IndiaDivine.org

In the beginning was the word and the word was Krsna...

Rate this topic

krsna

Why hamsa is taken, paramahamsa? Hamsa has the capacity... Hamsa means swan. He has got capacity. If you give to the hamsa milk mixed with water, the hamsa has got the capacity, so it will drink the milk and reject the water. Therefore hamsa. And paramahamsa, paramahamsa means although they are in the material world, they have kicked out the material things, but he has taken Krsna. That's all. Krsna is there. Everywhere is Krsna. Isavasyam idam sarvam. Even in this material world there is Krsna, but the hamsa can take it, not the crows. The crows cannot take it. Therefore difference between the crows and hamsas. So those who are in Krsna consciousness, they are being trained up to become hamsas, or they are hamsas. They don't care for anything, material thing. They are concerned with Krsna. Therefore paramahamsa. Krsna is everywhere.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 7.9.18

Mayapur, February 25, 1976

Milk touched by the lips of a serpant has poisonous effects; similarly, talks about Krsna given by an avaisnava are also poisonous. However, because a Vaisnava is surrendered to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, his talks are spiritually potent. In the Bhagavad-gita (10.10) the Supreme Lord says, "tesam satata-yuktanam bhajatam priti-purvakam dadami buddhi-yogam tam yena mam upayanti te." To those who are constantly devoted to worshiping Me with love, I give the understanding by which they can come to Me." When a pure Vaisnava speaks, he speaks perfectly. How is this? His speech is managed by Krsna Himself from within the heart. Srila Ramananda Raya accepts this benediction from Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu; therefore he admits that whatever he was speaking was not derived from his own intelligence. Rather, everything was coming from Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu.

(C.C. Madhya Lila. 8.200)

TRANSLATION. "I cannot properly describe the discourses of Ramananda Raya, for he is not an ordinary human being. He is fully absorbed in the devotional service of the Lord....."There is one other thing Ramananda Raya said to me. `Do not consider me the speaker in these talks about Krsna...."`Whatever I speak is personally spoken by Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Like a stringed instrument, I vibrate whatever He causes me to speak.... "`In this way the Lord speaks through my mouth to preach the cult of Krsna consciousness. Within the world, who will understand this pastime of the Lord?'

PURPORT. One is forbidden to accept the guru, or spiritual master, as an ordinary human being (gurusu nara-matih). When Ramananda Raya spoke to Pradyumna Misra, Pradyumna Misra could understand that Ramananda Raya was not an ordinary human being. A spiritually advanced person who acts with authority, as the spiritual master, speaks as the Supreme Personality of Godhead dictates from within. Thus it is not he that is personally speaking. When a pure devotee or spiritual master speaks, what he says should be accepted as having been directly spoken by the Supreme Personality of Godhead in the parampara system.

(C.C. Antya, 5.71-5.74)

Our knowledge has many, so many flaws. We commit mistake, we are illusioned. Sometimes we speak something and at our heart there is something else. That means we cheat. And our experience all imperfect because our senses are imperfect. Therefore I cannot speak anything to you. If you ask me, "Swamiji, then what you are speaking?" I am speaking simply what the Supreme Personality of Godhead has said. I'm just repeating the same words. That's all. Don't think that I am speaking. I am simply instrument. Real speaker is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is without and within.

(B.G. Lecture 6.1 New York 2nd September, 1966 )

The Personality of Godhead, being situated in everyone's heart, specifically gives a devotee intelligence to describe Him. It is therefore understood that when a devotee writes or speaks about the Supreme Personality of Godhead, his words are dictated by the Lord from within. This is confirmed in Bhagavad-Gita, Tenth Chapter: to those who constantly engage in the transcendental loving service of the Lord, the Lord, from within, dictates what to do next in order to serve Him.

(S.B. 4.9.4)

Vyasa was the spiritual master of Sanjaya, and Sanjaya admits that it was by Vyasa's mercy that he could understand the Supreme Personality of Godhead. This means that one has to understand Krsna not directly but through the medium of the spiritual master. The spiritual master is the transparent medium, although it is true that the experience is still direct. This is the mystery of the disciplic succession. When the spiritual master is bona fide, then one can hear Bhagavad-Gita directly, as Arjuna heard it.....It is to be understood, however, that as Arjuna was fortunate enough to understand Krsna directly, so, by the grace of Vyasa, Sanjaya was also able to hear Krsna directly. Actually there is no difference between hearing directly from Krsna and hearing directly from Krsna via a bona fide spiritual master like Vyasa.

(B.G., 18.75)

Devotee: Srila Prabhupada, it is said in the Bhagavad-gita that if one thinks at the time of death, if he thinks of Krsna, he goes to Krsna. What if one thinks of his spiritual master?

Prabhupada: He will go to Krsna, because spiritual master is also going to Krsna.

Bhagavad-gita 7.2

Nairobi, October 28, 1975

• 1 month later...

Krsna is His name

The Name is Krsna

Krsna is Nama-Avatara

His descent is the Sound of Sri Harinam Sankirtana

By sound ,Krsna has advented Himself ever so kindly to deliver me,you and everyone else who cares to utter the Holy Names of Sri Krsna Hari.

And yet great mis-fortune has stuck me down as I've no attraction for chanting these sweet names of Sri Krsnacandra. Why?

Cause I'm an offender and an envious snake for not drinking the nectar of Harinama-amrta.

Yes ,it is called transcendental consciousness

above and beyond the stretch of material nature.

The Guru is not like us conditioned souls,

who ARE put and locked into a CONDITION

not of our own making.

The Prison house is put up by the state,

similarly this Durga fort of Maya is put up by Krsna via His agents and viceroys who do a darn good job

of keeping us imprisoned ..UNLESS and UNTIL we learn

to SURRENDER.

An unpalatable word for us conditioned souls:SURRENDER.

Try chanting that word to yourself a few times and you'll see what I mean.

"Why the hell should I surrender? And to who ?"

And yet,if we look at things on a deeper and subtle level we are all FULLY surrendered to the modes of material nature.Yes?

Hare Krsna

• 1 month later...

Prajäpati: ...from politics to the world of theology. One of the most misunderstood passages in the western scriptures, things that are..., most speculation about, is the beginning of the Book of John, where it is said, “In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God.” And that Greek word is logos. And so many people have said so many different things about that passage. No one really understands it.

Prabhupäda: They cannot understand the Absolute. God and God’s word are not different. Otherwise, why we are after Bhagavad-gétä? Because Bhagavad-gétä is the words of God. So as good as God.

Umäpati: Absolute?

Prabhupäda: Absolute, yes.

Svarüpa Dämodara: We also say that. We say that the beginning the sound vibration om was there. Om.

Prabhupäda: Yes. Sabdäd anävåtti. In Vedänta-sütra, Sabdäd anävåtti. Sabdät. By vibration.

Prajäpati: But it goes on to say, “Then the word then came down to earth and dwelt with man as Jesus Christ.” They say Lord Jesus Christ was the word incarnate.

Prabhupäda: That’s all right.

Umäpati: Incarnate means flesh, having come down in flesh.

Prabhupäda: That’s all right.

Prajäpati: From our Krsna conscious standpoint, this means a person who is jagad-guru, who is fully living sästra, and therefore non-different from the word of God?

Prabhupäda: Yes, yes. Because he is following the words of God, therefore he is not different from the words of God. It is practical. Just like a lawyer is not different from the law. Therefore he is called lawyer.

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's mercy is so powerful that it acts automatically. If a person renders loving service to Krsna, it never goes in vain. It is recorded in a spiritual account, and in due time it will fructify. This is confirmed by Bhagavad-gita (2.40)

Svalpam apy asya dharmasya trayate mahato bhayat:

'In this endeavor there is no loss or diminution, and a little advancement on this path can protect one from the most dangerous type of fear.'

"Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu has particularly bestowed upon all fallen souls in this age the most potent method of devotional service, and whoever takes to it through the mercy of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is immediately elevated to the transcendental position. Srimad-Bhagavatam recommends: Yajnaih sankirtana-prayair yajanti hi su-medhasah." *

(Caitanya-caritamrta, Madhya-lila 14.16, Purport)

* "In this Age of Kali, people who are endowed with sufficient intelligence will worship the Lord, who is accompanied by His associates, by performance of sankirtana-yajna."

Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

"The more you make advancement in Krishna Consciousness, the more you will see Krishna everywhere. Not only on the bank of the river, but also on streets, lampposts, and so on. The more you see like that you know you are making tangible advancement in Krsna Consciousness.

Actually, there is nothing but Krishna all around us. This is explained in the Gita. He is the taste of water, light of the moon, the fragrance of the flower, light of the sun, sound of the sky, the power of the strong and so on. So one who is making progress in Krishna Consciousness, he can see Krishna everywhere. At every stage of life, who can avoid the sunlight, the moonlight, the fragrance of the flower, the taste of the water, the sound of the sky and so on; but one has to learn it, that there is Krishna in all these varieties of existence. Without Krishna there is nothing."

