IndiaDivine.org

Potential Power Is Pennance Only

Rate this topic

SB 2.9.23

O sinless Brahma, you may know from Me that it was I who first ordered you to undergo penance when you were perplexed in your duty. Such penance is My heart and soul, and therefore penance and I are nondifferent.

SB 2.9.24

I create this cosmos by such penance, I maintain it by the same energy, and I withdraw it all by the same energy. Therefore the potential power is penance only.

PURPORT

In executing penance, one must be determined to return home, back to Godhead, and must decide to undergo all types of tribulations for that end. Even for material prosperity, name and fame, one has to undergo severe types of penance, otherwise no one can become an important figure in this material world. Why, then, are there severe types of penance for the perfection of devotional service? An easygoing life and attainment of perfection in transcendental realization cannot go together. The Lord is more clever than any living entity; therefore He wants to see how painstaking the devotee is in devotional service. The order is received from the Lord, either directly or through the bona fide spiritual master, and to execute that order, however painstaking, is the severe type of penance. One who follows the principle rigidly is sure to achieve success in attaining the Lord's mercy.

I have long been aware of this problem of I have of avoiding penance. I always describe myself as a fair weather devotee. When the going gets tough I get going...the other way until things get settled down a little.

I now and coming to a point where I realize I must weed out this mentality or I will never make it, ever, in this birth or the future ones.

What is penace? I found this definition but how does it relate to Krsna Consciousness?

Main Entry: 1pen·ance

Pronunciation: 'pe-n&n(t)s

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Medieval Latin poenitentia penitence

1 : an act of self-abasement, mortification, or devotion performed to show sorrow or repentance for sin

2 : a sacramental rite that is practiced in Roman, Eastern, and some Anglican churches and that consists of private confession, absolution, and a penance directed by the confessor

3 : something (as a hardship or penalty ) resembling an act of penance (as in compensating for an offense)

I can understand it a little in terms of repentance and willful atonement, but this verse has always just baffeled me and it doesn't fit those definitions.

SB 2.9.24

I create this cosmos by such penance, I maintain it by the same energy, and I withdraw it all by the same energy. Therefore the potential power is penance only.

Can someone help us out here.

Well, Krsna has no personal need of this manifestation. It is a penance on His part to do it for us.

It is a penance for Krsna to put up with our troubles? And rectify us?

Penance in the ordinary sense of taking the trouble to teach and not interfere with our free will?

(I think a keyword for penance is follow-through. The dictionary def. reminds me of self-effacement. But there are all kinds of penance and goals).