IndiaDivine.org

Socrates: The Greek Yogi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Excerpt from Plato's Phaedo:

Socrates said, "Other people may well be unaware that all who actually engage in philosophy aright are practising nothing other than dying and beind dead. Now if this is true, it would be odd indeed for them to be eager in their whole life for nothing but that, and yet to be resentful when it comes, the very thing they'd long been eager for and practised".

Simmias Laughed at thisand said: "Goodness, Socrates, you've made me laugh, even though I wasn't much inclined to laugh just now(that you are dying). I imagine that most people, on hearing that , would think it very well said of philosophers- and our own countryment would quite agree- that they are indeed, longing for death, and that they , at any rate , are well aware that is what philosophers deserve to undergo."

"Yes, and what they say would be true , Simmias, except for their claim to be aware of it themselves; because they aren't aware in what sense genuine philosophers are longing for death and deserving of it, and what kind of death they deserve. Anyway, let's discuss it among ourselves, disregarding them: do we suppose that death is a reality?"

"Certainly", rejoined Simmias.

"And that it is nothing but the seperation of the soul from the body? And that being dead is this: The body's having come to be apart, separated from the soul, alone by itself, and the soul's being apart, alone by itself, seperated from the body? Death can't be anything else but that, can it?"

"No, its just that."

"Now look, my friend, and see if maybe you agree with me on these points; because through them I think we'll improve our knowledge of what we're examining. Do you think it befits a philosophical man to be keen about the so called pleasures of, for example, food and drink?"

"Not in the least, Socrates," Said Simmias.

"And what about those of sex?"

"Not at all"

"And what about the other services to the body? Do you think such a person regards them as of any value? For instance, the possession of smart clothes and shoes, and the other bodily adornments- do you think he values them highly, or does he disdain them, except in so far as he's absolutely compelled to share in them?"

"I think the genuine philosopher disdains them"

"Do you think in general , then, that such a person's concern is not for the body, but so far as he can stand aside from it, is directed towards the soul?"

"I do."

"Then it is clear that, first in such matters as those the philosopher differs from other people in realising his soul, as far as possible, from its communion with the body?"

"It appears so"

"And presumably, Simmias, it does seem to most people that someone who finds nothing of that sort pleasant, and takes no part in those things, doesn't deserve to live; rather one who cares nothing for the pleasures that come by way of the body runs pretty close to being dead."

"Yes, what you say is quire true"

• 4 weeks later...