IndiaDivine.org

How can we have unalloyed devotion to our guru...???

Rate this topic

krsna

Questions and Answers with Sri Srimad Gour Govinda Swami Maharaja

QUESTION: How can we have unalloyed devotion to our guru and also see the godbrother of our spiritual master as our spiritual master?

GOUR GOVINDA SWAMI: We will offer the same respect to him as we pay to our spiritual master. But as Hanuman says, Rama has occupied my heart:

sri-nathe janaki-nathe cabhedah paramatmanih

tathapi mama sarvasvam ramah kamala-locanah

There is no difference between Sri-nath (Vishnu, the Lord of the goddess of fortune) and Janaki-nath (Rama, the Lord of Sita), since They are both the Supersoul. Still, lotus-eyed Rama is everything to me.

(Prema-bhakti-candrika, text 29)

We should not deviate from our guru. That is unalloyedness. Don't be affected by any differences between our guru and his godbrother. We should overlook them. Still, our attitude should be, "I am following the instruction of my guru. I am not following the instruction of the godbrother of my guru."

QUESTION: What should we do when we see that some superior vaisnava needs correction?

GOUR GOVINDA SWAMI: Keshava Bharati was the godbrother of Iswara Puri, who was the guru of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Mahaprabhu corrected Keshava Bharati. But we should not imitate Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. He is the Supreme Personality of Godhead and we are not. We should not try to correct anyone who is superior to us. We must act in such a way that Chaitanya Mahaprabhu will give us the intelligence what to do:

tesam satata-yuktanam bhajatam priti-purvakam dadami buddhi-yogam tam yena mam upayanti te

To those who are constantly devoted to serving Me with love, I give the understanding by which they can come to Me. (Bg 10.10)

Krishna says, "I'll give you the intelligence." So, if you are a true follower of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, He will give you intelligence. You will be able to act in such a way that the vaisnava becomes automatically corrected.

You won't need to correct him directly. You should not have this thought in your mind, "Let me correct him." No, no, no, no, no, no! We are not qualified to correct them. Our attitude should be, "trnad api su-nicena taror iva sahisnuna - I am the lowest of the low (Siksastaka 3).

QUESTION: How do you correct a godbrother?

GOUR GOVINDA SWAMI: With a godbrother we have a friendly relationship. So we may talk to him in a friendly way. Sometimes we may even cut jokes with him.

To correct him we may say something at some opportune moment when we know it will not hurt him. An intelligent man will do like this. You must speak in such a way that it will not hurt his feelings. Mahaprabhu said:

prani-matre mano-vakye udvega na diba

Neither by mind nor words should a devotee cause anxiety to any living entity, regardless how insignificant they may be. - CC Madhya 22.120

Don't speak or act in such a way that will hurt their feelings. Don't agitate them. This is the devotee's behavior.

yasman nodvijate loko lokan nodvijate ca yah

harsamarsa-bhayodvegair mukto yah sa ca me priyah

He for whom no one is put into difficulty and who is not disturbed by anyone, who is equipoised in happiness and distress, fear and anxiety, is very dear to Me. - BG 12.15

Krishna says, "He who is not agitated in any circumstances is very dear to Me. If someone tries to agitate him he never agitates back or disturbs anyone. He is equal in both harsa and amarsa, favorable and unfavorable conditions. In all conditions he is equal, sama. Bhayodvegair, he has no fear, no anxiety. He is very dear to Me."

As Mahaprabhu has instructed, one should speak very sweetly so the devotee may be corrected, but in such a way that they will not be disturbed. For one who is intelligent, who is a true devotee, Mahaprabhu will give them intelligence whereby you will know how to act and speak in such a way that you will not hurt the devotee and at the same time you will correct them.

And you should never have this thought in your mind that, "I'll correct him." You should think, "I am not a qualified person to correct him. I'm the lowest of the low. I am an ignorant fool, murkha. I have no qualification." You should not cherish the thought in your mind to correct them. This thought is very bad and offensive. This is a very, very subtle point. It is very difficult for ordinary people to understand. But those who are devotees, who have made some advancement in spirituality, they can understand this point.

QUESTION: We cannot approach Krishna without a spiritual master. What about approaching Chaitanya Maharabhu?

GOUR GOVINDA SWAMI: Unless you approach a spiritual master you cannot approach Mahaprabhu. Mahaprabhu is the Supreme Personality of Godhead. He is Krishna. The spiritual master is the expansion of Nityananda Prabhu. You get the mercy of Nityananda through the spiritual master, not directly. Guru is rupanuga-dhara - a follower of the Goswamis in disciplic succession.

QUESTION: Who will decide who is a spiritual master?

GOUR GOVINDA SWAMI: Are baba! The decision comes from Krishna. Chaitanya Mahaprabhu has ordered:

yare dekha, tare kaha 'krsna'-upadesa

amara ajnaya guru hana tara' ei desa "Whomever you meet, tell them about Krishna: 'O brother, Krishna has said this thing.' Don't concoct. Just present it as it is. I order you to become a spiritual master and deliver the world." If you just do this, if you just present things as they are, following the disciplic succession, you will become guru. Krishna will give you that position. Don't hanker after it.

Just do it. The decision comes from Krishna, from Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.

There is no question that someone will decide (laughs). Apratihata - it will automatically come. If Chaitanya Mahaprabhu wants, if Krishna wants, no one can check it. You should have full faith and patience. Don't be pessimistic.

There is no question of pessimism. We should be full of optimism. We don't need to bother about these things. Those persons who are now blowing their own trumpet, beating their own drums, Krishna will finish them at any time.

Don't be disturbed. You should have patience and full faith in guru-sadhu-sastra. Because it is the material world some disturbances will come up. pade pade vipada - "At every step there is danger." And at the same time it is Kali-yuga, the age of quarrel and hypocrisy. This world is filled with hypocrites. So some hypocrites will come and say, "Oh, I am guru. I am sadhu. I am such a great man." He may come and beat his own drum, blow his own trumpet, and make some politics. It is quite natural. These things should not disturb you. Be dhira, don't be disturbed. Have full faith in guru-sadhu-sastra. Just do your duty as guru has instructed, as it is.

Present Krishna consciousness as it is. Time will change things in the long run. You need not be worried. Have patience. Quote sastra and the acaryas.

Our basis is guru-sadhu-sastra. I never say anything different. I always quote authority.

Although he was a householder, Srila Prabhupada got the full mercy of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati and Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. He never spent any time in the matha, but he became acarya because he was very, very simple, not envious. You cannot put a stamp on someone, "You are acarya." Or else the day may come to prove that he's not an acarya.

I will tell you a nice story. Once a jackal fell into the blue dye-water of a washerman. The jackal became blue. Then he went to the forest and declared to everyone, "I am the king of the animals." All of the animals said, "Oh yes! He is strange looking. He might be king." Thus they made the jackal king and he sat on the throne. Then when evening came, all of the jackals began howling, "Youka hou! Youka hou!" So the jackal king also started howling, and then everyone saw, "Oh! He's a jackal! Beat him! He's not king!" In this way, he was revealed. We know these things, so why we should be disturbed? Don't be disturbed. The time will come. Krishna and Chaitanya Mahaprabhu will reveal everything. Have patience.

QUESTION: We can see that envy may be very subtle. What is our hope?

GOUR GOVINDA SWAMI: We should have full faith in guru-sadhu-sastra and we must do our service. Some disturbance may come - and it will come. It is the nature of this material plane, and at the same time Kali-yuga is here. It is very, very horrible. But one should have firm determination and patience.

You should not deviate in any circumstance. Always pray to guru and Lord Chaitanya. They will help you. We are very weak, but caitya-guru is in our heart. He will give inspiration. For a sincere soul who is very eager to have this, Krishna makes arrangements. He knows, "This soul wants this thing." So He makes arrangements for it to happen. Is there anything impossible for Krishna? It is impossible for us, but nothing is impossible for Krishna. Our business is to always pray to Krishna, Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, and Guru Maharaja, "Just help me!" You'll get help. Have full faith in this. Don't be desperate. We should be very eager to get this mercy and to have association of pure devotees who are more advanced than ourselves. Then you'll benefit. Sadhu-sanga means you will associate with a person who is more advanced than yourself. Then you will benefit. Otherwise, no benefit will come. It may seem impossible to get such association. Still, nothing is impossible for Krishna. Krishna will make arrangement. Vani, instructions, are there. When nothing is available we should associate with instructions and books, and with our sincere prayers we will reach Krishna.

The day will come when you will meet such a person. It's impossible for us, but it's not impossible for Krishna. But we should always be praying, "Krishna, please help me!" Chanting hare krsna means the soul is crying, hare krsna hare krsna krsna krsna hare hare - "O Krishna's sakti Radharani! O Krishna! Please engage me in Your service. I am fallen."

ayi nanda-tanuja kinkaram patitam mam visame bhavambudhau krpaya tava .-pankaja- sthita-dhuli-sadrsam vicintaya

"O Krishna! I am Your kinkara, Your servant! But somehow I've fallen into the depths of this ocean of nescience. Please shower Your mercy on me and accept me as a particle of dust at Your lotus feet."(Siksastaka 5) If the soul is crying and crying by uttering this hari-nama, "hare krsna hare krsna", if you chant in this way, then you'll get the necessary association miraculously and unexpectedly. It is impossible for us, but nothing is impossible for Krishna. Krishna wants that thing. The only lacking is with us. Thank you very much.

- Paris 1987, at the home of Sripad Harivilas Prabhu

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE SHORTCOMING IS NOT WITH GURU

Sri Srimad Gour Govinda Swami Maharaja

Devotee: It occurred to me when you were saying how Srila Prabhupada had many disciples that there was no shortcoming on the part of their bona-fide spiritual master.

Gour Govinda Swami: No. The shortcoming is with you. How will the disciple be benefited if he doesn’t follow the instructions of guru, as it is, without deviation, without adding any deliberation or any twisting?

Those who add some deliberation to the instruction of their spiritual master, Prabhupada, those who have twisted his instructions, they failed.

They cannot get the mercy of the spiritual master. Do you understand me?

The shortcoming is with you. The shortcoming is not with guru. That is the whole trouble. Nothing else.

— Interview with the Prabhupada Benevolent Foundation, 17 August 1991.

"How will the disciple be benefited if he doesn’t follow the instructions of guru, as it is, without deviation, without adding any deliberation or any twisting?"

you have to first UNDERSTAND what the instruction is. How can you execute the instruction if you do not understand it? that requires deliberation.

