, and serving. “By this way, he becomes jolly.”

Because jolliness is my original consciousness, but due to my material contamination I am not jolly, I am morose, I am full of anxiety. So as soon as you become freed from this material contamination by practicing this bhakti-yoga, and you become jolly. (laughter)

Yes. This is practical. It is a great science. Don’t be confused and frustrated. Take this. It is very easy. You come to this temple and chant and dance and take prasadam and be jolly and be happy.

Thank you very much. Hare Krsna.

(Class by Srila Prabhupada June 7, 1969)

The Hare Krsna mantra chanting means keeping Krsna always within your heart. It is not expensive at all. You can imagine “In my heart I have placed a diamond throne, and Krsna is sitting on it.” That is not false. That is a fact. So you can create such situation within your heart. “Now Krsna has seated. Let me wash His feet with the Ganges water and Yamuna water. Now I'll change His dress to first-class costly garments. Then I'll decorate Him with ornaments. Then give Him something to eat.” You can simply think of this. This is meditation. It is so nice that anywhere you can sit down and think that Krsna is sitting in your heart and you are receiving Him so nicely. If you simply carry Krsna within your heart always in very exalted devotional service, and chant Hare Krsna, and think of Krsna, wherever you will go, you will purify the whole place. It is a fact. Try to remain in your position as a devotee, and as far as possible teach these rascals who are simply attracted by the glaring material stones and wood, and let them have some knowledge and do benefit to your countrymen, to your society, to your family.

(Class by Srila Prabhupada June 1, 1974)

Posted Image

I am very sick of the disturbance caused by my material senses,

for because of this sense disturbance, my Lord, I have fallen into the abyss of ignorance. Your Lordship is my only means of getting out of this darkest region of ignorance because You are my transcendental eye, which, by Your mercy only, I have attained after many, many births. You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the origin and Supreme Lord of all living entities. You have arisen to disseminate the rays of the sun in order to dissipate the darkness of the ignorance of the universe. Now be pleased, my Lord, to dispel my great delusion.

(Devahuti SB 3.25.7-10)

• 3 years later...

I am very sick of the disturbance caused by my material senses,

for because of this sense disturbance, my Lord, I have fallen into the abyss of ignorance.

Your Lordship is my only means of getting out of this darkest region of ignorance because You are my transcendental eye, which, by Your mercy only, I have attained after many, many births.

You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the origin and Supreme Lord of all living entities.

You have arisen to disseminate the rays of the sun in order to dissipate the darkness of the ignorance of the universe. Now be pleased, my Lord, to dispel my great delusion. :pray:

(Devahuti SB 3.25.)7-10

Guest guest

Chanting the Holy Names without offence is the goal.

To use the Holy Names as a deep soul cleanser

and keep on in material life is certainly offensive,

which is not having complete faith that the Name(NAMA Prabhu) is identical with Sri Krishna Himself.

Won't we simply reap Dharma,Artha,Kama and Moksa but not Krishna Prema from chanting the Holy Name?

It's not offensive to clean out the material desires. That is truly clean and truly inoffensive.