(Srila Prabhupada letter, December 21, 1967)

Srila Prabhupada's Lecture

at the Hare Krsna Festival at La Salle Pleyel

[June 14, 1974, Paris]

Srila Prabhupada:

sri-krsna-caitanya prabhu-nityananda

sri-advaita gadadhara

srivas-adi-gaura-bhakta-vrnda

(break) ...kindly taking part in this sankirtana movement. This sankirtana movement means vibration of the transcendental sound. In the beginning of creation, sound is the origin of all creation. That is admitted in the Bible also. We are reading a passage from your Bible.

Nitai: The Gospel according to St. John, Chapter One. "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men, and the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehended it not."

Srila Prabhupada: Where it is? So the same thing explained in the Vedic literature. Here it is said that "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God." So God being Absolute Truth, there is no difference between God, His form, His qualities, His words and everything relating to God. That is also God. Just like in the material world the name and the subject, or the substance, they are different. Just like when you are thirsty, you simply utter the word "water, water," it will not quench your thirst. But in the spiritual world, the name "God," or "Krsna," and the Supreme Personality of Godhead, They are the same. Just parallel to this Bible passage I'll quote one Sanskrit verse from the Vedas. Therefore it is said,

nama-cintamani-krsnas

caitanya-rasa-vigrahah

purnah suddho nitya-mukto

'bhinnatvan nama-naminoh

Namely, the name of God is as powerful as God is Himself. It is called purna. Purna means complete. And suddha. Suddha means without any material contamination. Purnah suddha nitya. Nitya means eternal. Abhinnatvan nama-naminoh means without being different from the person whose name we are chanting.

The idea is that when we chant the holy name of God--just like "Krsna"--Krsna is present there. As soon as you chant God's name... Not necessarily that he will have to chant the name Krsna... Any other name which you know that it is God's name, you can chant it. God has got many names, and they can be chanted by different languages in different countries. The effect is the same. Practically, God has no name, but His name is given according to His activities. Just like we are chanting God's name "Krsna." Krsna means "all-attractive." So God is all-attractive. We can have the idea how we consider attractiveness in this material world. One is attractive in this material world if he is very rich, if he is very powerful, if he is very wise, if he is very beautiful. In this way, in six ways one becomes the most attractive. The statement is there in the Vedic literature:

aisvaryasya samagrasya

viryasya yasasah sriyah

jnana-vairagyayos caiva

sannam iti bhaga gana

Means God is all-attractive by six features: that He is the richest of all, He is the strongest of all, He is the most beautiful, He is the most wise, He is the most renounced order, and He is most famous. So our position, we all living entities, all the living entities or the human being who are sitting in this hall, we are all sons of God. (someone calls out "No," and there is a little applause, Prabhupada chuckles) It is stated in the Bhagavad-gita that... You find out this verse,

sarva-yonisu kaunteya

sambhavanti murtayo yah

tasam mahad yonir brahma

aham bija-pradah pita

Read it. You read it.

Nitai:

sarva-yonisu kaunteya

murtayah sambhavanti yah

tasam mahad-yonir brahma

aham bija-pradah pita

"It should be understood that all species of life, O son of Kunti, are made possible by birth in this material nature, and that I am the seed-giving father."

Srila Prabhupada: So according to Vedic conception, any living entity, in any form of life, they are all part and parcel of God. (someone yells out, "No!" and yells some things in French) Your Bible says that in the beginning there was word only, and the word is God. So before the creation, the God was there. Then all the created creatures, wherefrom they came? They came from God. It is clearly stated in this verse, "All things were made by Him." So original creator of everything was God. Everything means including all, not only a certain person or certain thing. Everything means everything, all. So all things were made by God means..., "made by Him" means that all these creatures... There are different creatures, 8,400,000. They were created by God. One who creates, he is the father. Just like in the material sense also, a father creates his children. So how can you say "No"? Because here in the Bible it is said that "All things were made by Him, created by Him." Therefore He is the father of everything. "And without Him was not anything made that was made." So you cannot deny the authoritative statement of Vedas or Bible by your whimsical way. When you go to your church, you ask, "Father, give us our daily bread." That means He is father of everyone. This is perfect knowledge, that God is father of everything that is made. Here it is clearly stated, "All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that was made." That is also statement of the Vedanta-sutra, the most perfect philosophy of Vedic language. In the Vedanta-sutra it is said, athato brahma-jijnasa, means "This human life is meant for inquiring about God." So the first understanding of God is that He is the creator of everything.

So the present Krsna consciousness movement is meant for understanding God. This Krsna consciousness movement is started not now, say, in your country, Western countries say, for the last six or seven years, but the Krsna consciousness movement is on this planet for the last five thousand years. When I say Krsna consciousness, it means God consciousness. So human being, human life, is meant for understanding God and become God conscious. In the animal life there is no possibility of understanding God. When we invite by advertisement, "Please come here in this meeting. We shall discuss something about God," the human being comes, not the cats and dogs. This is... (big applause) So human being is the chance given by nature to understand about God. If we do not take chance, if we do not fulfill this chance--that means we have got this chance to understand God--then our next life may not be human being. The soul is within your body. The soul is the part and parcel of God. If you try to understand what is the soul, then partially you understand what is God. If you study yourself, then you study to some extent what is God, because you are the sample of God. It is also stated in the Bible that human being is made under the image of God. So if you study yourself--that is called meditation--then you can understand what is God. Therefore the yoga system is recommended. Those who are in bodily consciousness of life, for them, this meditation yoga, or to understand oneself, that is very important thing. If you try to understand yourself, very simple method... You take your finger. You ask yourself whether you are finger, the answer will be "No, I am not finger. It is my finger." Everyone will say, even a child will say, "This is my finger, my hand, my leg, my head." Nobody will say that "I leg, I finger, I head." Nobody will say. Therefore the conclusion should be I, the soul, is different from this material body. The material body changes on account of presence of the soul. Just like a child gets a different body like a boy; a boy gets a different body like a young man. Similarly, young man gets another body as an old man. Every one of us can consider that "I had a small body of child. I had a small body of boy. I had a youthful body. Now I have got this old body." By this simple study, I can understand that I am different from the body. And because I am eternal, in all forms of body I was existing. That I can understand also.

Therefore in the Bhagavad-gita it is said, na hanyate hanyamane sarire: "After the destruction of this body, I, the soul, I am not destroyed. I continue to live." The soul is eternal. That is described in the Bhagavad-gita: nityah sasvato 'yam na hanyate hanyamane sarire. Eternal, very old, still, after the destruction of the body, the soul is never destroyed. Death means destruction of this outer, gross material body. Every day, every night we have got experience: the body lies down on the bed, but with my subtle body--mind, intelligence and ego--I dream and I go somewhere else from my bedroom. So this is going on daily in our experience, that I leave this gross body, I take my subtle body, and I do something else, although my body is here. The conclusion is therefore that I, the soul, am changing my body from the gross to the subtle, from the subtle to the gross. In our daily life we have got experience that I accept this subtle body. The subtle body is there. There is no question of acceptance. But with the subtle body I dream, and again when the dream is over, then I come to this gross body. So death means when the subtle body carries the soul to another gross body, not this gross body, that is called death. So this subtle body--means mind, intelligence and ego--that carries me to another body according to the nature of my mind. At the time of death, as the mind is absorbed, I mean to say, full of thoughts, according to that full of thoughts, we are given another gross body. That is stated in the Bhagavad-gita, that anta-kale, yam yam vapi smaran bhavam tyajaty ante kalevaram. Bhavam, the attitude, the modes of the mind at the time of death, will carry me to the next gross body. Therefore it is necessary to prepare ourself what kind of body we are going to get after death. In the Bhagavad-gita it is said, "After death, the soul," tatha dehantara-praptih, "gets another body." Now, we can see in our experience, there are so many different types of bodies. There are 900,000 species of bodies in the water. There are two million different types of bodies in the vegetables kingdom, means the trees and plants. There are eleven hundred thousand species of life in the insect kingdom. There are one million types of bodies in the bird kingdom. And there are three million types of bodies in the beast life. And there are 400,000 species of body in the human society. Out of them, the civilized man is considered to be perfectly in bodily situation.