Lecture given by Srila Gour Govinda Swami on 7 April , l992, at Bhubaneswar, India:

"The Gaudiya sampradaya, the parampara of Caitanya Mahaprabhu, is a bona fide Vaisnava sampradaya. One should accept the instructions which are coming from the acaryas in this parampara as it is and practice them in one's life. Then You will get the mercy of Mahaprabhu. With a simple heart, that is krsna-seva. We are not speaking anything pseudo-sampradayist. We should not hear the words of pseudo-sampradayists.

When Mahaprabhu ordered, "You become guru and deliver this world," that instruction has come unto my guru, Srila Prabhupada, and my guru gave me this same order. So I will never develop any duplicity or crookedness in executing this order.

That means I will never come in murkha--sampradaya or kapatya-sampradaya or phalgu-sampradaya, the school of fools, hypocrites and pretenders. I will never teach duplicity or crookedness to anybody. Those who are visayis, materialistic persons, are duplicitous, crooked, and envious, they come under pseudo-sampradaya. They are selfish persons.

Those who are under the bonafide sampradaya coming from Gauranga Mahaprabhu, they are so powerful that they kick all such sampradayas. They are always twenty-four hours day and night engaged in loving service ot the lotus feet of Radha and Krsna, executing the order of their guru. They never desist from rendering pure service without duplicity, nikapata-seva.

An acarya is natural, not pretending, he is not pretentious. He is not pretending as acarya. He is a natural acarya, not artificial. He is more humble than a blade of grass lying on the street and as tolerant as a tree. He gives respect to one and all, seeing Krsna in everybody and never demands respect for himself.

Our teachings which are coming through our parampara are true, coming form Mahaprabhu. They are our sadacara, our regulative principle. They are law for all humanity. And this law, this sadacara, has come down to us through parampara. If we disrespect it, if we don't execute it in our life, if we add any deliberation, if we twist it, then we will become offenders. We will commit offence by not obeying the orders of guru. Yes, namaparadha. Then we will be far away from the lotus feet of our guru. Guru will never keep us at his lotus feet.

If, in order to execute, to obey the order of my guru, it is needed to become very proud, I will never hesitate to become very proud. If it is needed to become an animal, I will never hesitate to become an animal. If it is needed to go to hell for guru, I will never hesitate to do it. Do you follow me? That is how to execute the order of the guru. That is how to become a true follower of guru.

I will never hesitate to do it. I will never hear from anyone but my guru. Those who are saying something different form this teaching coming through bonafide parampara, coming from Mahaprabhu; we will never listen to them. If somebody says something different, then like Bhimasena, with my fist, I will crush it. I will destroy it. I will defeat it. I am so proud. With just one speck of dust form the lotus feet of my guru, crores and crores of people of this world will be delivered. You should understand how powerful one little speck of dust of my guru's lotus feet is.

There is no such a scholar as my guru. I will never accept anyone else as a scholar. There is no such teachings as those that my guru has imparted, to be found in any human being, or in any demigod. I know it very well. No one else can give such teachings. There is nothing in this world that is as heavy as a tiny speck of dust from the lotus feet of my guru. This is the follower of true parampara, I am following such parampara. This is the teaching, one should understand it very well.

Only Mahaprabhu gives prema. Mirabai got sayujya mukti, but we hate it. Gaudiya Vaisnavas hate it. We won't hear all these things. Get out from here! I am so proud, I will crush it with my fist! Entering into the body of the Lord, that was her desire. Jiva Goswami appreciated that she said that Krsna is the only male, but after that finish, chelo! Get out! Do you follow?

Only Mahaprabhu gives prema, nobody else. It is a simple fact. Why are you making it complicated? It is very simple. Don't twist it, don't add any deliberation to it. As it is. This s most important. It appears contradictory but in tattva there is on contradiction. You should understand in tattva. Apparent considerations are not tattva. Apparent considerations and absolute considerations - apara vicara and tattva vicara. All our Gaudiya Vaisnava philosophy is bassed on tattva vicara, not apara vicara."

"There is no such a scholar as my guru. I will never accept anyone else as a scholar. There is no such teachings as those that my guru has imparted, to be found in any human being, or in any demigod."

can you quote any shastra to back up such talk?

I have seen all kinds of foolish disciples, intoxicated with statements like that, doing all kinds of ugra-karma while thinking they are doing the right thing. for the really nasty examples of such foolish behavior I recommend looking at the New Vrindavan community couple decades ago...

Srila Gour Govinda Swami

"The sad-guru or Sri Guru is an eternal associate of the Lord. When he disappears he enters into the nitya-lila of the Lord and goes to the abode of Krsna. But if he has accepted someone as his disciple, and if he has not rejected that disciple, then he is responsible for

taking that disciple to the lotus feet of Krsna.

As we speak of sad-guru, similarly there is sat-sisya. As it is very difficult to find a sad-guru, it is similarly difficult to find a sat-sisya, a true disciple."

"One who is very, very eager and very, very inquisitive, prays to his spiritual master, "Oh my spiritual master, you have departed. You are not physically present, so I cannot understand. I am such an ignorant fool. I have no qualification. Though your instructions are there, I cannot understand what you have said. Please help me."

In Another Form

So guru will also come, but not in the same form. He may come in the form of a sadhu, a very dear devotee, who is also very dear to your spiritual master. Through him this will be revealed. Doubts will be cleared. Through him you will be able to understand tattva, purport. You should think, "My guru is teaching me, he is speaking to me in this form." Don’t think, "My guru is not here. He has departed. What shall I do?" Pray fervently to your spiritual master. He must help you. We have personal experience. We have been helped in this way. "

- The Worship of Sri Guru, 'Sri Guru My Eternal Master.'

APPROACH A PREMI BHAKTA

Who is a real sadhu? A real sadhu is completely surrendered unto Krishna. He has no other desire than to serve Krishna with pure love, twenty-four hours, day and night, anukalyena krsnanu-silanam.

One who has gotten prema-bhakti, who has gotten Krishna, is a real sadhu. One should accept such a sadhu, then he can approach Krishna. One cannot approach directly.

Caitanya-caritamrta(madhya 19.151) states:

brahmanda bhramite kona bhagyavan jiva guru-krsna-prasade pāya bhakti-latā-bīja

This is Mahaprabhu’s teaching to Sanatan Goswami: After undergoing lakhs and lakhs of species of life, through lakhs and lakhs of universes, if someone is bhagyavan, fortunate, he gets the mercy of Krishna and guru, and the seed of bhakti is sown in his heart.

This word bhāgyavān, fortunate, is significant. What is genuine good fortune? That person who meets guru, the bona-fide representative of Krishna, is fortunate. Only one who has gotten Krishna, who has bound up Krishna in his heart, only he can make Krishna appear in the heart of his devoted disciple. No one else can give you Krishna. If someone has not gotten, how can he give?

If you have one dollar, you can give fifty cents, sixty cents or one dollar. But if you don’t have, then how can you give? Similarly, we should approach someone who has obtained Krishna, who has developed prema-bhakti and has bound up Krishna in his heart.

Srila ThakurBhaktivinode has written

(Śaranāgati,Bhajana-lālasā, song 7):

krsna se tomāra,krsna dite pāra

tomāra śakati āche

āmi to’ kā

gāla, krsna krsna bali’,dhāi tava pāche pāche

O vaisnava Thakura, Krishna belongs to you because you have bound Him up in your heart by the rope of prema. Only you can give me Krishna because you have gotten Him. I am kangala, a pauper. I am bereft of Krishna. So I am running behind you begging your causeless mercy,

“Please give me Krishna! Please give me Krishna.”

Katha Upanisad (1.2.23) says:

nāyam ātmā pravacanena labhyo

na medhayā na bahunā śrutena

yam evai a vaisnute tena labhyas

tasyaisa ātmā vivinute tanūm svām

One may hear pravacanas, lectures, from so many persons, but if they are not realized souls, if they have not gotten Krishna, not developed prema-bhakti, one will not be able to understand this paramartha-tattva, this supreme goal. One cannot understand this tattva by dint of his merit, scholarship, or intelligence.

It can be understood only by one who is always crying in his heart,

“Oh Krishna, how can I know You? How can I approach You?”

Krishna is there in the heart. He understands, “This soul is crying for Me.” So He arranges for that person to meet abona-fide guru who can give him Krishna, who can teach him about krsna-tattva. That dear devotee, who is Krishna’s bona fide representative, is the manifestation of paramatma. That is guru-tattva.

Paramatma only manifests Himself as guru before a person who is crying for Krishna in his heart.

“How can I get Krishna? How can I approach Krishna? How can I serve Krishna? Without Krishna’s dear devotee, His representative the guru, I cannot do so. I don’t know who is guru. I am a conditioned soul having four defects. I cannot recognize such a person with my defective senses.

But Krishna, You know who is Your dear devotee. Unless You help me, how can I come to You?”

This is the prayer to be offered to Krishna. By Krishna’s mercy, one will meet such a guru who is Krishna’s dear devotee and bonafide representative. Take shelter of him and completely surrender — gurupadasraya diksa.

As Gita says, praripatena pariprasnena sevaya — serve him, please him, satisfy him, and then humbly ask questions relating to tattva. By his causeless mercy, he will impart tattva-jñana. This is the process. Take shelter of him and do bhajana under his guidance.

You don’t know how to do bhajana. Krishna is the bhajaniya-vastu, the worshipable object. Guru will teach you how to serve Krishna, how to surrender unto His lotus feet, how to please Him. He will teach you by his own example, not theoretically. Under his guidance, you will do sadhana, bhajana.

Caitanya-caritamrta(madhya 22.25) states:

tāte krsna bhaje

kare gurura sevanamāyā-jāla chu

e, pāya krsnera carana

If the conditioned soul engages in the service of the Lord and simultaneously carries out the orders of his spiritual master and serves him, he can get out of the clutches of maya and become eligible for shelter at Krishna’s lotus feet.

Heavy Responsibility

Such a guru, who is a bona-fide representative of Krishna, has come down from Krishna’s abode. There is a prema-bhakti-sutra. Sastra means “rope” or “thread”. One end of the prema-bhakti-sutra is attached to the lotus feet of Krishna in Goloka Vrindavan. The guru has come with the other end of that rope here.

The conditioned souls, fallen in the deep, dark well of material existence, are suffering. Such a guru is outside the well. He’s not under the grip of maya. He throws his end of the rope to the conditioned souls in the dark well of material existence and says, “Clasp it very tightly.” Then he pulls you up. This is the process.

The guru does this. It is not an easy affair to deliver even one conditioned soul from the fort of maya. The guru has to spend gallons and gallons of spiritual blood to deliver just one soul. It is a heavy responsibility. If even one conditioned soul is delivered, the guru feels so much happiness.

