IndiaDivine.org

The Aluna Project : A Tidal Powered Moon Clock

Rate this topic

krsna

Posted Image

Aluna: A Tidal Powered Moon Clock

An unique proposal for a huge tidal-powered Moon Clock is being hailed by scientists and anthropologists who believe this monumental timepiece could become an internationally recognised landmark.

The Aluna Project, designed by artist, Laura Williams, will be a magnificent glass and steel structure illuminated by tidal energy. Three massive concentric rings, five storeys high and 40 metres across, will make a breathtaking, waterside landmark which will light up to show the movements of the moon and the sea. Light will flow slowly around the rings, each representing the Lunar Phase, the wax and wane of the moon: the Lunar Day, the rise and set of the moon, and the ebb and flow of the tide. The team behind the not-for-profit project hope the design’s cutting-edge technology will remind people that the Earth is governed by ancient natural rhythms. "I would like Aluna to be a beacon of hope for a sustainable future, visible from land, sky and sea." said Laura Williams.

The Aluna team is currently looking for a suitable waterside site in the UK for the structure. All it needs is some free land, an open sky and tidal waters. And, with growing interest in Australia, Aluna could also be turned into a dual hemisphere project. In Britain, the Northern hemisphere, Aluna would be aligned with the polar co-ordinates and move clockwise facing due South. The counterpart structure in the Southern hemisphere, Australia, would move anti-clockwise and face due North.

The moon has played a significant role in our religions, cultures and customs for centuries and is universal. It connects all faiths, all ages and all cultures. Wherever you are watching the moon, half the planet is watching it with you.

Gita

Chapter10

TEXT 21

adityanam aham vishnur

jyotisam ravir amsuman

maricir marutam asmi

nakshatranam aham sasi

TRANSLATION

Of the Adityas I am Vishnu, of lights I am the radiant sun, of the Maruts I am Marici, and among the stars I am the moon.

PURPORT

Among the stars, the moon is the most prominent at night, and thus the moon represents Krishna.