So this human form of body is given to us by nature to understand God. In other forms of life there is no chance of understanding God. Therefore it is our duty, everyone's duty, before the next death comes, we must understand what is God. If we simply misuse this body like cats and dogs, then we are missing the chance. We cannot say that we are free. That is not possible. We are completely under the control of the material nature. That is stated in the Bhagavad-gita:

prakrteh kriyamanani

gunair karmani sarvasah

ahankara-vimudhatma

iti manyate mudha

That we, everyone of us, at the present moment in our conditional state of life, we are completely under the, I mean to say, mercy or care of the material nature. There are three modes of material nature, namely goodness, passion and ignorance. When we are under the control of this material nature, we associate with either of these qualities. If we associate with the quality of goodness, then we are promoted in the higher world. This is stated in the Bhagavad-gita:

urdhvam gacchanti sattva-stha

madhye tisthanti rajasah

jaghanya-guna-vrtti-stha

adho gacchanti tamasah

Means "Those who are associating with the modes of material nature goodness, they will be promoted to the higher planetary system. Those who are associating with the modes of passion, they'll remain in the middle planetary system." (break)

So as it is said that in the beginning was the word, that means before the creation there was the transcendental sound. So that word, or transcendental sound, is not like the material sound. If we associate with the transcendental sound Hare Krsna, then we become purified to become transcendental. Just like we can have a crude example. You take one iron rod and put into the fire. The iron rod will be warm, warmer, and gradually it will be red hot. When it is red hot, then it is no longer the iron rod; it is fire. So how it has become fire? By association with the fire. Simply, therefore, if you simply keep yourself touch with God by the vibration of transcendental sound, gradually you become godly. So as soon as you become godly, you become the same quality--aisvaryasya samagrasya: full riches, full power, full strength, full knowledge, everything full. Therefore the Vedic instruction is tamasi ma jyotir gamah: "Don't keep yourself in darkness. Come to the light." So our only request is at the present moment, the whole world is for want of godly understanding. They are in darkness. So our duty is, when we have got this privilege of this human form of life, we should not keep ourself in darkness. Darkness means without any knowledge of the soul and God. So long I am thinking that "I am this body," it is in darkness. Except the human being, any other living being, they are all in darkness. Therefore human being's business is not to keep himself in darkness, but come to the light. So long we have got this material body, there are four necessities of life. They are eating, sleeping, sex intercourse and defense. So the cats and dogs, they also eat, they sleep, they have sex life and they can defend also. So therefore a human being should not be educated only for these four principles of animal necessities. The human necessity is to understand God. Therefore in civilized human society, there is some system of religion. Either you call it Christianity, Muhammadanism, or Hinduism, in civilized society there must be some form of religion. And a human being is supposed to follow the principles to have complete knowledge about God and himself, to know "What is the relationship between God and me?" and what is the goal of life.

So it doesn't matter whether you are Christian, Hindu, Muslim. The real purpose of life is to know God. And in the Vedic literature it is said, dharmam tu saksat bhagavat-pranitam: Dharma, or religion, means the codes given by God. Just like in the state we have got practical experience. We, if we abide by the laws of the state, then we are good citizen, peaceful citizen... (yelling noises and applause in the audience) (aside:) What is that?

Jyotirmayi: They don't like this because they don't like the laws of the state. So when you use the example of the state, they don't like it.

Srila Prabhupada: You may not like, sir, but if you do not follow you will be punished. (boos and yells) Anyway, if you do not follow the codes and laws of the state or God, then certainly you will be punished. (yelling) You may declare independence, but there is no, I mean, the possibility of such independence. That requires knowledge. (someone yelling)

Jyotirmayi: He is saying that there are some people who would like to ask some questions.

Srila Prabhupada: So immediately if you want to put some questions, then I can stop. Or if you want me to go on speaking I will speak. As you like. (more yelling) We can stop speaking?

Yogesvara: Jyotirmayi will say we can have questions after you finish.

Srila Prabhupada: No, we can finish it now.

Jyotirmayi: (French)

Srila Prabhupada: So now let us conclude that there is God and God's word, or God's vibration, means God is person. As soon as we accept the word of God, then we have to conclude that God is a person. Just like you are vibrating some words, I am vibrating some words. This means both of us, we are all persons. So the word of God and God is not different. But God is person and He speaks. If He speaks, then He hears, He smells, He eats--everything. All the activities are there. If He cannot hear, then our prayer to Him, "O God, give us our daily bread," is useless. So from this statement of the scripture, either you take it Bible or Bhagavad-gita, it is understood that God is a person like you. That is the statement of the Vedas, nityo nityanam cetanas cetananam eko yo bahunam vidadhati kaman, namely that God means He is the Supreme Being. In the dictionary also it is stated, "God means the Supreme Being." We are all beings, but God is the Supreme Being. Just like in every state, there are citizens, but there is one chief citizen. He is president or something like that. (noise in the audience)

Jyotirmayi: They don't like this government example.

Srila Prabhupada: No, no, it is not example. It is stated in the Vedic literature. Nityo nityanam cetanas cetananam. He is the chief living being amongst all living beings. God, is eternal; we are also eternal. God is also a living being; we are also a living being. This is the meaning. But God is one; we are many. And what is the significance of that one? That is stated: eko yo bahunam vidadhati kaman. "That one is maintaining so many living beings." That is God. So because He is a person, we are also person, but He is the person who maintains us. Therefore we go to God and beg for our daily bread. So our constitutional position is that we are predominated, and God is predominator. We are very small; God is very great. At the present moment we are defying this position; therefore we are in trouble. In our Krsna consciousness movement we are educating people that "You are always subordinate to Krsna. You surrender unto Him and you be happy. Do not remain in rebellious condition of life. Just surrender to God and you will be happy." That is the final conclusion of Bhagavad-gita, sarva-dharman parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja. So you are planning, we are planning so many things to become happy, but everything is failure. But if you take this plan, "Let us surrender to God," then every problem will be solved. Our Krsna consciousness movement is not that, that "You are Hindu. You become Christian," or "You are Christian. You become Hindu." That is not our plan. Our only request is that "Every one of you, you try to understand God, love Him and be happy." The final conclusion in the Bhagavad-gita is that if you want to be peaceful, if you want the peace of your mind, you should understand three things. That three things are that to understand that God is the supreme enjoyer. This is one. He is the proprietor of everything, and He is friend of everyone. If you learn these three things only, very scientifically, that God is the proprietor, God is the enjoyer, and God is the supreme friend of everyone, then your life is successful. And these simple things will be understood by you by chanting God's name: Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare. Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. Hare means the energy of God, and Krsna means God, all-attractive. Similarly, Rama means God. So there are three words in this verse: Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare. Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare: Hare, Krsna and Rama. So anyone can chant these three names, Hare, Krsna and Rama, and make his life successful. I hope you shall join us in this chanting of Hare Krsna maha-mantra.

Jyotirmayi: They want to ask questions.

Srila Prabhupada: That you arrange. That arrange. No, you can ask. That's all.

Question: (French) (big applause)

Jyotirmayi: So he is saying that "You have been explaining what is God according to Bible and Bhagavad-gita." So he wants to know if to be able to talk in that way you have met God, you have seen God, and if God has given you the authority for being seated on this vyasasana and receiving the obeisances of your disciples.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes. You can also get this position. If you know God and if you can speak about God, then you are also welcome to sit here and speak about God.

Jyotirmayi: (translating) He says that the only thing he can say about God is that he cannot talk about God.

Srila Prabhupada: Why? You can talk about everything, and why not about God?

Jyotirmayi: (translating) "Because God is one who cannot be seen, cannot be taken to be understood."

Srila Prabhupada: But that is your statement. But the Bible statement, Bhagavad-gita statement is different. Why shall I take you as authority?

Jyotirmayi: (translating) He says that God means freedom, and God will not be...

Srila Prabhupada: How do you know it? First of all let me know how you know it about God that He is freedom or this or that. How you know it?

Jyotirmayi: (translating) "Because everyone has inside him knowledge of God, and one just has to listen within himself and he will know."

Srila Prabhupada: So I have got my own knowledge of God as you have got. Why you disagree with me?

Jyotirmayi: (translating) He says but he doesn't sit on a throne and he doesn't ask people to pay obeisances in front of him.

Srila Prabhupada: So if you want to hear me, I can get down from the throne. (big applause and yells) (some man makes an announcement in French) (general talk in French and many people yelling things out from the audience)

Jyotirmayi: He is saying two things. He is saying that when one wants to understand, he must act as a student.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes, that is good, very good. (people still yelling) Now let us chant Hare Krsna. Chant. (end)

The way to determine tangible advancement is that we will feel we arn't making any.

The closer to Krsna the futher away we feel I have no love for Krsna should be our real feeling. But it can't be imitated or false pretence, it must be real. But this doesn't deterr us from trying to see Krsna everywhere, but this vision of the Suddha bhakta is very rare and comes as a gracious grant from the Absolute Himself.

• 7 months later...

Our Srila Prabhupada has asked everyone to do so,

yes it takes fearlessness, what have we to lose by following this one small instruction -to tell others no matter where we may be living working teaching etc.

Sooner or later everyone that has ever contacted Srila Prabhupada,will be forced by the heart to do so.Whether prasad, kirtan or book .....we will always be indebted and obliged to share what this divine man AC Bhaktivedanta Srila Prabhupada has selflessly shared with us....