It is a reciprocal affair. It is not one-sided. You should clasp the end of the rope very tightly. That means you should follow the guru’s instruction as it is. Don’t twist it. Don’t add any of your deliberation to it. Whatever he says, just do exactly that. He gives some“do’s” and some “don’ts”. You must strictly follow his instructions. Don’t be lazy. Then the guru will pull you up. Otherwise, if you are not serious, if you are lazy, careless, or superfluous, you will never accept guru’s instruction. Or you half accept it and half reject it. You add your own deliberations and twist it. Then you cannot be helped.

If you are very serious, very strict, then guru will pull you up. That is his duty. Otherwise, guru may lift you up, then you deviate or become lenient and then you again fall down. Seeing this, the guru feels great pain in his heart, “I spent so many gallons of blood to deliver him, but this fellow didn’t follow, so he fell down.”

To deliver just one soul from maya’s fortress is a very difficult task. It is a heavy responsibility. This is guru.

— Excerpted from chapter seven of “The Process of Enquiry"

just because Maharaja says so, does not make it true in absolute, general sense. like I said:

can you (or anybody else) back up the above quote with some shastric evidence?

that is a simple request, isn't it?

that quote may reflect Maharaja's sentiment and his mood of devotion - but not much more than that.

From Bhaktisiddhanta Sarawati Thakura on how to see guru:

One has to be devoted to the spiritual master in the same way one is devoted to Krishna. One should think of the spiritual master in the same way that one thinks of Krishna, for he is in no way less than or inferior to Krishna. It is the duty of a pious person to recognize the spiritual master as equal to Krishna and to worship him and serve him in that way. If one does not do so, then is destituted of his status as a disciple.

Those who see the guru and Krishna as the same will be able to understand the essence of the scriptures. They alone will be able to chant the Holy Names and they alone will be able to speak on Krishna.

Sri Krishna himself has descended in the form of the spiritual master in order to teach service to himself. Those on whom fortune smiles will be able to understand this spotless scriptural truth. If not, their doubting minds will plunge them into the ocean of samsara.

The spiritual master is neither the ultimate object of devotion, viSaya-vigraha, nor the original reservoir of devotion, Azraya-vigraha. He is a manifestation or prakAza-vigraha of the original reservoir of devotion. Sri Krishna is the supreme object of all love, whereas the guru is the reservoir of divine love. Krishna is the predominating absolute, the bhoktA bhagavAn, while the guru is the predominated absolute, or sevaka-bhagavAn; he is God as worshiper or servant. Even though the spiritual master is the reservoir of love, he is Krishna himself; at the same time he is the most beloved of Krishna. This is the inconceivable paradox of guru tattva. Krishna is the complete omnipotent and the spiritual master is his complete potency. The spiritual master is not an ordinary living entity, he is master of all living entities. The spiritual master is the supreme consciousness, the plenary manifestation of the Lord's potency, his internal potency. We ordinary jivas on the other hand are atomic particles of consciousness, Krishna's marginal potency and separated parts.

Assuming Responsibility of Being Guru

by

Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakura

"We have taken upon ourselves the responsibility of welcoming this grave charge. All the audience have accepted ordinary seats, I alone have been provided with a lofty seat. All are being told in effect - "Do have a look at a big animal from the Zoo-gardens. What arrogance! So foolish! So wicked! Have you ever seen such a big brute?

Garlands of flowers have been put round his neck! What laudations! What bombastic long-drawn, and hyperbolic adjectives! And how complacently too he is listening to the praise of his own achievements, how intently, and with his own ears! He also evidently feels delighted in mind!

Is he not acting in plain violation of the teaching of Mahaprabhu? Can such a big brute, so selfish and insolent, be ever reclaimed from brutishness?

I happen to be one of the greatest of fools. No one offers me good advice on account of my arrogance. Inasmuch as nobody condescends to instruct me I placed my case before Mahaprabhu Himself.

The thought occurred to me that I would make over the charge of myself to Him and see what He would advise me to do. Then Shri Chaitanyadeva said to me:

"Whom-so-ever thou meet'st, instruct him regarding Krishna, By My command being Guru deliver this land; In this thou wilt not be obstructed by the current of the world; Thou wilt have My company once again at this place."

In these verses is to be found the proper explanation of the apparent inconsistency noticed above.

He whose only teaching is humility greater than that of a blade of grass, said- "By My command being Guru save this land!" - In this instance Mahaprabhu Himself has given the command.

His command being "Perform the duty of the Guru, even as I do it Myself. Also convey this command to whom-so-ever you chance to meet."

Chaitanyadeva says, "Tell them these very words, viz. By My command being Guru save this land Deliver the people from their foolishness." Now who-so-ever happens to hear these words would naturally protest with palms joined - "But I am really a great sinner, how can I be Guru? You are Godhead Himself, the Teacher of the world. You can be Guru." To this Mahaprabhu replies:

"Do not practice the craft of a Guru for the purpose of injuring others through malice. Do not adopt the trade of a Guru in order to get immersed in the slough of this world. But if you can, indeed, be My guileless servant you will be endowed with My power--then you need not fear.

I have no fear. My Gurudeva has heard this from his Gurudeva. And it is for this reason that my Gurudeva has accepted even such a great sinner as myself and has told me. "By My command being Guru save this land."

It is only those who have never heard these words of Gaursundar who say "How odd! to listen to one's own praise!" While the Guru is instructing his disciple in the eleventh Skandha of the Bhagavatam what a great sin, in their opinion, is he not perpetuating! What is the Acharya to do when he has to explain the Shloka Acharya Mam Vijaniyat: "Never disregard the Acharya; never entertain the idea that the Acharya is your equal in any sense." These are the words of Shri Krishna Himself by which the jiva is to be benefited.

Is the Guru to take himself off, to desert his seat--the seat of the Acharya--from which these words are to be explained?

That office his Gurudeva has conferred on him. If he does not act up to its requirements he is doomed to perdition by reason of his offense against the holy Name in the shape of disrespect towards the Guru. He has to do it in spite of the fact that such procedure is apparently open to the charge of egoism. When the Guru imparts the mantram to the disciple should he not tell him by this mantram to worship the Guru? Should he say instead, "Give the Guru a few strokes of the shoe or the horse-whip?" The Guru is never to be decried. The Guru is the abode of all the gods. Should the Gurudeva abstain from communicating these words to his disciple while reading the Bhagavatam to him? "To him alone who possesses guileless spiritual devotion, similar to the transcendental devotion that is due to Krishna Himself, to the Gurudeva, the holy mysteries are manifested." Is the Gurudeva not to tell these things to his disciples? "Athau Gurupuja: the worship of the Guru has precedence over all others." The Guru is to be served just as Krishna is served. The Guru is to be worshiped in a particular way. Is the Guru to desert his seat without telling all these things to the disciple? In the angle there is always the defect in the shape of absence of the fullness, the evenness of level, of 180 degrees or of 360 degrees. But in the plain surface, in 360 degrees, there is no such defect. That in the emancipated state no defect is possible, this simple truth ordinary foolish people entirely fail to grasp.

As the saying goes, "having started on the dance it is no use to draw close the veil." I am doing the duty of the Guru, but if I preach that no one should shout "Jai" to me, that is to say, if I say in a round about way, "sing Jai to me," it would be nothing short of duplicity. Our Gurudeva has not taught us such insincerity. Mahaprabhu has not taught such insincerity. I have to serve God in the straightforward way. The word of God has come down to the Gurudeva; I have to obey it in all sincerity. I will not disrespect the Guru at the instance of any foolish or malicious sectarians. Especially as Shri Gurudeva has directed me saying, "By My command being Guru save this land." This command has my Gurudeva preached. My Gurudeva in his turn has conveyed the command to me. I will not be guilty of any insincerity in carrying out that command. In this matter I will not accept the ideal of ignorant, insincere, pseudo-ascetic sectarianism. I will not learn insincerity. The worldly-minded, the malicious, the pseudo- renunciationists, the selfish cannot understand how the devotees of God, spurning at everything of this world by command of God, never, not even for a second, deviate from the service of God through all the twenty-four hours.

Hypocritical sectarians, pseudo-Vaishnava sects, those sects that cherish internally the longing for earthly fame, naturally enough think "what a shame it is for one to listen to the eulogies of disciples occupying the seat of the Guru." But every Vaishnava regards everyone of the Vaishnavas as the object of his veneration. When Thakur Haridas exhibits the attitude of humility Mahaprabhu says - "You are the greatest of the world, the crestjewel of the world. Be agreeable, let us have our meal together." He carried in His arms the body of Thakur Haridas which is eternally existent, self-conscious and full of spiritual bliss. In the community that follows Srila Rupa, the qualities of desiring no honor for oneself and of readiness to duly honor others are fully present. Those who detect any disparity are, like the owl, blind while the sun shines. They commit an offense by such conduct.

If I disobey the law which has come down to me through the chain of preceptorial succession, the offense due to omission to carry out the command of the Guru will sever me from the lotus-feet of Shri Gurudeva. If in order to carry out the command of the Vaishnava Guru I have to be arrogant, to be brutish, to suffer eternal perdition, I am prepared to welcome such eternal damnation and even sign a pact to that effect. I will not listen to the words of other malicious persons in lieu of the command of the Gurudeva. I will dissipate with indomitable courage and conviction the currents of thought of all the rest of the world, relying on the strength derived from the lotus feet of Shri Gurudeva. I confess to this arrogance. By sprinkling a particle of the pollen of the lotus-feet of my Preceptor crores of people like you will be saved. There is no such learning in this world, no such sound reasoning in all the fourteen worlds, in no man-gods, that can weigh more than a solitary particle of the dust of the lotus-feet of my Gurudeva. Gurudeva in whom I have implicit trust can never spite me. I am by no means prepared to listen to the words of any one who wants to hurt me or to accept such a malicious person as my preceptor.

"There is no such a scholar as my guru. I will never accept anyone else as a scholar. There is no such teachings as those that my guru has imparted, to be found in any human being, or in any demigod."

The above is practically a paraphrase of so many sastric references of Sri Guru's unique position in the eyes of the disciple. "saksad haritvena samasta sastrair,etc..."

—Part One

Why the Feet of Sri Guru

By Sri Srimad Gour Govinda Swami Maharaja

One should understand what is sri-guru-carana-padma. The words "sri-guru" are very significant. "Sri" means sobha, beauty; sampada, transcendental wealth, or asset; and srestha, the topmost. "Sri-guru" means that guru who is endowed with sri, with prema-bhakti. The word "sri" is used because there is no question of Sri Guru disappearing or not being manifest. It is only applicable to a guru who is eternally manifest. Otherwise such a word would not be used.

