IndiaDivine.org

A quick quesion.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi ya'll,

In the Srimad Bhagavatam (4th Canto I believe), Srila Prabhupada claimed that Lord Shiva was born from between the eyes of Lord Brahma.

With respect. Are there any scriptures that verify this?

Thank You All Very Much.

signed; Das.

Here is Srila Prabhupada's scriptural source. He always taught with scriptural backing. It is from the Bhagavatam itself. There may be many other references. I wouldn't know as I am not strong is the scriptures myself.

Most of Prabhupada's books can be read on line by clicking the link that is at the bottom of my post. Once there by clicking on the verse number you will be taken to the original sanskrit with commentary from His Divine Grace.

------------

SB 3.12.1-20

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Srimad Bhagavatam

SB 3.12.1: Sri Maitreya said: O learned Vidura, so far I have explained to you the glories of the form of the Supreme Personality of Godhead in His feature of kala. Now you can hear from me about the creation of Brahma, the reservoir of all Vedic knowledge.

SB 3.12.2: Brahma first created the nescient engagements like self-deception, the sense of death, anger after frustration, the sense of false ownership, and the illusory bodily conception, or forgetfulness of one's real identity.

SB 3.12.3: Seeing such a misleading creation as a sinful task, Brahma did not feel much pleasure in his activity, and therefore he purified himself by meditation on the Personality of Godhead. Then he began another term of creation.

SB 3.12.4: In the beginning, Brahma created four great sages named Sanaka, Sananda, Sanatana and Sanat-kumara. All of them were unwilling to adopt materialistic activities because they were highly elevated due to their semen's flowing upwards.

SB 3.12.5: Brahma spoke to his sons after generating them. "My dear sons," he said, "now generate progeny." But due to their being attached to Vasudeva, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, they aimed at liberation, and therefore they expressed their unwillingness.

SB 3.12.6: On the refusal of the sons to obey the order of their father, there was much anger generated in the mind of Brahma, which he tried to control and not express.

SB 3.12.7: Although he tried to curb his anger, it came out from between his eyebrows, and a child mixed blue and red was immediately generated.

SB 3.12.8: After his birth he began to cry: O destiny maker, teacher of the universe, kindly designate my name and place.

SB 3.12.9: The all-powerful Brahma, who was born from the lotus flower, pacified the boy with gentle words, accepting his request, and said: Do not cry. I shall certainly do as you desire.

SB 3.12.10: Thereafter Brahma said: O chief of the demigods, you shall be called by the name Rudra by all people because you have so anxiously cried.

SB 3.12.11: My dear boy, I have already selected the following places for your residence: the heart, the senses, the air of life, the sky, the air, the fire, the water, the earth, the sun, the moon and austerity.

SB 3.12.12: Lord Brahma said: My dear boy Rudra, you have eleven other names: Manyu, Manu, Mahinasa, Mahan, Siva, Ritadhvaja, Ugrareta, Bhava, Kala, Vamadeva and Dhritavrata.

SB 3.12.13: O Rudra, you also have eleven wives, called the Rudranis, and they are as follows: Dhi, Dhriti, Rasala, Uma, Niyut, Sarpi, Ila, Ambika, Iravati, Svadha and Diksha.

SB 3.12.14: My dear boy, you may now accept all the names and places designated for you and your different wives, and since you are now one of the masters of the living entities, you may increase the population on a large scale.

SB 3.12.15: The most powerful Rudra, whose bodily color was blue mixed with red, created many offspring exactly resembling him in features, strength and furious nature.

SB 3.12.16: The sons and grandsons generated by Rudra were unlimited in number, and when they assembled together they attempted to devour the entire universe. When Brahma, the father of the living entities, saw this, he became afraid of the situation.

SB 3.12.17: Brahma told Rudra: O best among the demigods, there is no need for you to generate living entities of this nature. They have begun to devastate everything on all sides with the fiery flames from their eyes, and they have even attacked me.

SB 3.12.18: My dear son, you had better situate yourself in penance, which is auspicious for all living entities and which will bring all benediction upon you. By penance only shall you be able to create the universe as it was before.

SB 3.12.19: By penance only can one even approach the Personality of Godhead, who is within the heart of every living entity and at the same time beyond the reach of all senses.

SB 3.12.20: Sri Maitreya said: Thus Rudra, having been ordered by Brahma, circumambulated his father, the master of the Vedas. Addressing him with words of assent, he entered the forest to perform austere penances.