Whether we've fallen from grace and dug in deep to MAYA'S mire....this person never left or abandoned us regardless the dark hour of need....he is forever in the hearts of his disciple, and he awaits our cries of stubborn despiration so to lift us aboard this great ship of Sri Sri Caitanya Nityananda....keep your eyes to the stars me boys, don't cast your hearts to the sea.

by Jagannatha Tirtha das (VINA)

The name "Christ" means "annointed one". This is take from the Greek word "Christos". Some language historians trace the Greek language to the oldest Indo-European language, Sanskrit, which is 3,500 to 6,000 years old, perhaps older. By finding a Sanskrit equivilant, it is reasonable that we may be able to ascertain the probable origin of the word "Christ". The Greek "Christos" is almost identical in sound and spelling to the Sanskrit word "Krista", meaning all-attractive. Sometimes we meet a girl named Krista or Crystal.

These are common American names. The Sanskrit word "Krista" is a variation of the word KRISHNA, one of the countless and ancient names for God Almighty in that language. The name "Krishna" also means "all attractive". Who is the most attractive person? GOD, of course. Why is God a Person? It is written, "MAN IS MADE IN THE IMAGE OF GOD." If we are persons, then logically, as our creator, God is the Supreme Person. Why is God called "All-attractive"? Because He has everything in full.... including power, fame, renunciation, wealth, personal beauty, and intelligence. Human beings may have some of these attributes in part. But God, as the Supreme Person, has everything in full, with no shortage in any way. No one possesses anything beautiful, intelligent, great, powerful or more opulently than God Almighty. Even the Atheists are attracted to the power of God Almighty, albeit, in a negative manner.

We should ask, "What do Christ and Krishna have in commom? It is common knowlege that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, Who he called "The Father". He referred to himself as the Son of God dozens of times, and to God the Father over 200 times in the New Testament. What is not generally known is that God has many names in many languages, not just a few Biblical names. One such name for God is Krishna. Initially, we may object, but when we think about this concept without anger, prejudice, or preconceived bias, we can logically conclude that God must have unlimited names, because God himself is unlimited, by the very definition of the word... "GOD".

American Indians have names for the Holy Spirit. The Eskimos, the same. Muslims call God "Allah". People in all lands of the Earth have different names for God. If we contemplate this idea for a moment in silent prayer, then we can understand it's simple, obvious truth. There are countless names for God.

Why irrationally object because of our own prejudicial feelings? God, being unlimited, must have unlimited names. This is the logical conclusion. One of these names for God is Krishna, the self-same Jehovah-God of the Holy Bible.

Another name for God is Rama. In Hebrew, this truth is explained... "SHEMAH YISRAEL ADONOI ELOHENU ADONOI ECHAD"..."HEAR! O ISRAEL, THE LORD OUR GOD, THE LORD IS ONE." We may want ot object, but God Is ONE, portrayed differently in different cultures and lands of the world by his different names and pastimes. Knowing this truth is the beginning of wisdom and inner peace, the initiation of our own personal mental healing, the casting out of our own "devils" of prejudice and of our unconscious hatred for others.

Understanding that God is ONE for all people of the Earth implies; the eventual dissolution of our inner feelings of mistrust for others who seem different than ourselves, but whom Jesus taught us to love even as our very selves. God is ONE, and all human beings are family members.

The Old Testament declares that by the Holy Name of the Lord one will be saved, and shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. In this way, the individual is encouraged to take shelter of God's holy names. "Christ" indicates the Son of God. The name "Krishna" denotes God the Father, as in the Judeo/Christian reference to God. Christ or Krishna, the name is the same. Like Father, Like Son, as the old saying goes.

We may conclude that the etymological derivation of the English world "Christ" is the Sanskrit word "Krishna". It is always advisable to chant and sing the holy names of Christ or Krishna. Catholic priests use the Greek name "Christos" freequently in hymns and while chanting prayers.

Many Christians also sing hymns, using the English translation "Christ". Franciscan monks and many other monastic sects use the Latin names "Jesu Christe" in Gregorian chants. Also, in India and now around the world, many worshippers of God sing the universal, non-sectarian names of "Krishna". There is no duality or spiritual conflict of interest. In this way, one may chant any of God's millions of names in devotion for protection, self purification and eventual liberation.

Unfortunately, many people who believe in God waste much valuable time arguing about the 'correctness' of their own chosen religion. But 'correctness' is not the point, nor the goal, nor the final outcome of religion. Developing our love for God and others is the essential goal of all religious thought.

The command of Jesus Christ, the spiritual master of the Christian world is, "Love the Supreme Lord with all your heart, soul and mind," and also, "Love your neighbor as your very own self." It is fairly obvious that the international neighbors of Christians are Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Sikhs, Hare` Krishnas, etc. According to Christ's command, Christians do not need to quarrel with their neighbors of different religious persuasions, but simply love them.

Such argumentative behavior was and is contrary and counterproductive to Jesus Christ's command, "Love thy neighbor." How can you fight with someone you are instructed to love by your spiritual master. Jesus never recommended such fighting, nor killing of others who were different, as has been an unfortunate part of Christian expansion and history. Jesus commanded his followers, "If you love only your own kind, then you are nor better than the common people and the sinners." In all Scriptures it is recommended to glorify the holy names of the Lord, and to treat others as you like to be treated yourself, the "GOLDEN RULE". In this way, there is no necessity to want to change anybody to be like ourselves. We are all certainly still spiritually growing, and in much need of understanding just what Jesus meant when he stated: "Love the Lord and love your neighbor." One may sing or glorify any of God's holy names. The Bible encourages us... "From sunrise to sunset, one should sing the praises of the holy names of the Lord." Similarly, the Vedic literatures encourage us to chant and sing...

HARE` KRISHNA HARE` KRISHNA KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE`

HARE` HARE` RAMA HARE` RAMA RAMA RAMA HARE` HARE`

Jesus healed others by the potencies of God's holy names. In this regard, Jesus states: "I have come to glorify the Father, and do nothing of my own accord." This was Jesus's personal sentiment, that everything depended upon God, the Father. He denied doing anything by his own power. We are all powerless without God's grace. Even Jesus Christ is powerless without the grace of God the "Father". If we sing and chant the holy names of the Son or the Father, the end result will be the same. Countless thousands have been healed an purfied over the centuries by the holy names of Jesus and Christ. In this world, calamities abound at every step. If somehow or other, we can learn to rely upon the holy names of Christ, Christos, Hare` Krishna, or Hare` Rama, then surely we will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. People who are different than ourselves deserve the same love and consideration that Jesus offered them when he taught us: "Love thy neighbor".

Jesus commanded it of those who chose to be called his true followers. "If you love me, then follow my commandments." No one is superior to anyone else. Jesus never had such prejudicial feelings, and considered himself the servant of humanity. Jesus therefore commanded Christians to offer the same love and respect they wished for themselves to all others, whether they be Buddhists, Jews, Hare` Krishnas, Jesuit Monks, or Muslims. By taking shelter of the holy names of God, this love for God and respect for one and all can factually be acheived in a very short time. Thank you for your consideration of this short message of hope. May the Lord bless your and your family.

"Remember Krsna 24 Hours A Day"

66/10/02 New York, Bhagavad-gita 7.8-14

Prabhupada:

raso 'ham apsu kaunteyaprabhasmi sasi-suryayohpranavah sarva-vedesusabdah khe paurusam nrsu

Now, Lord Krsna is describing how you become Krsna conscious fully, in every step of your life. This verse we have been discussing last day, that raso 'ham apsu kaunteya. Now, this glass of water, the taste, the juice of this water, is Krsna. You cannot, when you are thirsty..., this water given by God; there is no other replacement. If somebody offers me,

"Instead of water, you drink gold,"

no, this water is required. The taste of water is so nice that when I am thirsty, I require water. No manufacturer can create this taste of the water. Therefore, which is not possible to produce by any human being, that is God's.So raso 'ham apsu kaunteya. We can remember Krsna, or God, when we drink water because nobody can avoid drinking water. So the God consciousness is there. How can you forget? Raso 'ham apsu kaunteya prabhasmi sasi-suryayoh. When there is some illumination, when there is some illumination... (aside:) You want to come here? I ask this... All right. When there is some illumination, that illumination is also Krsna. The original effulgence is brahmajyoti. That is in the spiritual sky. This material sky is covered; therefore the nature of this material sky is darkness. Now, at night we are experiencing the real nature of this material world -- it is darkness. Artificially, it is being illuminated by the sun, by the moon, by the electricity. Otherwise, it is darkness. So this illumination is God. We have to understand -- this illumination.Now, how this illumination is coming? Originally, in the spiritual sky, just like the sun has the shining force which we call sunshine, similarly in the, from the kingdom of God, there is a shining which is called brahmajyoti. The brahmajyoti is reflected by the sun; the moon is reflected by the sun. I mean to say, sun is reflection of brahmajyoti, and moon is reflection of the sun. Everyone, you know, the stars, glittering stars, they are also reflection of the sun. Similarly, this electricity is also reflection of sun. The diamond, the jewels, everything, that is reflection of sun. (some outside radio noise) That's all right. So Krsna says, prabhasmi sasi-suryayoh. Sasi. Sasi means the moon, and surya... Surya means the sun. And in the spiritual world there is no need of sun and moon. Na tad bhasayate suryo na sasanko na pavakah [bg. 15.6]. In the spiritual world there is no need of sun, there is no need of moon, there is no need of electricity. Because in the spiritual sky everything is illuminated, so there is no need. So we can remember God, or Krsna, when you see some illuminating property.Pranavah sarva-vedesu. When we chant Vedic mantra, om tad visnoh paramam padam sada pasyanti surayah... Om bhur bhuvah svah tat savitur varenyam bhargo devasya dhimahi. Now, this omkara, om, that is the beginning. This omkara is addressing. Just like we are addressing, "Hare Krsna," this is also addressing, "O Hara, O Krsna." This omkara is also addressing. So this omkara is Krsna, is God. Pranavah sarva-vedesu sabdah khe paurusam nrsu. And sabda means sound. Whenever you hear some sound, you should know, "This is vibration of the transcendental sound." The sound which we are vibrating, that is pure spiritual sound. But any sound in the material world, that is reflection of that spiritual sound. So when you hear sound,