The Only Wealth

In this world, Sri Guru is the only beauty or asset, wealth. There is nothing else. Carana means feet. Sri-guru-carana-padma the feet of Sri Guru are compared to the lotus. This is also very significant. Why are his feet compared to the lotus and not to anything else? The lotus flower looks very nice and beautiful, and it also provides very sweet honey, madhu. The bumblebee collects honey from different flowers, but especially from the lotus flower. So what sort of special quality is there in the honey collected from the lotus flower that is not present in the honey collected from other flowers? It is a special type of honey known as padma-madhu. The disciple who is like a bumblebee, who is very hungry and greedy for that honey, relishes it.

Mellow of Bhakti

Although the lotus flower grows out of the water, it is not touched by it. One of the synonyms for water is rasa, mellow. The feet of Sri Guru are compared to a lotus, but this lotus grows in the transcendental water of bhakti-rasa, the mellow of bhakti. Such are the lotus feet of Sri Guru. His lotus feet are aprakrta, not material, but transcendental. They are bhakati-sadma, the abode of transcendental bhakti-rasa as well as all madhuri, beauty. The lotus looks beautiful to the eye and is very attractive to the heart.

Similarly, the shining lotus feet of Sri Guru are very beautiful in the eyes of the disciple and very attractive to his heart. All of the activities, form, qualities, and pastimes of Sri Guru are very beautiful in the eyes of the sadhaka-bhakta. Through the eye of meditation the sadhaka-bhakta sees the beautiful lotus feet of Sri Guru. Upon seeing those lotus feet he feels a soothing effect in his afflicted heart. His heart is afflicted with the three tapas, sufferings: adhyatmika, sufferings arising from one's own mind and body; adhidaivika, sufferings arising from nature; and adhibhautika, sufferings arising from other living entities. When the disciple meditates on the beautiful lotus feet of Sri Guru he feels a soothing effect and his affliction is cooled down. At the same time he also smells the nice scent that is coming from the lotus feet of Sri Guru, like the scent that comes from the lotus.

Cooling Shade

The bumblebee wanders everywhere, going to various types of flowers. One type of flower is the ketaki flower. That flower is found in India, but not in the West. The tree on which the ketaki flower grows, like the rose plant, has thousands of thorns. The ketaki flower has a nice scent, and a bumblebee that becomes attracted by the scent from the ketaki flower goes there. But because of the many thorns on the tree his wings become torn and he feels so much pain and affliction.

The bumblebee thinks, "Where to go now? Can I get shelter in a place where there is no pain and affliction? Where can I get peace?" After wandering hither and thither, at last he comes to the lotus flower and experiences the cooling, soothing effect there. He takes shelter inside the lotus flower, sucks the sweet honey there, and thus gets nourishment.

Similarly, the jiva who is wandering and wandering through the innumerable universes and through the innumerable species of life of this material world — brahmanda bhramite kona bhagyavan jiva* — gets only more and more suffering, misery, and torture. There is no cooling effect in the material world, which is like a blazing forest fire — samsara-davanala.

Nobody starts the forest fire, but automatically by the rubbing of two pieces of wood, the whole forest is burned and the animals that live in the forest are burned to ashes. They feel the burning heat, which is very painful. Similarly, the conditioned souls in this material world feel the burning sensation coming from the three tapas: adhyatmika, adhibhautika, and adhidaivika. After wandering through innumerable universes and innumerable species of life, at last the fortunate soul, bhagyavan jiva, comes to the lotus feet of Sri Guru and takes shelter in the cooling shade there. As the bumblebee sucks honey from the lotus flower, similarly, the guru-.-padma, the lotus feet of Sri Guru, allow that jiva, who is compared to the bumblebee, to suck the nice honey whereby he gets real nourishment and also premananda, loving happiness.

Special Type of Honey

Padma-madhu, the honey collected from the lotus flower, is a special type of honey. The Ayurveda-sastra says that it is a good medicine for the eye. If someone has some eye disease due to impurities in the eye the kaviraj, ayurvedic doctor, will advise him to rub some padma-madhu in his eyes. Because of these impurities one cannot see clearly and feels pain. Applying some padma-madhu on the eyes will clean out all the impurities and then one will be able to see clearly. Similarly, the guru-.-padma-madhu, the honey emanating from the lotus feet of Sri Guru, is so sweet and nectarean that if a fortunate disciple gets it and relishes it then the disciple's eyes will be cleansed of the material conception.

Eyes of Knowledge

om ajnana-timirandhasya

jnananjana-salakaya

caksur unmilitam yena

tasmai sri-gurave namah

I was born in the dense darkness of ignorance, blind, without real vision. Sri Guru, by his causeless mercy, has opened my eyes with the torchlight of knowledge.*

For a person who has some painful eye disease, who cannot see well, the kaviraj will advise him to apply some padma-madhu by which the drsti-sakti, the power to see clearly, will develop. Then not only will he get nice eyesight but also he will be able to see even very subtle things that he would otherwise never have been able to see. Similarly, when one takes shelter at the lotus feet of Sri Guru and gets the guru's mercy, the guru allows the surrendered disciple to taste that sweet honey emanating from the guru's lotus feet. That is the medicine whereby his material eyes will be cleansed of all material contamination. He develops transcendental vision.

He may have been blinded by the dense darkness of ignorance, ajnana-andhakara, but that will all be gone now. The darkness is dispelled and he receives the eyes of knowledge— divya-jnana-caksu. Sri Guru imparts tattva-jnana, and by his mercy the disciple develops transcendental vision. With that vision he will be able to see the beautiful form of the Supreme Lord, Syamasundar. This is the honey, or madhu, emanating from the lotus feet of Sri Guru; it acts in such a wonderful way. Therefore the phrase, "sri-guru-carana-padma" is very significant — the lotus feet of Sri Guru are compared to a lotus. Why is this comparison made and how to explain it?

Wonderful Characteristic

Padma-madhu cures eye disease and clears out all the impurities from the eye, but it cannot clear the impurities from the heart. However, the honey emanating from the lotus feet of Sri Guru, guru-.-padma-madhu, has such a special and wonderful characteristic that it cures both the eye and the heart. Sri-guru-carana-padma-madhu cleanses and purifies the heart so that it will become a suitable place for Govinda, Krishna, to reside.

tomara hrdoye sada govinda-visram

govinda kohena — mora vaisnava paran*

Narottam Das Thakur sings, "O Vaisnava-thakura! Govinda, Krishna, resides in your heart, which is like Vrindavan, the eternal abode of Govinda. He stays there very blissfully and peacefully. He never leaves your heart."

The guru makes the heart of his surrendered disciple a suitable place for Krishna to reside. Because the guru gives the disciple shelter at his lotus feet and allows him to suck that special type of honey that has that wonderful characteristic, the heart of the surrendered disciple is cleansed.

Wandering Hopelessly

The conditioned souls are like a diseased person suffering from various kinds of material ills — bhava-rogi. Their disease is very chronic. They have already taken many medicines — allopathic, homeopathic, and Ayurvedic — but the disease is still not cured. The disease is incurable and has become chronic. They have already lost their vitality, jivana-sakti, and cannot digest any food. They have taken so many medicines, and that has also produced a bad effect.

These days you will find so many strong drugs, but what is their effect? They simply result in chronic incurable disease. People lose their vitality, and they cannot even eat anything because their digestive fire is very low. How can they survive? They are dying. They cannot eat or digest anything.

The kaviraj will advise, "You should only eat one thing — madhu. And especially padma-madhu, the special type of honey from the lotus flower."

He prescribes padma-madhu, whereby they will regain their vitality. This honey will give them life. Any other type of food cannot be given; only padma-madhu is advised. Then they can regain their vitality. Such jivas, wandering through innumerable universes and experiencing the miseries of innumerable species of life, have become completely hopeless. They are only getting suffering, so many material ills — bhava-roga.

If such persons are fortunate, they will come to the lotus feet of Sri Guru. That guru is like a physician, sadhu-vaidya. He knows the perfect and unfailing medicine to cure the material disease, bhava-roga. He knows the cause of the jiva's suffering. There is only one medicine, the honey emanating from the lotus feet of Sri Guru — guru-.-padma-madhu. So, as the lotus allows the bumblebee whose wings are torn by the thorns of the ketaki flower to take shelter inside the flower, similarly, the guru allows the disciple to take shelter at his lotus feet.

The guru-.-padma, the lotus feet of Sri Guru, gives such hopeless wandering souls shelter and allows them to suck honey, whereby they regain their vitality. The suffering jiva gets nourishment and life there. That is why we say, "sri-guru-carana-padma." The lotus feet of Sri Guru are compared to a lotus, and not to anything else. This phrase has great significance.

— Originally From "The Worship of Sri Guru."

saksad-dharitvena samasta-sastrair

uktas tatha bhavyata eva sadbhih

kintu prabhor yah priya eva tasya

vande guroh sri-caranaravindam

The spiritual master is honored as much as the Supreme Lord because he is the most confidential servitor of the Lord. This is acknowledged in all revealed scriptures and is followed by all authorities. Therefore I offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of my spiritual master, who is a bona fide representative of Sri Hari. [srila Viswanath Chakravarti Thakur, Gurv-astaka, verse 7 ]

Sri Guru is saksad-dharitvena, he is as good as Lord Hari. He does not belong to this material world. He belongs to the spiritual world, Krishna's world. He comes down here out of his causeless mercy, either voluntarily to deliver the fallen souls or when the Lord sends him. Whether he comes here voluntarily or by the will of the Lord, that guru-.-padma descends here to shower his mercy on the suffering conditioned souls who have been drowning in the dreadful ocean of materialistic existence since time immemorial. That guru-.-padma descends and stays here in the material world.

Someone may raise the question, "This material world is illusory, mayika jagat. The three modes of material nature are here, sattva, raja, and tama— goodness, passion, and ignorance. If the guru comes and stays in this material world, will he not be affected by those three modes? How can his transcendental nature remain unaffected in this dreadful ocean of material existence? How does he act here?"

This is very easy to understand from the example of the lotus flower. The lotus flower lives in the water, but it is not affected. It remains untouched. Similarly, although Sri Guru comes here to this material world, he remains untouched. He is never affected by the three modes of material nature. Therefore the feet of Sri Guru are compared to a lotus. The bumblebee that comes to the lotus that is in the water and takes shelter inside that lotus is also untouched by the water. Similarly, the fortunate soul who has taken shelter at the lotus feet of Sri Guru will never be afraid of this material world. Just as the bumblebee takes shelter of the lotus and is protected from being touched by the water, so the disciple who takes shelter at the lotus feet of Sri Guru will not be affected by the material nature. This is the lotus feet of Sri Guru.

