IndiaDivine.org

What does it mean to be obedient to the Spiritual Master ?'Do it !'

Rate this topic

krsna

"I may say many things to you,

but when I say something directly, 'Do it',

your first duty is to do that.

You cannot argue, 'Sir, you said me like this before.' No, that is not your duty.

What I say now, you do it.

That is obedience."

(lecture by Srila Prabhupada on Srimad-Bhagavatam 5.5.3, Hyderabad, 15 April, 1975)

Guest guest

I do agree its easier to follow when you accept a departed guru, since he never talk two things or change things at different times as per timely convenience.

But its still better to have initiated by a Guru, because even if the Guru talks two things at a time, which might confuse you or even test your patience, well accept it because patience is the first step for spiritual development. What ever you never liked in your Guru, dont repeat such things to your disciples and by that way you become more spiritually advanced.

Guest guest

What ever you never liked in your Guru, dont repeat such things to your disciples and by that way you become more spiritually advanced.

if we never liked something about our guru we are absolutely not in position to be gurus

the guru is absolute, he's good as god, if we do not like what he says we are in maya or he's not a true guru

in both cases there's no spiritual advancement, no parampara connection, no way to act as a real guru

SB 3.24.12: Lord Brahmā said: My dear son Kardama, since you have completely accepted my instructions without duplicity, showing them proper respect, you have worshiped me properly. Whatever instructions you took from me you have carried out, and thereby you have honored me.

SB 3.24.13: Sons ought to render service to their father exactly to this extent. One should obey the command of his father or spiritual master with due deference, saying, "Yes, sir."

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just like Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, amara ajnaya guru hana, "You become a spiritual master under My order." So if you carry out the order of Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Krsna, then you become guru. Amara ajnaya guru hana.

Unfortunately, we do not wish to carry out order of the acaryas. We manufacture our own ways. We have got practical experience how a great institution [Gaudiya Matha] was lost by whimsical ways. Without carrying out the order of the spiritual master, they manufactured something and the whole thing was lost.

Caitanya Mahaprabhu has advised: amara ajnaya guru hana tara' ei desa (Cc. Madhya 7.128). Caitanya Mahaprabhu instructed people to learn from Him and then go teach people within their own villages. One may think, "I am illiterate and have no education. I was not born in a very high family. How can I become a guru?" Caitanya Mahaprabhu says that it is not very difficult. Yare dekha, tare kaha 'krsna'-upadesa: "Simply speak whatever Krsna speaks. Then you become a guru." Whoever speaks what Krsna has not spoken is not a guru but a rascal. A guru only speaks what Krsna has spoken. This is the sastric injunction.

Yare dekha tare kaha 'krsna'-upadesa. Then you become guru. You simply repeat what Krsna has said in the Bhagavad-gita, you become guru. To become guru is not... But if you want to be a bluffer, cheater, then you can talk all nonsense. But if you actually talk only Krsna's words, then you become a guru. It's not very difficult.

Caitanya Mahaprabhu says, amara ajnaya guru hana: "You just become guru on My order." You cannot become guru automatically without following the order of jagad-guru. The government servant... Who is government servant? Who is strictly following the government order, that is government servant. Anyone can say, "I am government servant." No. How you can be?

Similarly, Just like Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, amara ajnaya guru hana, "You become a spiritual master under My order." So if you carry out the order of Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Krsna, then you become guru. Amara ajnaya guru hana. Unfortunately, we do not wish to carry out order of the acaryas. We manufacture our own ways. We have got practical experience how a great institution [Gaudiya Matha] was lost by whimsical ways. Without carrying out the order of the spiritual master, they manufactured something and the whole thing was lost.

Caitanya Mahaprabhu has advised: amara ajnaya guru hana tara' ei desa (Cc. Madhya 7.128). Caitanya Mahaprabhu instructed people to learn from Him and then go teach people within their own villages. One may think, "I am illiterate and have no education. I was not born in a very high family. How can I become a guru?" Caitanya Mahaprabhu says that it is not very difficult. Yare dekha, tare kaha 'krsna'-upadesa: "Simply speak whatever Krsna speaks. Then you become a guru." Whoever speaks what Krsna has not spoken is not a guru but a rascal. A guru only speaks what Krsna has spoken. This is the sastric injunction.

Yare dekha tare kaha 'krsna'-upadesa. Then you become guru. You simply repeat what Krsna has said in the Bhagavad-gita, you become guru. To become guru is not... But if you want to be a bluffer, cheater, then you can talk all nonsense. But if you actually talk only Krsna's words, then you become a guru. It's not very difficult.

Caitanya Mahaprabhu says, amara ajnaya guru hana: "You just become guru on My order." You cannot become guru automatically without following the order of jagad-guru. The government servant... Who is government servant? Who is strictly following the government order, that is government servant. Anyone can say, "I am government servant." No. How you can be? Similarly, guru means who is following the principles given by the jagad-guru."

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Prabhupada: But the directions should be taken from scriptures. But there are many scriptures. So acarya means, just like Gosvamis, they would read all the scriptures and take the essence of it and give it to his disciples, "You act like this." Because he knows what to give, how to manipulate, so that his ekantatah sreyas will be acheived. Ultimate goal. therefore the acarya knows how to adjust things, at the same time keep pace with the spiritual interest (?). That is acarya. It is not that the same thing can be applied everywhere. He is eager to engage actually the people in the real benefit of life, but the means may be different. Just like my guru Maharaja. He is the first sannyasi to drive in a motorcar. A sannyasi never drives in a motorcar, you see? But not for sense gratification. Suppose we are going by aeroplane. A sannyasi should walk. The Jain sannyasis they never ride on a car, you know that. You know that. They will never ride in a car. But now they are also riding. But suppose we are preaching now. I came from India. If I were to say,"I am sannyasi, I will not ride in aeroplane, I must walk." Then what kind of preaching would have been? You see? So therefore it depends on the acarya how to adjust things. So, my Guru Mahraraja,"alright go on preaching on a motorcar, it doesn't matter." These Gosvamis, they went to Vrndavana, severest type of austerities. They used to live underneath a tree. Now if in this age I advise that you also live underneath a tree, then it will be difficult to preach. You see? Nobody is accustomed in that way, such severe type of austerity. They must be given, as far as possible, comfortable accomodations otherwise they will not come. They will not take. Now this.....This is adjustment. The acarya knows how to adjust things. The real purpose is how one will take to spiritual consicousness, or Krnsa consciousness. Keepng one's aim to that point some concession may be given."