you can remember God. When you drink water, you can remember God. When you see some illumination, you can remember God. And when you chant some mantra, some hymn, that also you can remember God. So where you cannot remember God? Everywhere. This is Krsna consciousness, God consciousness. Always, twenty-four hours we can remember Krsna. That remembrance means that Krsna is with me. Krsna is already with me, but as soon as you remember, that is factual. Because the devotional service,sravanam kirtanam visnohsmaranam pada-sevanamarcanam vandanam dasyam...[sB 7.5.23]There are nine different process of associating with God. The first, preliminary association is sravanam. Just like you are hearing. You are kindly hearing the speeches of Lord Krsna. That means you are associating with Krsna, or God. Always remember when we speak of Krsna, Krsna means God. So because we are hearing, we are associating with God. And as we are associating with God, then your material contamination is being reduced. Srnvatam sva-kathah krsnah punya-sravana-kirtanah [sB 1.2.17]. As you go on hearing, then the contamination which you have acquired in this material world, that is being reduced. So by the association of God in this way, by consciousness, that "Here is God, here is Krsna. In sound there is Krsna, in the taste of the water there is Krsna, in the illumination there is Krsna," so how you can avoid Krsna? Every step you can remember Krsna. And if you can remember in that way, then your association is permanent, twenty-four hours, your association with Krsna.So association with Krsna means just like association with daylight, sunshine, there is no question of contamination. If you get sunshine always, oh, you will never be..., ultra violet rays... That is scientific truth. If you are always in the sunshine, there will be no disease. This is a practical point. This is a practical fact, that modern medical science, they approve a disease incurable. They recommend, "Just lie down on the sunshine." Yes, it is a fact. And Vedic rules, one man who is diseased, he worships sun. That means he has to come into the sunshine, and naturally his disease will be cured. Similarly, as you associate with sunshine, you are cured of all diseases, similarly, if you associate with Krsna always by consciousness, there is no trouble. There is no material trouble. Try it. Simply by sounding Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare. Not only sounding, this is also going on at the same time, this consciousness: "This water is Krsna. The taste of the water is Krsna. The sound is Krsna. This illumination is Krsna." In this way you have to practice.The only thing is that our present stage is forgetfulness. We have forgotten, that's all. So we have to revive. We have to revive our spiritual life, our spiritual consciousness. And the simple process is this sravanam. This act, which you are performing, is approved by Lord Caitanya. Sthane sthitah sruti-gatam tanu-van-manobhih. When Lord Caitanya was speaking with Ramananda Raya... He is a great friend of Lord Caitanya and great devotee, just like Krsna and Arjuna. So Ramananda Raya was explaining about gradual development of spiritual life. So he recommended so many things -- varnasrama-dharma, sannyasa, and renunciation of work. Lord Caitanya says, "No, it is not so good. It is not so good. It is not so good." In this way, when he was... Ramananda Raya, he was proposing something, that "This is the system of promoting spiritual consciousness," and Caitanya Mahaprabhu was rejecting, "No, no. You say something more, better than." Then he was proposing another, another, another.When the eighth stage, when Ramananda Raya cited one verse from the Vedic literature... This literature isjnane prayasam udapasya namanta evajivanti san-mukharitam bhavadiya-vartamsthane sthitah sruti-gatam tanu-van-manobhirye prayaso 'jita jito 'py asi tais tri-lokyam.

The purport of this verse is that jnane prayasam udapasya: "One should give up his unnecessary endeavor for philosophical speculation about God." One should give it up, jnane prayasam, because by speculation you cannot reach to the ultimate truth. How far... How can you... Just suppose we are speculating... Very great scientists are speculating about the nature of the moon from here. But they are speculating. They have not come to any conclusion. So you go on speculating, which you have no experience. You go on speculating, but the real nature of that thing will never come to you.So jnane prayasam. Especially for understanding God, or God consciousness, speculation is useless. So Lord Caitanya, I mean to say the Bhagavata, says that jnane prayasam udapasya, that that sort of endeavor, speculating, should be given up. Namanta eva: "You just become submissive." Just become submissive, that "What I am? I am insignificant creature in this universe." This world, this earth, is an insignificant point in the universe. And within this earth, the America is a small spot. And within America, this New York City is another small spot. And in this New York City, I am there. So what is my importance? So we should understand that we are very insignificant in comparison to the creation of the whole cosmic situation and God. So we should be very submissive. We should understand our position. Artificially, we should not be puffed up, the frog philosophy.The frog philosophy is that a frog in the well, he was informed about the Atlantic Ocean by his friend, and the frog inquired from him, "Oh, what is that Atlantic Ocean?Oh, it is a huge, vast span of water." Now, the frog is in the well, he is thinking, "Oh, it may be double than this well or it may be triple than this well, or a hundred times," in this way, calculating. But do you think by such calculation the frog will ever come to the conclusion how length and breadth is of Atlantic Ocean? So this is all frog philosophy. We are very tiny. Our knowledge, power of speculating, is limited always. So we cannot speculate about the Supreme. It is a useless waste of time. Therefore Bhagavata says, "You give up this. You give up this process of speculating." Jnane prayasam udapasy a: "Give it up." Then what is next? "Now, be submissive. Be submissive." Then? "All right, let me become submissive. Then next?" Jnane prayasam udapasya namanta eva san-mukharitam bhavadiya-vartam: "You just try to understand, just try to hear the message of God."The message of God is just like Bhagavad-gita or Bible, any, as you like. Just try to hear, san-mukharitam vartam, from realized soul. Just like the truths of Bible were spoken by Lord Jesus Christ or Krsna. Any, whatever you like, you hear. Jnane prayasam udapasya namanta eva san-mukharitam bhavadiya-vartam. But you must hear about the Supreme Personality of Godhead and nothing more. That should be your profession. Then what will be the result? The result will be sthane sthitah. In whatever condition you are, that doesn't matter. "Oh, I am a very poor man." That doesn't matter. "Oh, I am a very rich man." That doesn't matter. "Oh, I am European." It doesn't matter. "I am Indian." Doesn't matter. "I am born very low." Oh, doesn't matter. Anything, unconditional. You remain whatever you are; that doesn't matter. If you simply hear, sthane sthitah sruti-gatam, if you simply give your aural reception to these transcendental words, the result will be that God, who can never be conquered, you'll conquer God. How you conquer? You will conquer by love. God cannot be conquered, but He can be conquered by love.Just like Arjuna. Arjuna was a friend of Krsna. How he conquered? Now, Krsna became his driver. The Personality of Godhead, who is the Supreme, everyone's master, He became a menial servant of Arjuna. So God is so lovable, and He reciprocates His love in this way. So you can conquer. Just like Krsna became the son of Nanda Maharaja, and when He was child, He took the shoes of Nanda Maharaja on His head just like child play. You see? So these are symptoms of conquering God. What you... You are trying to become one with God? Oh, you can become father of God. You can become father of God. God has no father but He accepts His devotee, His lover, "Oh, you are My father." So that is the question. So if this process is for simply hearing, aural reception, sincerely, then by this process, whatever position I may be, in whatever position I may be, I can conquer the Supreme Lord. He agrees to be conquered.This Krsna consciousness should be spread. It is very easy. You drink water -- oh, you remember Krsna. You hear something -- oh. Suppose there are... So many sounds are occurring in the street, but if you know that "This sound is Krsna," then in every step you will feel Krsna.Then again He says,punyo gandhah prthivyam catejas casmi vibhavasaujivanam sarva-bhutesutapas casmi tapasvisuHe is describing more elaborately. How is that? Now, punyo gandhah prthivyam ca. Punyo gandhah means flavor, the flavor. Any flavor, that is Krsna, that is God. You cannot create any flavor. Synthetically, we may create some scent, but that is not as good as natural scent. So that is... When you have a good flavor, you can remember, "Oh, here is God. Here is Krsna." When there is some natural beauty, oh, you can understand, "Here is Krsna." And when there is something uncommon, very powerful, wonderful, oh, you can understand, "Here is Krsna." And when there is life, jivanam... As long a tree lives, as long a man lives, as long as animal lives, so you understand, "This life, this life is part and parcel of Krsna." As soon as the part and parcel of Krsna, the spark, is taken away from that body, oh, everything goes. No meaning. So nice brain, we are acting -- Sir Isaac Newton, Sir Jagadish Chandra Bose. But as soon as that small particle of Krsna's part and parcel is removed from this body, no more Sir Isaac Newton working. Finish.So jivanam sarva-bhutanam: He is the life. He is the life. We can see in every step God. People say, "Can you show me God?" Yes. God is seen in so many ways. You just try to see. If you close your eyes, that "I shall not see God," then who can show you? But you can see God in every step. Jivanam sarva-bhutesu tapas casmi tapasvisu. Tapas casmi, any kind of penance, any kind of perseverance, that is also God. Tapas casmi tapasvisu. Bijam mam sarva-bhutanam viddhi partha sanatanam. And bijam. Bijam means seed. The seed is sanatana, that is eternal. Sanatana means eternal. There is a gigantic tree, but what is the platform, that is the background of this gigantic tree seed? That small seed, that mustardlike grain, seed. That is the background of this large tree.Bijam mam sarva-bhutanam viddhi partha sanatanam. And that seed is eternal. The seed within me, within you, everyone, the seed is there. And as soon as the seed takes place in the mother's womb, the seed begins to fructify, little by little. Then it comes out. When it is properly developed with hands and legs and eyes, it comes out from the mother's womb. Then again develops, again develops. He becomes a boy, he becomes a youth, he becomes a... So many things, changes everything. But that seed is permanent. The body is changing, but the seed is there. Therefore it is sanatana.It is very easy to understand how we change our body. We are changing our body every moment, imperceptibly. Imperceptibly, we are changing our body every, every moment, every second. So change of body is a fact. Therefore that bijam, that small particle, spark of spirit, that is sanatana. This body is changing. Now, when it is changed to another body, that means transmigration of the soul from one body to another. This is a fact, and it is not very difficult to understand. We are changing our body every moment. Bijam mam sarva-bhutanam viddhi partha sanatanam, buddhir buddhimatam asmi. One who is very intelligent, that intelligence, extraordinary intelligence, must be considered, "Oh, he is Krsna." Without being especially favored by Krsna, nobody can become extraordinarily intelligent. Anyone... Everyone is trying that "I shall be more intelligent than my friend, my others," but without Krsna's, I mean to say,