Intense Desire

Another point is there. When the sun rises, the lotus blossoms, and when the sun sets the petals of the lotus close. Similarly, the petals of the guru-.-padma will open when it sees the intense desire and crying in the heart of the suffering soul to go back to Godhead and get Krishna. This crying for bhakti is like the rising of the sun.

When the sun sets, the petals of the lotus close. Similarly, a disciple who has developed an intense and burning desire in his heart has come to the guru and received shelter. But many times we see that later on, that disciple loses his bhakti-vrtti, his devotional engagement. Because of committing some offense like nama-aparadha or vaisnava-aparadha he loses his bhakti-vrtti. His bhakti becomes shrunken and he does not carry out the orders of the guru or hear the guru's message. He is avoiding or disobeying his guru. When the sun sets, the petals of the lotus close. Similarly, the guru disappears from the vision of that disciple.

Always Manifest

Of course, for one who has made advancement and developed some taste for this transcendental mellow, this is not applicable. It is only applicable to neophytes who have not yet made much advancement and who have not developed any taste for this mellow. If such a devotee commits some aparadha and associates with offenders and materialistic persons, if he does not do real sadhu-sanga, then the sun will never rise. He will disobey the order of the guru and violate his instructions. The guru-.-padma will disappear from such a disciple who is acting according to his own whims.

This is not applicable for advanced devotees who have developed taste for this transcendental mellow. They cannot leave it because it has become their life and soul. They cannot survive without it. For such a disciple the guru-.-padma will never disappear. He is always with the guru and the guru is always with him. In all conditions he is engaged in the loving service of guru-.-padma. He is a nisthapara-bhakta, who has achieved at least the minimum stage of nistha.

For such a very advanced devotee who has developed a taste— meaning he has come to the minimum stage of nistha, or beyond that, like ruci, asakti, or bhava— for him there is no question of disappearance of the guru. He is with guru. The guru never disappears from him. He always sees and realizes the presence of his guru. For that bhakta, the guru is always manifest. The guru will never leave him. But for one who has not achieved the stage of nistha, the apprehension is there that if he commits some aparadha or violates the guru's instructions, the guru may disappear from his vision. That means the sun will set and the petals of the lotus will close.

Crying Is Required

The sisya or sadhaka should always cry for guru-krpa, the causeless mercy of the guru. Unless you cry for it, you cannot get it. Nobody can get that mercy without crying. For example, when the child cries, the mother runs, thinking, "Oh, my child is crying." The child cannot be pacified by anything without the mother's presence. Because she is engaged in performing household duties the mother may give the child a toy or a doll to play with, but the child will throw down that toy or doll and cry and cry. So unless you cry, how can you get that mercy? This crying is required— karuna na hoile, kandiya kandiya, prana na rakhibo ara. Therefore we sing this song. We must cry and cry for the mercy of guru. Unless you cry how can you get it? Those who have cried have received the mercy.

gurudeva! krpa-bindu diya, koro' ei dase, trnapekha ati hina

sakala-sahane, bolo diya koro nija mane sprha-hina

sakale samman, korite sakati, deho' natha! Jathajatha

tabe to' gaibo, harinama-sukhe, aparadha ha'be hata

kabe heno krpa, lobhiya e jana, krtartha hoibe, natha!

sakti-buddhi-hin, ami ati din, koro' more atma-satha

jogyata-vicare, kichu nahi pai, tomara karuna sara

karuna na hoile, kandiya kandiya, prana na rakhibo ara

Gurudeva! By a drop of your mercy, make this servant of yours more humble than a blade of grass. Give me strength to bear all trials and troubles, and free me from all desires for personal honor.

O lord and master! Invest me with the power to properly honor all living beings. Only then will I sing the holy name in great ecstasy and will all my offenses cease.

O lord and master! When will this person be blessed by obtaining your mercy? I am low, fallen, and devoid of all strength and intelligence. Please make me your beloved servant.

When I examine myself, I find nothing of good value. Your mercy is therefore essential to me. If you are not merciful, I will constantly weep, and I will not maintain my life any longer. [srila Bhaktivinode Thakur, Saranagati]

This is our prayer. This weeping or crying is required. Unless the child cries the mother will not run and the child cannot get the mother's breast. Similarly, unless you cry, how can you get the darsana of Sri Guru? When the child cries, the mother runs to him. Similarly, although the guru may be in some other part of the world, when the disciple cries the guru runs there. Sri Guru is karuna-maya, he is causelessly merciful. Thus whether he is manifest or unmanifest he gives darsana to his disciple. He may also come in a dream to give his darsana.

This guru-tattva is nitya-tattva— an eternal transcendental tattva. It is eternally prakata, manifest. It is not aprakata, unmanifest. There is no question of guru-tattva becoming unmanifest. This sri-guru-carana is inconceivable. It cannot be understood through one's material knowledge, intelligence, or merit.

Eternal Associate

Sri Guru is a nitya-parikara, an eternal associate of Sri Sri Radha and Krishna. The last limit of guru-tattva is nityananda-tattva. Nityananda Prabhu is gaura-parikara, an eternal associate of Gaura. Similarly, Sri Guru is the eternal associate of both Gaura and Krishna, because in tattva, Gaura and Krishna are one. There is no difference between gaura-tattva and krsna-tattva.

Therefore we say saksad-dharitvena, Sri Guru is as good as Lord Hari. That means that Sri Guru is asraya-tattva, the abode of love. Lord Hari is the only visaya-tattva, the object of love, whereas Sri Guru is asraya-tattva. The guru is called sevaka-bhagavan, the servitor Personality of Godhead, whereas Krishna, Lord Hari, is sevya-bhagavan, the Supreme Personality of Godhead who is to be worshiped. Both are called bhagavan. That is visaya and asraya, the object of worship and the abode of worship. Otherwise, in tattva they are one.

guru krsna-rupa hana sastrera pramane

guru-rupe krsna krpa karena bhakta-gane

According to the deliberate opinion of all revealed scriptures, the spiritual master is nondifferent from Krishna. Lord Krishna in the form of the spiritual master delivers His devotees. [Caitanya Caritamrta Adi 1.45.]

Krishna showers His mercy in the form of guru. Without that mercy, one cannot understand or approach Krishna or go back to Godhead. Krishna appears before us in the form of guru to help us and act as our friend. Showering His causeless mercy through the guru, Krishna delivers us from unlimited suffering in the material world. Krishna is also in the heart in the form of Paramatma, the caitya-guru. From within, Krishna will give us the intelligence to act in the correct way and not make any mistakes or errors. This is the glory of the lotus feet of Sri Guru. It is incomparable and indescribable.

Embodiment of Mercy

Both the siksa-guru and the diksa-guru are representatives of Krishna. Their krpa, mercy, is unlimited. There is no difference between the siksa-guru and the diksa-guru.

yadyapi amara guru--caitanyera dasa

tathapi janiye ami tanhara prakasa

Although I know that my spiritual master is a servitor of Sri Chaitanya, I know him also as a plenary manifestation of the Lord. [Caitanya Caritamrta Adi 1.44]

This is the tattva. Therefore we say that Sri Gurudeva is krsna-krpa-sri-murti— he is the embodiment of krsna-krpa, Krishna's mercy. If Krishna's mercy assumes a body and appears before us, that is Sri Guru.

Guru-Bhakti

If someone develops guru-bhakti he will get Krishna.

yasya deve para bhaktir

yatha deve tatha gurau

tasyaite kathita hy arthah

prakasante mahatmanah

Only unto those great souls who have implicit faith in both the Lord and the spiritual master are all the imports of Vedic knowledge automatically revealed. [svetasvatara Upanisad, 6.23]

One who develops the same type of bhakti for the guru as he develops for Krishna is a very fortunate soul. All transcendental knowledge will be revealed or manifest to him because there is no difference between guru-bhakti and krsna-bhakti. Without guru-bhakti, transcendental knowledge will never manifest. Sri Guru is krsna-priya-jana, a very dear associate of Krishna. He is also radha-priya-sakhi, a very dear girl companion or maidservant of Srimati Radharani, like Rupa Manjari, who is Rupa Goswami.

The mula guru-tattva, the original guru-tattva, is nityananda-tattva, Sri Nityananda Prabhu. By gradually descending, Sri Guru, or nityananda-tattva, has come to us. Nitaichand is both the diksa-guru and the siksa-guru. The caitya-guru is His manifestation. This is guru-tattva. They only differ in their activities or lilas. Therefore we say, sri-guru-carana-padma. It is very significant that the lotus feet of Sri Guru are compared to a lotus.

Body, Words and Mind

Bandon mui savadhana mate— one should offer prayers and worship, vandana, with the utmost care. There are three types of vandana: kaya, vakya, and mana— through our body, words, and mind. With our body we fall flat on the ground and offer our dandavat pranamas to gurudeva— kaya-vandana. Through our words we offer prayers and glorify the guru— vacika-vandana. And through our mind we always meditate on the beautiful and transcendentally blissful lotus feet of the guru— manasika-vandana.

If one has money or some material opulence then he should render service through that money. That is kayika, service through the body. If one has some followers or if he is a family man with a wife, son, daughter, friends, and servants, then with those followers or subordinates he should give everything and render loving service to the lotus feet of the guru. That is also kayika. One should serve with all one's capacity, which is why it says bandon mui savadhana mate— with the utmost care one should do vandana.

With one's words one should offer prayers and glorification to the guru. One should also hear from the guru, sravana. Whatever one has heard from the guru, one will speak to others, and in that way others will also hear what he has heard. That is vacika. Pariprasna is also there: If one has some doubts then he should humbly ask questions and get them clarified. These are all types of seva.

In one's mind, manasika, one should put firm and unflinching faith in the words of the guru. One should understand that the guru has manifested before me in various forms to help me and shower his mercy on me. This is how one serves the guru through one's mind. That is the meaning of kayika, vacika, and manasika.

One should think, "Guru-krpa is my only asset, nothing else." Therefore we say bandon mui savadhana mate— I do guru-vandana with the utmost care. Always be careful and never be careless.

Krishna's Trick

Sri Guru tells me that I am an eternal servant of Krishna and thus I should be engaged in His service. But where is Krishna and where am I? How can I serve Him? Is Krishna in the material world? No, Krishna is in the spiritual world, Vaikuntha. That is Krishna's world. Krishna is the only enjoyer. The jiva can never be the enjoyer. Gurudeva says, "Whatever you find in this world is all paraphernalia for Krishna's enjoyment, not for your enjoyment." Krishna's world is Vaikuntha, where there is an abundance of enjoyment.

