IndiaDivine.org

Bone Authority

Rate this topic

Syamasundara dasa: But what other authority is acceptable? If we dig up a bone and make a test with our senses, isn't that authoritative?

Srila Prabhupada: That is bone authority. You may be satisfied with such authority, but we have our own. You will accept your authority, and I will accept mine. That is a different matter. Scientific authority is always relative, just like scientific knowledge. Theories are always being contradicted by other theories. Has Darwin gone down to the bottonm of the sea and excavated there? Who has dug into the layers of the earth below the sea to find out what is there? All Mr. Frog knows is that his well is only three feet deep and three feet wide. If you tell him of the existence of the Atlantic Ocean, he will say, “How big is it? Twice as big as my well? Ten times as big?” Since he can never conceive of the Atlantic Ocean, what good will his investigations do? what knowledge can he have of the vast ocean? Therefore we must take knowledge from one who has created the Atlantic Ocean. In this way, our knowledge will be perfect.