special favor, nobody can become extraordinarily intelligent. Therefore, wherever you find extraordinary intelligence, you should consider, "Oh, there is Krsna." This is Krsna consciousness.Buddhir buddhimatam asmi tejas tejasvinam aham. One who is very influential, that influence is Krsna. That influence, that particular influence of a particular man, that is also Krsna. Balam balavatam caham. And one is very strong, stout and strong, that particular strength is also Krsna. Just like an elephant is very strong. And more than elephant, the gorilla is still more strong. That strength, wherefrom..., wherefrom he gets strength? Now, suppose I am a human being. I cannot get such strength by my own endeavor, but I can get strength ten thousand times more than the elephant if Krsna favors. Therefore strength. Just like Bhima. Bhima had strength ten thousand times than an elephant. He was so strong. There is no question of not believing. Because as I find that you are stronger than me and he is stronger than you, oh, similarly, there are many degrees of strength. Now, these degrees of strength is Krsna. So you can understand Krsna. Without Krsna's favor, nobody can be stronger than the others. So balam balavatam asmi.Kama-raga-vivarjitam. Kama. Kama means desire. Raga-vivarjitam, without attraction. Desire without attraction, that is Krsna. Desire without attraction, how it can be possible? Desire with attraction. Whenever we desire something... I want some young girl, I desire. Desire means I have got attraction. But desire without attraction, how it is possible? Can you explain? Yes. Desire without attraction means Krsna consciousness. I desire for Krsna's benefit, not for my benefit. That is desire without attraction. So kama-raga-vivarjitam.Kama-raga-vivarjitam, dharmaviruddho bhutesu kamo 'smi bharatarsabha. "And lust, lust which is not against religious principles, that is also I am." What is that lust? Lust means, generally means, sex, sex life. Sex life which is not against religious principles, that is Krsna. How it is religious principle, sex life? Yes. Sex life is religious principle in this way, that when you want a good child, in that sense, if you undertake sex life, that is sanctioned. That is religion. And without that, everything sex life is nonreligion. If you can produce a good child, you can have thousand times sexual intercourse, but if you produce cats and dogs, don't take. That is irreligious. So here it is stated that dharmaviruddho bhutesu. Therefore, for sex life, dharma is marriage. In the human society there is marriage. In the animal society there is no marriage. They indulge in sex life any way, because they are animals. But in human society, either Hindu society or Muslim society or Christian society or any society, any civilized society, there is the marriage. So the marriage, sex life by marriage, is religious, and sex life without marriage, that is irreligious. So here Krsna says that "Sex life," dharmaviruddhah, "which is not against religious principle, that is I am."So there is no harm to become a householder. It is not that... I am a sannyasi; I have given up household life. And one person who is a householder... There is no difference, provided it is on the principle of religion. I am a sannyasi. I am forbidden to make any association with women. I cannot talk even with woman in a lonely place. That is forbidden. I cannot talk with a woman. I give you one practical example. When my Guru Maharaja, my spiritual master, was living... I am speaking about fifty years before. We were all young men at that time, and one of my Godbrothers, he was also young man, Dr. O. B. Kapoor, and his wife was also young. So his wife wanted to speak with my Guru Maharaja. My Guru Maharaja was at that time not less than sixty or more than that, and the girl, my friend's wife, she was not more than twenty-two years. But actually, she was just like his granddaughter. But she proposed, "Sir, I wanted to speak with you something confidentially." My Guru Maharaja said, "Oh, no, no. I cannot speak with you confidentially. You can speak whatever you like here." Just see. "I cannot speak." Now the so much age difference, so much, I mean to say, affection, still, he refused: "No, no. I cannot talk with you confidentially because you are woman."So a sannyasi is forbidden not to talk even in private place with woman. But a householder,

he, if he associates woman under marriage tie, then it is religious. And without this, this is irreligious. And that religious sex life is God. Religious sex life is God. This should be followed. If we, every one of us reading Bhagavad-gita, every one of us, at least... So far India is concerned, that is a different thing. In America also, I find so many American gentlemen, they read Bhagavad-gita. But I am afraid if they are reading Bhagavad-gita so scrutinizingly, as it is stated here, dharmaviruddho bhutesu kamo 'smi bharatarsabha: "Sex life which is not against religious principle, that is I am." So in, I mean to say, regulated sex life, married life, that is Krsna. So that is not without Krsna. That is Krsna.Then He says,ye caiva sattvika bhavarajasas tamasas ca yematta eveti tan viddhina tv aham tesu te mayiNow, one may question, "Then if You are particularly -- You are Personality of Godhead, Supreme God -- You are speaking that You are sound, You are this light, You are this pranava, You are bija, You are also kama, so many things. So do You mean to say that You are simply in goodness? And what about the other things?" Because there are three qualities of the material world: the modes of goodness and the modes of passion and the modes of darkness. Now, so far Krsna has described Himself, that any good thing... Just like sex life in marriage is a good. "That's all right. You are. What about other things?" Then Krsna replies. He automatically says that ye caiva sattvika bhava rajasas tamasas ca ye.Whatever there are in this material world, we find interaction of three qualities only: goodness, passion, and ignorance. All manifestations that you are observing, they are different combination of these three qualities. Now that can be made into nine. Three into three equal to nine; nine into nine equal to eighty-one; and so on -- go on diluting. But the main background is that three qualities. So Krsna says that "Whatever qualities are there," ye caiva sattvika bhava rajasas tamasas ca ye, "either goodness or passion or ignorance," matta eveti tan viddhi, "they are all produced from Me. They are all produced from Me." How is that? Na tv aham tesu te mayi, that "Because they are produced from Me, therefore they are standing, their position is in Me, but I am not there. I am transcendental." So in another sense, even the bad things, evil things, which is produced out of ignorance, that is also Krsna. But when? When it is applied by Krsna.How it is that? Practical example: Now, an electrical engineer, he is producing electricity, energy. Now, you are feeling at your home in the refrigerator it is cold, and in the heater it is hot. But in the original generating station, it is electricity. It is neither cold, neither hot. So these qualitative manifestation of the world, they are different for me. For Krsna, there is no difference. Therefore sometimes, if Krsna acts on the principle of this ignorance, for Krsna it is Krsna. Just like for the electric engineer -- the whole energy is electricity. Nothing. He has no distinction, "This is cold and this is hot." This is the philosophy. Matta eveti tan viddhi na tu, na tv aham tesu te mayi. Everything is being generated. And the Vedanta-sutra confirms it: janmady asya yatah [sB 1.1.1], everything. "That is the Supreme Truth from where everything is emanating." That is Supreme Truth. So what we are thinking bad, good, that is bad and good for me, because I am conditioned, but because He is not conditioned, therefore for Him, there is no bad and good. He is not conditioned. I am conditioned; therefore I am feeling heat and cold. But because He is not conditioned, everything is all right for Him. So such is Krsna.So how Krsna has described Himself as He is. But why we are not attracted to Krsna? That is explained in the next.tribhir gunamayair bhavairebhih sarvam idam jagat