Just as we want to be free from the clutches of maya, Bhagavan, the Supreme Lord Krishna, also wants to take us out of maya's clutches and engage us in His service. Krishna is the only enjoyer and His desire for enjoyment is unlimited. Thus He wants to enjoy by taking everyone into His domain. We are tiny jivas. We have no capacity to enjoy, because the jiva is not the enjoyer. We have only developed this purusa abhimana, the thought that I will enjoy and enjoy. It is only our misconception, because the jiva has no capacity to enjoy. Krishna has unlimited capacity to enjoy in unlimitedly different ways, and the jiva is to be enjoyed, upabhogyam.

Krishna is there in His abode, vaikuntha-rajya, the spiritual world, and we are here in the sakuntha-jagat, the miserable material world. How then can we serve Him? Krishna has made a trick for us, and that trick is Sri Gurudeva. Krishna has sent Sri Gurudeva to this material world to spread here Krishna's samsara, His household or family. It is Krishna's desire that His samsara be manifest in this world. All sadhus and mahajanas are gurus, so Krishna has sent them to manifest His samsara. So in this material world gurudeva has opened Krishna's samsara.

The Supreme Lord has not said, "You go and make your own samsara." Rather, Krishna has said, "Go there and do My samsara." So by Krishna's desire, gurudeva has come here and opened Krishna's samsara. Krishna is his eternal master, nitya-svami. Gurudeva has completely surrendered and dedicated his life, kaya, mana, vakya— body, mind and words, to Krishna. That is gurudeva.

Those who take shelter at the lotus feet of such a Sri Guru— he takes them and makes them enter into Krishna's samsara. Gurudeva says, "I am doing Krishna's samsara, giving everything for the enjoyment of Krishna. You please come and enter into Krishna's samsara. Then you will be free from the clutches of maya. You will be free from all material sufferings."

Enter into Krishna's Family

Gurudeva may construct a cottage in a solitary place and engage himself in bhajana by the side of Radhakund or Syamakund. Why would he leave, especially to go to the Western world where maya is very strong, where there are many gross materialists? He goes because his heart bleeds, seeing the suffering of the jivas. He has given up all these things to give us the opportunity to do hari-bhajana, service to Krishna. He teaches us and gives us the opportunity to serve Krishna. We have forgotten Krishna, so just to revive our memory he has come here. He has opened Krishna's samsara. He has opened a factory and we have become an employee in that factory. Thereby we will enter into Krishna's samsara.

Some people may say, "I am doing hari-nama, chanting, 'hare krsna hare krsna krsna krsna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare.’" You may be chanting, doing hari-bhajana, but unless you enter into Krishna's samsara what value is there? Unless you enter into Krishna's samsara there is no value to your chanting. And in order to enter into Krishna's samsara you have to approach a Sri Guru, a bonafide guru.

At that time gurudeva will call you, "Come, come. Enter into Krishna's samsara, which I have opened here." Unless we enter into Krishna's samsara, we cannot chant. It will only be offensive chanting. You may be chanting lakhs and lakhs of nama, but it will simply be offensive, nama-aparadha. Your anarthas cannot be destroyed. Even if you chant lakhs of names offensively you cannot make any advancement at all. Many people may chant, but what are they getting? By that kind of chanting they may go up to Vaikuntha, but gurudeva has come here to teach that you should enter into guru's samsara, that is, Krishna's samsara. You are a servant so you have to render service by entering into the guru-grha. Then you will attain perfection. Otherwise one will never attain perfection.

Krsna-Seva-Yajna

What do we want from entering into the samsara of the guru? Shall we take everything and not give anything? The guru has given you so much, but unless you serve in the house of the guru there is no benefit. Therefore the guru says, "Come and join, enter into my samsara, that is, Krishna's samsara. Then all your anarthas will be destroyed."

So, dedicate your body, mind, and speech, your soul and everything, to the service of Sri Guru. You have come to the house of the guru. That means he has opened a factory and you should be an employee in that factory. Sri Guru will give you employment. Who will give you employment otherwise? Will the government give you employment? No. But the guru will give you employment in the factory that he has opened. That employment is service to Krishna, krsna-seva-yajna. Unless you join that seva-yajna, rendering service in the guru-grha, guru's asrama, you cannot get the real benefit.

Obstacles

Gaurasundar Mahaprabhu speaks and teaches through Sri Guru. So, dedicating everything, kaya, mana, vakya— one's body, mind, and speech, one should serve Sri Guru. Then perfection is guaranteed. That is definite, no matter what obstacles or impediments may come. So many obstacles are there. In the material world there is danger at every step. Great stumbling blocks are there, but if you completely surrender through your body, mind, and speech then all impediments and stumbling blocks will be destroyed within a moment. In this very life you will attain perfection. There is no doubt about it. Without the mercy of Sri Guru, without service to Sri Guru, no one can approach Krishna, understand Krishna, or get Krishna. Therefore, everyday we offer this prayer and worship the lotus feet of Sri Guru.

sri-guru-carana-padma, kevala-bhakati-sadma,

bandon mui savadhana mate

""There is no such a scholar as my guru. I will never accept anyone else as a scholar. There is no such teachings as those that my guru has imparted, to be found in any human being, or in any demigod."

The above is practically a paraphrase of so many sastric references of Sri Guru's unique position in the eyes of the disciple. "saksad haritvena samasta sastrair,etc..."

like I said: WHERE IN THE SHASTRA do you find support for that particular statement? dont post reams of quotes irrelevant in that case. find just one SHASTRIC quote supporting this statement. remember: GURU, SADHU, SHASTRA - they ALL! must concur on a particular point - otherwise it is just a sentiment, however noble or well intentioned it may be.

Guest guest

Prabhu the words of great souls such as Srila Bhaktisiddanta Saraswati are not merely sentiment. If you accept that he is pure representitive of Bhagavan then His words are sastra.

Although they may not always be direct quotes of slokas from sastra, they will be elaborating the point in reference. In this particular instance they may not be fully supporting the particular quote you are referring to.

i.e."There is no such a scholar as my guru. I will never accept anyone else as a scholar. There is no such teachings as those that my guru has imparted, to be found in any human being, or in any demigod."

sravanayapi bahubhir yo na labhyah

srnvanto 'pi bahavo na vidyuh

ascaryo 'sya vakta kus lo 'sya labhda

ascaryo jnata kusalanusistah

Many cannot hear about the soul, and even after hearing about it many cannot understand it, because it is hard to find a guru who is a genuine seer of the truth. Such a qualified guru is a great soul and is very rare. Only those who follow his teachings can realize the truth and become expert in the science of God. Such disciples are also very rare. (Katha Upanisad 1.2.7)

apane acare keha, na kare pracara

pracara karena keha, na karena acara

'acara' 'pracara' namera karaha 'dui' karya

tumi sarva-guru, tumi jagatera arya

Some practice but do not preach, others preach but do not practice, but one who is perfect in both preaching and practice is the guru of the entire universe.

You are a real jagad-guru, for you practice what you preach.

(Cc. Antya 4.102,103)

acaryam mam vijaniyan navamanyeta karhicit

na martya-buddhyasuyeta sarva-devamayo guruh

Know the acarya to be as good as Myself. Never disrespect him. Because the acharaya channells the infinite He is therefore greater than the sum-total of the infinite. So never envy him or consider him an ordinary man for He is more important than all the DemiGods.

yadyapi amara guru caitanyera dasa

tathapi janiye ami tanhara prakasa

Although I know my guru is a servitor of Sri Caitanya, I know that He is a full manifestation (prakasa) of the Supreme Personality of Godhead Himself.

(Cc. Adi 1.44)

So you won't find the exact quote you are asking for anywhere in scripture, but if you take shastra as a whole you will find various references, that support this statement.

It's obvious in this instance it referrs to the disciples feeling that his guru is all in all. And other disciples with different gurus will surely feel the same sentiment and realize the same revelation about their guru.

Which if they are Mahabhagavat, will be all too true.

Prayer unto the Lotus Feet of my Lord and Master Srila Prabhupada

Sri Sri Prabhupada-padma Stavakah

Prayer unto the Lotus Feet of my Lord and Master Srila Prabhupada

by

Sri Srimad Bhakti Raksak Sridhar Dev Goswami Maharaj

sujanarbuda-radhita-.-yugam

yuga-dharma-dhurandhara-patra-varam

varadabhaya-dayaka-pujya-padam

pranamami sada prabhupada-padam

His lotus feet are served in devotion by multitudes of high, virtuous souls; he is the establisher of the religion of the age (as Sri Krsna-sankirtana); he is the presiding monarch (of the Visva Vaisnava-Raja-Sabha - the universal society of the pure devotees that are the true 'kings' or guides of all); and he is the fulfiller of the most cherished desires of those who dispel fear (for all souls). I make my obeisance unto the lotus feet of that illustrious great soul, worshippable by one and all - perpetually do I make my obeisance unto the radiance emanating from the toenails of the holy feet of my Lord.

bhajanorjita-saj-jana-sangha-patim

patitadhika-karunikaika-gatim

gati-vancita-vancakacintya-padam

He is the leader of the fortunate souls blessed with the treasure of internal pure devotion; he is greatly merciful upon the fallen souls, being their only shelter; and his inconceivable holy feet are the shelter for the deceivers, by deceiving them. I make my obeisance unto his lotus feet - perpetually do I make my obeisance unto the radiance emanating from the toenails of the holy feet of my Lord.

atikomala-kancana-dirgha-tanum

tanu-nindita-hema-mrnala-madam

madanarbuda-vandita-candra-padam

I make my obeisance unto his divine, charming yet commanding lofty form of golden hue. That beautiful figure shames the mad ecstasy of golden lotus stems. Venerated by tens of millions of Cupids, the moons of the toenails of my Worshipful Divine Master reveal the beauty of his lotus feet. Perpetually do I make my obeisance unto that effulgence emanating from the toenails of the holy feet of my Lord.

nija-sevaka-taraka-ranji-vidhum

vidhutahita-hunkrita-simha-varam

varanagata-balisa-sanda-padam

Like the moon that delights the stars, he is surrounded by his circle of personal servitors, making their hearts bloom in divine ecstasy. The malicious non-devotees are made to flee in panic by the sound of his thunderous roar, and the simple, inoffensive souls attain the ultimate fortune by accepting his lotus feet. I make my obeisance unto him; perpetually do I make my obeisance unto the brilliance emanating from the toenails of the holy lotus feet of my Lord.

vipulikrta-vaibhava-gaura-bhuvam

bhuvanesu vikirtita-gaura-dayam

dayaniya-ganarpita-gaura-padam

He has revealed the vast, magnificent beauty of Sri Gaura Dhama; he has broadcast the tidings of the supreme magnanimity of Sri Gauranga throughout the whole universe; and in the hearts of the fit recipients of his grace, he has firmly established the lotus feet of Sri Gaura. I make my obeisance unto him; perpetually do I make my obeisance unto the effulgence emanating from the toenails of the holy feet of my Lord.

