IndiaDivine.org

Capable of Cooperating

Rate this topic

Syamasundara dasa: Alexander believed that man, being part of God, is capable of cooperating with God to make further progress in the universe.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes, that is real life, cooperating with God. But in this material world, man is uncooperative. Krsna says, “Surrender unto Me,” But no one wants to do this. Even when people attain the highest levels of human life wherein their karma is regulated and they possess knowledge and yogic abilities, they still will not surrender to Krsna.

krsna-bhakta----niskama, ataeva ‘santa’

bhukti-mukti-siddhi-kami----sakali ‘asanta’

“Because a devotee of Lord Krsna is desireless, he is peaceful. Fruitive workers desire material enjoyment, jnanis desire liberation, and yogis desire material opulence; therefore they are all lusty and cannot be peaceful.” (Caitanya-caritamrta, Madh. 19.149) The karmis want sense enjoyment, the jnanis want mukti, liberation, and the yogis want yoga-siddhis, the yoga powers. All these people are demanding various things: sense gratification, liberation, mystic powers. Only the Krsna-bhakta makes no demands. he says, “Dear Lord, I am Your ternal servitor. I surrender unto You. Now do whatever You like with me.”

bhoktaram yajna-tapasam

sarva-loka-mahesvaram

suhrdam sarva-bhutanam

jnatva mam santim rcchati

“The sages, knowing Me as the ultimate purpose of all sacrifices and austerities, the Supreme Lord of all planets and demigods, and the benefactor and well-wisher of all living entities, attains peace from the pangs of material miseries.” (Bg. 5.29) By understanding that Krsna is the supreme enjoyer, the supreme proprietor, and the supreme friend, we can become santa, peaceful.

Syamasundara dasa: Alexander felt that man should cooperate with God in order to usher in a higher stage of consciousness, the next stage of evolution. This is man's responsibility.

Srila Prabhupada: But what is the next stage of evolution? when man is prepared to cooperate with God, he has already attained teh highest position. Unfortunately, no one wants to cooperate. There is simply enjoyment; there is no more evolution. You have already attained the highest form of evolution.

mam ca yo ’vyabhicarena

bhakti-yogena sevate

sa gunan samatityaitan

brahma-bhuyaya kalpate

“One who engages in full devotional service, who does not fall down in any circumstance, at once transcends the modes of material nature and thus comes to the level of Brahman.” (Bg. 14.26) The Brahman platform is already attained; he doesn't have to strive to become Brahman. He immediately transcends the three gunas and comes to the platform of spirit. Without being Brahman, how can you serve the Supreme Brahman?