mohitam nabhijanatimam ebhyah param avyayam"Because they are illusioned by the intermixture of these three qualities..." Mohita: "They are illusioned." Tribhir gunamayair bhavair ebhih sarvam idam jagat. Idam jagat. This material world is spread all over with these three gunas, or three qualities of material nature.Now, from here you can understand that the division of social orders, as it is confirmed in the Bhagavad-gita, catur-varnyam maya srstam guna-karma-vibhagasah [bg. 4.13], that "The four division of human society is made by Me." How it is that? That guna-karma-vibhagasah: "According to the material qualities and world." So in the Vedic literature in India you find there are four division of human society: the brahmana, the ksatriya, the vaisya and the sudra. So that is natural. That is not artificial. People misunderstand that Indians have created a caste system. No. That caste system is everywhere -- sarvam idam jagat. Not only India, all universe is being conducted by that process. Even here also, you have got that caste system. Some of you are in the modes of goodness, some of you are in the modes of passion, some of you are in the modes of ignorance, and some of you are in the mixed quality. So that is prevailing all over the world. And those who are in the modes of goodness, they are brahmana. Name may be another thing. You may say, "Oh, this person, this man is very intelligent, very moralist." That means he is a brahmana. Or "This man is very good administrator." That means he is ksatriya. "Oh, this man is very good industrialist, merchant." That means he is vaisya. "This man cannot do anything." He is sudra.So Lord Krsna says that tribhir gunamayair bhavaih: "By these three qualities, everywhere, all over the universe..." You must know whenever Krsna says something, it is nothing limited. Universally true, He says. When He says sarva-yonisu kaunteya [bg. 14.4], He claims to be father of all living entities. Even the animals, even the aquatics, even the trees, plants, worms, birds, beasts, this human being, that human being -- all He claims. He's the father of everyone. So similarly, tribhir gunamayair bhavaih, mohitam sarva-jagat: "The whole world is," I mean to say, "illusioned or covered by these reactions of these three qualities." And we are under the spell of that illusion; therefore we cannot understand what is God, what is God. Tribhir gunamayair bhavair ebhih sarvam idam jagat, mohitam nabhijanati: "Because they are now illusioned, under the spell of the intermixture of these three qualities, they cannot understand Me, Krsna." Mam ebhyah param avyayam: "I am the supreme eternal being. Oh, they cannot understand."So this illusion... What is the nature of this illusion? How it can be overcome? That is also explained here.daivi hy esa gunamayimama maya duratyayamam eva ye prapadyantemayam etam taranti te[bg. 7.14]Oh, you cannot do it by mental speculation. You cannot get rid of this entanglement of three qualities. It is not possible. It is very strong. Don't you think how we are in the grip of the material nature? It is not possible. Daivi hy esa gunamayi mama maya. Guna. Guna means this quality, and another meaning of guna is rope. Just like we have seen rope, one rope, two rope, three ropes. When three ropes are, I mean to say, bound up, twisted in one, oh, that becomes very strong. Guna means rope also. So we are tied up hands and feet with that rope of these qualities, three. You see? It is very difficult to get out of it. Then? Hopelessness? No. No hopelessness. How can I get rid out of it? Mam eva ye prapadyante mayam etam taranti te: [bg. 7.14] "Anyone who surrenders unto Me, he is at once free." Anyone who becomes Krsna conscious by this way or that way, he becomes free.

Thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...

The Nectar of the Holy Name

In the Vedic literature of India there are many references indicating that in this particular age the most effective religious practice is the chanting of the holy name of Lord.

Others verses in this category include Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.5.32 and 36:

krishna-varnam tvisakrishnam

sangopangastra-parsadam

yajnaih sankirtana-prayair

yajanti hi su-medhasah

"In the age of Kali, intelligent persons perform congregational chanting to worship the incarnation of Godhead who constantly sings the names of Krishna. Although His complexion is not blackish, He is Krishna Himself. He is accompanied by His associates, servants, weapons and confidential companions."

kalim sabhajayanty arya

guna jnah sara-bhaginah

yatra sankirtanenaiva

sarva-svartho 'bhilabhyate

"Those who are actually advanced in knowledge are able to appreciate the essential value of this age of Kali. Such enlightened persons worship Kali-yuga because in this fallen age all perfection of life can easily be achieved by the performance of sankirtana [the congregational chanting of the holy name of the Lord]."

Some general verses describing the glories of the chanting of the names of the Lord include one from the Padma Purana:

nama cintamanih krishnas

caitanya-rasa-vigrahah

purnah suddho nitya-mukto

'bhinnatvan nama-naminoh

"The holy name of Krishna is transcendentally blissful. It bestows all spiritual benedictions, for it is Krishna Himself, the reservoir of all pleasure. Krishna's name is complete, and it is the form of all transcendental mellows. It is not a material name under any condition, and it is no less powerful than Krishna Himself. Since Krishna's name is not contaminated by the material qualities, there is no question of its being involved with maya [illusion]. Krishna's name is always liberated and spiritual; it is never conditioned by the laws of material nature. This is because the name of Krishna and Krishna Himself are identical."

And then there is a nice verse by Srila Rupa Gosvami quoted in Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Antya-lila 1.99:

tunde tandavini ratim vitanute tundavali-labdhaye

karna-kroda-kadambini ghatayate karnarbudebhyah sprham

cetah-prangana-sangini vijayate sarvendriyanam krtim

no jane janita kiyadbhir amrtaih krishneti varna-dvayi

"I do not know how much nectar the two syllables 'Krish-na' have produced. When the holy name of Krishna is chanted, it appears to dance within the mouth. We then desire many, many mouths. When that name enters the holes of the ears, we desire many millions of ears. And when the holy name dances in the courtyard of the heart, it conquers the activities of the mind, and therefore all the senses become inert."

And from Srimad Bhagavatam 1.1.14:

apannah samsrtim ghoram

yan-nama vivasho grnan

tatah sadyo vimucyeta

yad bibheti svayam bhayam

"Living beings who are entangled in the complicated meshes of birth and death can be freed immediately by even unconsciously chanting the holy name of Krishna, which is feared by fear personified."

In the following verse, translation, and purport from Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Antya-lila 4.71, the glories of the holy name are elaborately described. The verse was spoken by Caitanya Mahaprabhu to Sanatana Gosvami:

tara madhye sarva-srestha nama-sankirtana

niraparadhe nama laile paya prema-dhana

"Of the nine processes of devotional service, the most important is to always chant the holy name of the Lord. If one does so, avoiding the ten kinds of offenses, one very easily obtains the most valuable love of Godhead."

PURPORT

Srila Jiva Gosvami Prabhu gives the following directions in his Bhakti-sandarbha (270):

iyam ca kirtanakhya bhaktir bhagavato dravya-jati-guna-kriyabhir

dina-janaika-visayapara-karuna-mayiti sruti-puranadi-visrutih. ataeva kalau

svabhavata evatidinesu lokesu avirbhuya tan anayasenaiva tat tad

yuga-gata-maha-sadhananam sarvam eva phalam dadana sa kritarthayati. yata

eva tayaiva kalau bhagavato visesatas ca santosho bhavati.

"Chanting the holy name is the chief means of attaining love of Godhead. This chanting or devotional service does not depend on any paraphernalia, nor on one's having taken birth in a good family. By humility and meekness one attracts the attention of Krishna. That is the verdict of all the Vedas. Therefore if one becomes very humble and meek, he can easily attain the lotus feet of Krishna in this age of Kali. That is the fulfillment of all great sacrifices, penances and austerities because when one achieves ecstatic love of Godhead, he attains the complete perfection of life. Therefore whatever one does in executing devotional service must be accompanied with the chanting of the holy name of the Lord."

The chanting of the holy name of Krishna "Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare" has been praised by Srila Rupa Gosvami in his Namastaka (verse 1):

nikhila-sruti-mauli-ratna-mala-

dyuti-nirajita-pada-pankajanta

ayi mukta-kulair upasyamanam

paritas tvam hari-nama samsrayami

"O Hari-nama! The tips of the toes of Your lotus feet are constantly being worshiped by the glowing radiance emanating from the string of gems known as the Upanisads, the crown jewels of all the Vedas. You are eternally adored by liberated souls such as Narada and Sukadeva. O Hari-nama! I take complete shelter of You."