cira-gaura-janasraya-visva-gurum

guru-gaura-kisoraka-dasya-padam

paramadrta-bhaktivinoda-padam

He is the eternal shelter and the Universal Guru for the souls surrendered unto Sri Gauranga. Absorbed in the service of his Gurudeva, Sri Gaura Kisora, he wholeheartedly adores Sri Bhaktivinoda Thakura. I make my obeisance unto him; perpetually do I make my obeisance unto the effulgence emanating from the toenails of the holy feet of my Lord.

raghu-rupa-sanatana-kirti-dharam

dharani-tala-kirtita-jiva-kavim

kaviraja-narottama-sakhya-padam

He is the illustrious personality to raise the flag that sings the glory of Sri Rupa, Sri Sanatana, and Sri Raghunatha. His glory is sung throughout the world as nondifferent from the powerful personality of brilliant erudition, Sri Jiva. And he has won the renown of being one with the hearts of Srila Krsnadasa Kaviraja and Thakura Narottama. I make my obeisance unto him; perpetually do I bow down to the brilliance emanating from the toenails of the holy feet of my Divine Master.

kripaya hari-kirtana murti-dharam

dharani-bhara-haraka-gaura-janam

janakadhika-vatsala-snigdha-padam

Bestowing his grace upon all souls, he is Hari-kirtana incarnate. As the associate of Sri Gaura, he relieves Mother Earth of the burden of offenses committed upon her. And he is so gracious that his endearance of all beings excels that of even a father. I make my obeisance unto him - the mine of all these qualities; perpetually do I bow down to the effulgence emanating from the toenails of the holy feet of my Divine Master.

saranagata-kinkara-kalpa-tarum

taru-dhik-krta dhira vadanya varam

varadendra-ganarcita-divya-padam

Like a wish-fulfilling tree for his surrendered servitors (he fulfills their heart's aspirations), even a tree is shamed by his magnanimity and forbearance. And great personalities who are competent to confer boons - they, too, worship his lotus feet. I make my obeisance unto him; perpetually do I bow down to the radiance emanating from the toenails of the holy feet of my Divine Master.

parahamsa-varam paramartha-patim

patitoddharane krita-vesa-yatim

yati-raja-ganaih parisevya-padam

The crownjewel of the paramahamsas, the Prince of the treasure of the supreme perfection of life, Sri Krsna-prema, he accepted the robes of a mendicant sannyasi just to deliver the fallen souls. The topmost tridandi sannyasis attend his lotus feet. I make my obeisance unto him; perpetually do I bow down to the effulgence emanating from the toenails of the holy feet of my Divine Master.

vrishabhanu-suta-dayitanucaram

caranasrita-renu-dharas tam aham

mahad-adbhuta-pavana-sakti-padam

He is the dearmost intimate follower of the Divine Daughter of Sri Vrsabhanu, and I know myself as the most fortunate by taking the dust of his holy feet upon my head. I make my obeisance unto his invincible, wondrously purifying lotus feet - perpetually do I bow to the brilliance emanating from the toenails of the holy feet of my Divine Master.

Lecture given by

Srila Bhakti Prajnana Kesava Gosvami Maharaja

SASTRIYA SADHU-SANGA

cintamanir jayati somagirir gurur me

siksa-gurus ca bhagavan sikhi-pincha-maulih

yat-.-kalpataru-pallava-sekharesu

lila-svayamvara-rasam labhate jayasrih

["All glories to Cintamani and my initiating spiritual master, Somagiri. All glories to my instructing spiritual master, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who wears peacock feathers in His crown. Under the shade of His lotus feet, which are like desire trees, Jayasri [Radharani] enjoys the transcendental mellow of an eternal consort." (C.c. Adi 1.57)]

All glories to he who Sri Krsna, the beloved life and soul of Sri Radha, considers to be more dear than His own life. All glories to he who is nayantara, the star of the eye of Sri Radha, who is the all in all of Sri Krsna. All glories to that personality who is the eternal companion of Sri Gauranga and Sri Sri Radha-Govinda, and who is the only friend, shelter, and very life and existence of fallen souls like me. All glories to Sri Gurudeva, my eternal master, who is the eternally worshipable lord of my heart, the deliverer of the fallen, the most magnanimous, and an ocean of compassion. All glories to that wish-fulfilling jewel (cintamani svarupa), Sri Srimad Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Prabhupada, the personal associate of Gaura and Radha (gaura-radhe nijajana), the dust of whose lotus feet alone is the object of my constant longing and is my supreme necessity. May that prabhu, who does not see the faults of others (adosa darsi), and who is the friend of the destitute and lowly (dina bandhu), cast his merciful glance upon me. By his own qualities may he forgive the offences of a fallen offender like me, thus giving me the opportunity of his eternal service. This is my only prayer and submission at his lotus feet.

I am ignorant, blind and fallen. I do not know, nor have I tried to know, what is auspicious and what is inauspicious. However, my sri guru-.-padma came from Goloka to this world only to help me. His heart was afflicted with the burden of distress upon seeing my averse nature, and after some time he returned to his eternal abode. He alone mercifully made people like me, who were blinded with ignorance, acquainted with the fact that there is no other means of welfare besides sadhu-sanga, and no way to attain the mercy and service of Bhagavan other than by obtaining sadhu-seva and sadhu-krpa.

Only those who are fully dedicated to Bhagavan (bhagavadanugat) and exclusively surrendered to Krsna (krsnaika-sarana) are sadhus. The association of such sadhus is the only desirable thing for us, because it alone bestows the highest welfare. In one sense, only sadhus are the life of one's very life. No one is my friend and supreme well-wisher besides the sadhus, or the bhaktas of Gaurasundara. By my Gurudeva's grace I have received the opportunity to hear such an auspicious vani, message. I have not only obtained the opportunity to hear from him, but also to associate with him, which is rarely attained even by the demigods, as well as to associate with his nijajanas, personal associates. It is only because of this that a fallen and degraded person like me became successful. Thus, how can I find any shelter or support other than by praying for mercy at the lotus feet of my prabhu, the deliverer of the fallen and the friend of the world? Therefore, I pray to him, folding my hands and bowing down my head.

adadanas trnam dantair idam yace punah punah

srimad-rupa-padambhoja-dhulih syam janma janmani

["This fallen soul stands with a straw in his teeth and ceaselessly begs to attain the dust of the lotus feet of Srimad Rupa Gosvami birth after birth." (Sri Raghunatha dasa Gosvami's Sri Dana-keli Cintamani 175)]

There is no means for us to attain the highest welfare other than through sadhu-sanga, and therefore it is instructed in Srimad-Bhagavatam (11.26.26):

tato duhsangam utsrjya

satsu sajjeta buddhiman

santa evasya chindanti

mano-vyasangam uktibhih

["An intelligent person should therefore reject all bad association and instead take up the association of saintly devotees, whose words cut off the excessive attachment of one's mind."]

One should take sat-sanga, giving up all types of asat-sanga. By the influence of sadhu-sanga, in other words, by the sharp words emanating from the pure devotees' lotus mouths, the hidden fantasy of the mind in the form of desires for sense enjoyment, and also the covered desires for sense enjoyment in the form of desire for renunciation, are dispelled from the heart forever. There will be no path to attain auspiciousness and bhagavat-priti, if one becomes indifferent towards such sadhu-sanga and sadhu-seva. Although such sadhu-sanga is extremely rare, it is not completely unattainable for one who prays for it without duplicity, with sincerity, and with the knowledge that it is very difficult to receive the association of a sadhu in this world of asadhus (non-devotees). Bhagavan mercifully appears in this world to give His sanga, and sometimes He sends His dear associates. We see in Sri Caitanya-caritamrta:

sadhu paiya kasta bada jivera janiya

sadhu-guru rupe krsna aila nadiya

"Knowing that it is very difficult for a jiva to come across a sadhu, Krsna Himself appeared, as a sadhu and guru in Nadiya."]

sri-krsna-caitanya ara prabhu nityananda

yanhara prakase sarva jagat ananda

"The appearance of Sri Krsna Caitanya and Prabhu Nityananda has surcharged the world with happiness." (C.c. Adi 1.87)]

dui bhai hrdayera ksali' andhakara

dui bhagavata-sange karana saksatkara

"But these two brothers (Lord Caitanya and Lord Nityananda) dissipate the darkness of the inner core of the heart, and thus They help one meet the two kinds of bhagavatas (persons or things in relationship with the Personality of Godhead)." (C.c.Adi 1.98)]

eka bhagavata bada---bhagavata-sastra

ara bhagavata---bhakta bhakti-rasa-patra

"One of the bhagavatas is the great scripture Srimad-Bhagavatam, and the other is the pure devotee absorbed in the mellows of loving devotion." (C.c.Adi 1.99)]

dui bhagavata dvara diya bhakti-rasa

tanhara hrdaye tanra preme haya vasa

"Through the actions of these two bhagavatas, the Lord instills the mellows of transcendental loving service into the heart of a living being, and thus the Lord, in the heart of His devotee, comes under the control of the devotee's love." (C.c. Adi 1.100)]

There are two types of sadhus: sastras (scriptures) and bhaktas (devotees). Both of these perform kirtana; that is, both can glorify the topics of Bhagavan and His bhaktas. Sastras and bhaktas are the only friends and well-wishers of the jivas, and therefore they are the very life of the jivas. Those who are intelligent, who always engage in the search for truth and the path of eternal well-being, cannot live without the association of sadhus and sastras. With firm vows they follow sadacara, conduct leading to truth, in the form of steadfastly rejecting asat-sanga and eagerly taking sat-sanga. Therefore, they always endeavour to have the sanga of bhakta-bhagavat. In the absence of sadhu-sanga, they take the association of sastra. The conscious entity, or jiva, cannot live without such association throughout the twenty-four hours. If one does not always have sadhu-sanga both externally and internally, he will surely have to accept asat-sanga.

When at any time the sanga of the bhagavat (bhakta) is not available to us, what other means remains for our auspiciousness than accepting sastriya sadhu-sanga? Our intelligence cannot be firmly fixed in Krsna without sadhu-sanga. Therefore, what benefit will we derive through sense enjoyment performed on the pretense of service that is devoid of the guidance of sadhu and sastra? What benefit will there be by remaining indifferent to sadhu-sanga, wherein sat-siddhanta is discussed?

