IndiaDivine.org

Good Purnima on Gaura Friday ? ? ?

Rate this topic

krsna

I have thought the same thing. Most followers of Sri Caitanya won't notice but for those that do it could present some conflict. Prayerfull solemn remeberance for Lord Jesus Christ may arise but so should the joyous Krishna kirtana. Afterall Lord Jesus is pleased also by the roaring of the holy name.

I question the name of the day Lord Jesus was crucified as "Good" anything myself. The only goodness I saw was on the part of Christ.

Does anyone remember the telling of when Srila Prabhupada had the crucifix removed from his hotel room as told by his servant then. I will try hoping someone will correct any errors.

Srila Prabhupada and his servant checked in and entered his room. The servant came out and waited outside by the door in case Srila Prabhupada had a request. He heard Srila Prabhupada start weeping and crying. He went inside and Srila Prabhupada, sitting on the bed, pointed to the crucifix on the wall with Jesus hanging on the cross and said something about how they want to perpetually kill their spiritual master so they can go on sinning with no reaction. I won't try to quote him as I can't remember exactly. They took it out of the room.

If you know this incident better please take the time and post it.

You know it just occured to me that some of these Christians who have a murti of Lord Jesus nailed to a cross on their walls are the same characters that mocked the Deity of Syamasundar holding s flute with taunts of "no graven idols" etc. We should put this one back in their face. Politely of course. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guest guest

The disappearance of any Vaisnava is simultaneously a deeply sad event because we are loosing their company and a very joyous moment as they are being united with their lord that they have worked their whole life towards.

In a sense it is a release from the body that shackles them to this suffering world. Of coarse they are never suffering because their consciouness is beyond bodily identification.

Especially at such a time as this the Lord is fully present, blazing in their consciousness. They don't feel their own pain, rather the pain of others immersed in ignorance, but we will also empathize with their pain if we have their kind of consciousness.

Srila Sridhar Maharaj requested his disciples arrange a grand feast on his departure from this world.

If we are to believe Srila Hari Das Thakur was the self same Jesus of Nazareth, which does maka lot of sense. I think God balanced out Jesus humiliating departure with the glorious exit of Hari Das.

We can't perceive with these eyes the joyous festival surrounding the great vaisnavas when they are reunited with their Lord, but I've no doubt all are overjoyed on that side to receive one of their own back home after a long stint on the battle field.

Happy Gaura paurnima to one and all, may He visit your kirtan where ever you are.

EVERYWHERE THE DEVOTEES JOYOUSLY PERFORMED SANKIRTANA IN CELEBRATION OF THE BIRTH OF LORD CAITANYA

Thus in the year 1407 of the Shaka Era (A.D. 1486), in the month of Phalguna [March-April], on the evening of the full moon, the desired auspicious moment appeared. According to the Jyotir-veda, or Vedic astronomy, when the figure of the lion appears both in the zodiac and the time of birth [lagna], this indicates a very high conjunction of planets, an area under the influence of sad-varga and asta-varga, which are all-auspicious moments.

When the spotless moon of Caitanya Mahaprabhu became visible, what would be the need for a moon full of black marks on its body? Considering this, Rahu, the black planet, covered the full moon, and immediately vibrations of "Krsna! Krsna! Hari!" inundated the three worlds. All people thus chanted the Hare Krsna maha-mantra during the lunar eclipse, and their minds were struck with wonder. When the whole world was thus chanting the holy name of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna in the form of Gaurahari advented Himself on the earth. The whole world was pleased. While the Hindus chanted the holy name of the Lord, the non-Hindus, especially the Muslims, jokingly imitated the words. While all the ladies vibrated the holy name of Hari on earth, in the heavenly planets dancing and music were going on, for the demigods were very curious.

In this atmosphere, all the ten directions became jubilant, as did the waves of the rivers. Moreover, all beings, moving and nonmoving, were overwhelmed with transcendental bliss. Thus by His causeless mercy the full moon, Gaurahari, rose in the district of Nadia, which is compared to Udayagiri, where the sun first becomes visible. His rising in the sky dissipated the darkness of sinful life, and thus the three worlds became joyful and chanted the holy name of the Lord.

At that time Sri Advaita Acharya Prabhu, in His own house at Shantipura, was dancing in a pleasing mood. Taking Haridasa Thakura with Him, He danced and loudly chanted Hare Krsna. But why they were dancing, no one could understand. Seeing the lunar eclipse and laughing, both Advaita Acharya and Haridasa Thakura immediately went to the bank of the Ganges and bathed in the Ganges in great jubilation. Taking advantage of the occasion of the lunar eclipse, Advaita Acharya, by His own mental strength, distributed various types of charity to the brahmanas. When he saw that the whole world was jubilant, Haridasa Thakura, his mind astonished, directly and indirectly expressed himself to Advaita Acharya, "Your dancing and distributing charity are very pleasing to me. I can understand that there is some special purpose in these actions."

Acharyaratna [Chandrashekhar] and Srivasa Thakura were overwhelmed with joy, and immediately they went to the bank of the Ganges to take bath in the water of the Ganges. Their minds full of happiness, they chanted the Hare Krsna mantra and gave charity by mental strength. In this way all the devotees, wherever they were situated, in every city and every country, danced, performed sankirtana and gave charity by mental strength on the plea of the lunar eclipse, their minds overwhelmed with joy. ( Sri Caitanya caritamrta, Adi-lila 13:89-103)

I offer my respectful obeisances unto the full-moon evening in the month of Phalguna, an auspicious time full of auspicious symptoms, when Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu advented Himself with the chanting of the holy name, Hare Krsna. (Srila Krsnadasa Goswami- C.C. Adi-lila 13:19)

"Lord Caitanya's movement of Krsna consciousness is full of dancing and singing about the pastimes of Lord Krsna. It is compared herein to the pure waters of the Ganges, which are full of lotus flowers. The enjoyers of these lotus flowers are the pure devotees, who are like bees and swans. They chant like the flowing of the Ganges, the river of the celestial kingdom. The author desires such sweet flowing waves to cover his tongue. He humbly compares himself to materialistic persons who always engage in dry talk from which they derive no satisfaction. If they were to use their dry tongues to chant the holy name of the Lord -- Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare / Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare -- as exemplified by Lord Caitanya, they would taste sweet nectar and enjoy life."

(Caitanya-caritamrta, Adi-lila 2.2, Purport)