Similarly, Srila Sanatana Gosvami has praised the chanting of the holy name as follows in his Brhad-bhagavatamrta (Chapter One, verse 9):

jayati jayati namananda-rupam murarer

viramita-nija-dharma-dhyana-pujadi-yatnam

kathamapi sakrd-attam muktidam praninam yat

paramam amrtam ekam jivanam bhusanam me

"All glories, all glories to the all-blissful holy name of Sri Krishna, which causes the devotee to give up all conventional religious duties, meditation and worship. When somehow or other uttered even once by a living entity, the holy name awards him liberation. The holy name of Krishna is the highest nectar. It is my very life and my only treasure."

In Srimad-Bhagavatam (2.1.11) Sukadeva Gosvami says:

etan nirvidyamananam

icchatam akuto-bhayam

yoginam nrpa nirnitam

harer namanukirtanam

"O King, constant chanting of the holy name of the Lord after the ways of the great authorities is the doubtless and fearless way of success for all, including those who are free from all material desires, those who are desirous of all material enjoyment, and those who are self-satisfied by dint of transcendental knowledge."

Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya wrote one hundred beautiful verses glorifying Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu entitled Susloka-satakam. Text 23 glorifies His gift of the holy name.

hare-krishna-rama-nama-gana-dana-karinim

soka-moha-lobha-tapa-sarva-vighna-nacinim

pada-padma-lubdha-bhakta-vrinda-bhakti-dayinim

gaura-murtim acu naumi nama-sutra-dharinim

"I enthusiastically praise the Lord with a golden form, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who is holding a knotted string in His hand for counting his japa recitation of the Hare Krishna mantra. He has made a gift of the song of that mantra, thereby destroying all obstacles such as sorrow, delusion, greed, and all kinds of suffering. He bestows bhakti on the many devotees who are greedy for the service of His lotus feet."

Selections from the Brhad-bhagavatamrta of Sanatana Goswami

Part 2, Chapter 3, Texts 158-68

krishnasya nana-vidha-kirtanesu

tan-nama-sankirtanam eva mukhyam

tat-prema-sampaj-janane svayam drak

saktum tatah sresthatamam matam tat

Of the many ways to glorify Lord Krishna, chanting His holy name is the first. Because it has the power to give the great wealth of pure love for Him, it is considered the best.

sri-krishna-namamrtam atma-hrdyam

premna samasvadana-bhangi-purvam

yat sevyate jihvikayaviramam

tasyatulam jalpatu ko mahattvam

Who can describe the peerless glory of Lord Krishna's holy name, which delights the heart and is waves of nectar always lovingly tasted by the tongue?

sarvesam bhagavan-namnam

samano mahimapi cet

tathapi sva-priyenasu

svartha-siddhih sukham bhavet

Although all the Lord's names are equally glorious, by chanting the names that are dear to the devotees one quickly and easily attains his desire.

vicitra-ruci-lokanam

kramat sarvesu namasu

priyata-sambhavat tani

sarvani syuh priyani hi

The devotees attracted to various names of the Lord gradually become attracted to all His names. They all become dear to him.

ekasminn indriye pradur

bhutam namamrtam rasaih

aplavayati sarvanin

driyani madhurair nijaih

Appearing in one sense, the nectar of the holy name floods all the senses with sweetness.

mukhyo vag-indriye tasyo-

dayah sva-para-harsadah

tat pradhor dhyanato 'pi syan

nama-sankirtanam varam

The holy name's appearance on the voice-sense delights both oneself and others. For this reason glorifying the Lord's holy name is better than meditating on Him.

nama-sankirtanam proktam

krishnasya prema sampadi

balistham sadhanam srestham

paramakrasa-mantra-vat

It is said that chanting the holy name is a great treasure of love for Lord Krishna. It is the best and most powerful spiritual practice. It is like the best mantra.

tad eva manyate bhakteh

phalam tad rasikair janaih

bhagavata-prema-sampattau

sadaivavyabhicaratah

They who know how to taste spiritual nectar know that spiritual love is the fruit of devotional service. In spiritual love one chants the holy name without stop.

sal-laksanam prema-bharasya krishne

kaiscid rasajnair uta kathyate tat

premno bharenaiva ni jesta-nama-

sankirtanam hi sphurati sphutartya

They who know how to taste nectar describe the spiritual qualities of intense love for Lord Krishna. When the chanter is in distress, the Lord's holy name is chanted with great love.

namnam tu sankirtanam arti-bharan

megham vina pravrsi catakanm

ratrau viyogat sva-pate rathangi-

vargasya cakrosana-vat pratihi

Know that, as the cataka birds lament when there is no raincloud, and as the cakravaki birds lament when separated from their husbands, so the devotees, distressed by separation from the Lord, make a lament of chanting the holy names.

vicitra-lila-rasa-sagarasya

prabhor vicitrat sphuritat prasadat

vicitra-sankirtana-madhuri sa

ma tu sva-yatnad iti sadhu sidhyet

Only by the wonderful mercy of the Lord, who is a nectar ocean of wonderful pastimes, is the wonderful sweetness of chanting the holy name manifest. It is not manifest by one's own efforts.

Sri Namastaka of Rupa Goswami

Eight Prayers Glorfying the Holy Name

TEXT 1

nikhila-sruti-mauli-ratna-mala-

dyuti-nirajita-pada-pankajanta

ayi mukta-kulair upasyamanam

paritas tvam hari-nama samsrayami

O Hari-nama! The tips of the toes of Your lotus feet are constantly being worshiped by the glowing radiance emanating from the string of gems known as the Upanisads, the crown jewels of all the Vedas. You are eternally adored by liberated souls, such as Narada and Sukadeva. O Hari-nama! I take complete shelter of You.

TEXT 2

jaya namadheya muni-vrnda-geya he

jana-ranjanaya param aksarakrte

tvam anadarad api manag udiritam

nikhilogra-tapa-patalim vilumpasi

O Hari-nama, O name sung by the sages, O transcendental syllables that bring bliss to the people, even if You are spoken only once, and even if You are spoken disrespectfully, You at once remove the many harsh sufferings of everyone.

TEXT 3

yad-abhaso 'py udyan kavalita-bhava-dhvanta-vibhavo

drsam tattvandhanam api disati bhakti-pranayinim

janas tasyodattam jagati bhagavan-nama-tarane

krti te nirvaktum ka iha mahimanam prabhavati

O sun of the Holy Name, even the dim light of Your early dawn 'namabhasa' devours the power of the darkness of the material world and gives those who are blind to the truth the insight to follow the path of pure devotion to Krishna. What learned person in this world can possibly fully describe Your transcendental glories?

TEXT 4

yad-brahma-saksat-krti-nisthayapi

vinasam ayati vina na bhogaih

apaiti nama sphuranena tat te

prarabdha-karmeti virauti vedah

O Holy Name, the Vedas declare that although meditation on impersonal Brahman cannot bring freedom from past karma, Your appearance [on the tongue of your chanter] at once makes all karma disappear.

TEXT 5

aghadamana-yasodanandanau nandasuno

kamalanayana-gopicandra-vrndavanendrah

pranatakaruna-krishnav ity aneka-svarupe

tvayi mama ratir uccair vardhatam namadheya

O Holy Name, I pray that my love for You in Your many forms—such as Aghadamana (Crusher of Aghasura), Yasodanandana (Son of Yasoda), Nandasunu (Son of Nanda), Kamalanayana (Lotus-eyed), Gopicandra (Moon of the gopis), Vrndavanendra (King of Vrndavana), Pranatakaruna (Merciful to the surrendered souls), and Krishna—may greatly increase.

TEXT 6

vacyam vacakam ity udeti bhavato nama svarupa-dvayam

purvasmat param eva hanta karunam tatrapi janimahe

yas tasmin vihitaparadha-nivahau prani samantad bhaved

asyenedam upasya so 'pi hi sadanandambudhau majjati

O Holy Name, You are manifested in two forms: 1. the Supreme Person described by the Holy Name, and 2. the sound vibration of the Holy Name. We know that the second form is even more merciful than the first, because although a person may commit many offenses to Your first form, he will still plunge into an ocean of bliss by serving Your second with His voice.

TEXT 7

suditasrita-janarti-rasaye

ramya-cid-ghana-sukha-svarupine

nama gokula-mahotsavaya te

krishna purna-vapuse namo namah

O perfect and complete Holy Name of Lord Krishna, You are the embodiment of delightful and intense spiritual bliss, You destroy the many sufferings of those who take shelter of You, and You are a festival of happiness for Gokula. I bow before You again and again.

TEXT 8

narada-vinojjivana

sudhormi-niryasa-madhuri-pura

tvam krishna-nama kamam

sphura me rasane rasena sada

O Krishna-nama! O inspiration of Narada's vina! You are full of sweetness, which is like an ocean full of waves of nectar. If You wish, please appear constantly on my tongue, along with transcendental affection for the Lord.

© 1996 BBT Int'l, [srimad Bhagavatam, Sri Caitanya-caritamrta]

© 1990 Peter Viggiani, [sri Brhad-Bhagavatamrta]

• 1 month later...