The sanga or anugatya of the sadhu is service indeed. The hari-katha emanating from the lotus mouth of the sadhu, his sastra-katha, alone attracts us towards the lotus feet of Hari, Guru and Vaisnavas. Therefore, those who are intelligent always keep their minds and life absorbed in the discussion and service of the katha of sadhu and sastra. We certainly invite inauspicousness by showing indolence towards such discussion.

Our previous acarya Srila Kaviraja Gosvami Prabhu has said in Sri Caitanya-caritamrta:

siddhanta baliya citte na kara alasa

iha ha-ite krsne lage sudrdha manasa

"A sincere student should not neglect the discussion of such conclusions, considering them controversial, for such discussions strengthen the mind. Thus one's mind becomes attached to Sri Krsna." C.c. Adi 2. 117)]

Hari, Guru and Vaisnava---these are all adhoksaja, beyond the mundane realm, and are nitya-sevya vastu, eternally the objects of our service. Their conscious and spiritually enlivening words alone are sastra. Therefore, the sastras are also adhoksaja and nitya. Not knowing this, if we consider sastra, Sri Murti, Sri Nama and Sri Vaisnava as entities of the mundane realm composed of five elements and thus neglect them, we will surely be drowned in the mud of offences and will remain deprived of their service. If we fail to cultivate and discuss the topics of sadhu and sastra, then, being overpowered by the urge of speech, we will be unable to restrain ourselves from discussing the unreal topics of this world, either openly or secretly. Therefore, it is imperative for an intelligent person to endeavour to hear the glories of sastra from devotees who are well-versed in their imports, even if he himself has no desire to discuss sastra.

One gradually develops ruci for chanting Sri Nama by faithfully chanting with great respect and sraddha. Similarly, one develops firm faith and ruci in the statements of scriptures by regularly discussing scripture under the guidance of sadhu and guru. At that time, the jiva acquires the fortune of realizing sastras to be his shelter and very life. At that time he cannot live without the association of the book bhagavat and devotee bhagavat, and their association becomes the only object of his prayers and discussion.

We do not always get the association of living sadhus. Therefore, supremely compassionate Prabhupada, my Acaryadeva, mercifully wrote to his followers: "Without performing hari-bhajana, a jiva will become a karmi, a jnani and anyabhilasi, covetous for motives other than Krsna. One should therefore constantly call Bhagavan by chanting the maha-mantra. By loudly performing kirtana of krsna-nama, maintaining a fixed number of rounds, one becomes free from anarthas and his mundane propensities will be dispelled.

"Sastriya sadhu-sanga is proper. [in other words, in the beginning stage of one's sadhana, a sadhaka must keep himself confined within the standards of vaidhi-bhakti set by sadhus in sastra.] Afterwards, for the purpose of bhajana-siksa, one is at liberty for sadhu-sanga. [When one reaches the higher stage of raganuga bhajana, then he can approach a svajatiya-asya-snigdha sadhu for bhajana-siksa and perform his bhajana under his guidance and instructions, which may be independent from the norms of any sastra.]

"You should attentively study the spiritual magazines. As you get time you must study and discuss Kalyana kalpataru, Prarthana, Caitanya-caritamrta, and so on. You will be able to attain all perfection by offencelessly chanting. Sri Nama reveals Himself when one hears, studies and discusses sastra. The anarthas that you have at present will not become intense if you intensely perform sravana and kirtana."

Krsna-kirtana alone is the jivas' dharma, constitutional occupation. This krsna-kirtana is of four kinds---nama-sankirtana, rupa-sankirtana, guna-sankirtana and parikara-vaisistamaya-lila kirtana (kirtana of pastimes saturated with the specialty of Krsna's associates). We are ignorant about Krsna, and therefore to perform krsna-kirtana, which is the sole occupation of the jiva, is impossible for us. Therefore, Sri Vedavyasa, being overwhelmed with mercy towards foolish jivas like us, has composed Srimad-Bhagavatam for our welfare. By discussing this paramahamsi-samhita, Srimad-Bhagavatam, bhakti towards Purusottama Krsna at once appears and dispels lamentation, delusion and fear. Srila Sukadeva Gosvami, the crest jewel of muktas, liberated persons, studied this Srimad-Bhagavatam from Srila Vedavyasa.

Bhagavan Himself sends sastras in the form of sadhu and guru because we are forgetful about Krsna. Is our path of auspiciousness then not obstructed if we do not respect or show eagerness to discuss such sastras, which are full of auspiciousness and which were written and composed only for our welfare? Being completely unaware of these facts, is it proper for us to make sarcastic remarks towards those who are following their lives according to sastra and sadhus, those who are well-versed in bhakti-siddhanta, and those who hold Gurudeva more dear than their own self?

For the welfare of the jivas, the bhaktas have painstakingly and with great difficulties written sastras. If, however, we do not discuss and study them, are we not guilty of the fault of neglect? Those who have priti for Hari, Guru and Vaisnavas, cannot live without priti for sastras. In other words, they will surely have priti for sastras also. Srila Kaviraja Gosvami Prabhu has given us specific instructions for discussing Sri Caitanya-caritamrta and other scriptures. A wise person should certainly discuss all these topics.

maya-mugdha jivera nahi svatah krsna-jnana

jivere krpaya kaila krsna veda-purana

["The conditioned soul cannot revive his Krsna consciousness by his own effort. Therefore, by His causeless mercy, Lord Krsna compiled the Vedic literature and its supplements, the Puranas." (C.c. Madhya 20.122)]

'sastra-guru-atma'-rupe apanare janana

'krsna mora prabhu, trata'---jivera haya jnana

"The forgetful conditioned soul is educated by Krsna through the Vedic literatures, the realized spiritual master and the Supersoul. Through these, he can understand the Supreme Personality of Godhead as He is, and he can understand that Lord Krsna is his eternal master and deliverer from the clutches of maya. In this way, one can acquire real knowledge of his conditioned life and can come to understand how to attain liberation." (C.c. Madhya 20.123)]

sadhu-sastra-krpaya yadi krsnonmukha haya

sei jiva nistare, maya tahare chadaya

"If the conditioned soul becomes Krsna conscious by the mercy of saintly persons who voluntarily preach scriptural injunctions and help him to become Krsna conscious, the conditioned soul is liberated from the clutches of maya, who gives him up." (C.c. Madhya 20.120)]

In this world there is immense facility to hear mundane talks, but there is great scarcity of hari-katha. Therefore, everyone should become eager to hear hari-katha---in other words, to discuss sastra. This is my prayer to everyone.

The Greatness of the Vaisnava

by Srila Bhakti Rakshak Sridhardeva Goswami Maharaja

(excerpt from Divine Aspiration)

Question: On the path of devotional service, how is one to improve his own condition?

Srila Sridhar Maharaj: Through superior association. In the commercial world, in business, if you want something but you have insufficient capital to purchase it, if you join with a greater capitalist, if you make some arrangement with him, your business will grow, it will develop. Similarly, if you want to improve your condition in Krsna consciousness, find a 'capitalist'; on your own, by your own transaction, you may not gain so much, but with their help you can go on, you can advance more quickly.

ESSENTIAL PRINCIPLE

Help is of two kinds: from sadhu and sastra, from saints and scriptures. The living agent is sadhu, and the passive, sastra. There is no other way to improve but by sadhu-sastra-krpa - by their mercy.

krsna-bhakti-janma mula haya 'sadhu-sangha'

krsna-prema janme, tenho punar mukhya anga

(Cc. Madhya 22:83)

The very root, the origin, beginning of krsna-bhakti, devotional service, is association - the help of the sadhu. And in the higher stage also, when your dormant love for Krsna awakens, that association is still the most essential principle to help you. The birth of devotion is from there, its nourishment is also from there; and at the end, when you have almost finished, have almost attained the final stage, then also, with the help of some superior, under some superior you are to go on, to continue your service. So, the sadhu is all-important, from the beginning to the final goal. At the final stage also, no direct connection with Krsna is admissible but you are to do some service only under the direction of the sadhus. The eternal servitors are there, in different departments of service, and you will be taken in and directed: "Serve Krsna under his direction, or her direction..." So, sadhu-sangha is always necessary.

TELESCOPIC SYSTEM

Do not have disgust towards the sadhu, thinking: "O, he's just a man. Why should we do service to him, why should we do vaisnava-seva? Why is it recommended so much in different places, in different scriptures? It is always said, 'You are to be dependent on sadhu'; but I want God, Himself! Why will he come between me and God?" Do not think like that. Rather, you can understand the importance of the sadhu by the example of the telescope: in a telescope there are so many lenses coming between myself and the object of my search, but they help my vision. The guru-parampara, the disciplic succession, is working in this way, like a 'telescopic system'.

The devotees' aspiration therefore is 'dasa-dasa-dasa-anudasa, tad dasa-dasa', to be the servant of the servant of the servant of Krsna's servant's servant. His understanding will be: "There are so many gurus, and they are thinking about my welfare." To have so many gurus means that so many guardians are always trying for my fortune.

We find in this world that a man who has many servants, thousands of servants always waiting on his order, thinks he is holding a very good position, a high position. But in the case of a devotee it is just the opposite. He will think that if he has so many gurus, so many guardians looking after his welfare, then he is really a wealthy man: "I am fortunate when so many guardians are looking out for me, for my interest, and are pleading my case in the upper level." To have a connection with the guru-parampara, to be servant of the servant, to be under the guardianship of the great Vaisnavas, is a great fortune. It is a fortunate life.

BE CAREFUL

In the beginner, faith in the Vaisnava is not apparent. The newcomer in devotion says, "I want Bhagavan, God, Krsna. Then why the impression is always given to us, 'O, you must get the krpa, the mercy, of a Vaisnava; you must get his blessing. You must go to him to have your fortune'? Why this tedious thing, that the Vaisnava always is coming between us, between Bhagavan and myself?" But when the aspirant is grown up, his faith in the Vaisnava becomes established more and more. Ultimately, even our attention to the vigraha, the Deity, and the sastra, the Scripture, we may leave, we may put aside, but we must always submit to the Vaisnava, the Lord's living agent.

So the first cause of nama-aparadha is offense to the Vaisnava:

satam ninda namnah paramam aparadham vitanute

yatah khyatim yatam katham u sahate tad-vigarham

(Sri Padma Purana)

"To blaspheme the saintly persons who are engaged in preaching the glories of the Hare Krsna maha-mantra is the worst offense at the lotus feet of the Holy Name. The Nama Prabhu, Who is identical with Krsna, will never tolerate such blasphemous activities, even from one who passes as a great devotee."

While taking the Name, especially in the beginning of spiritual practice, the first warning is this: "Be careful in your association with the sadhus. They are truly your well-wishers to the utmost, the agents who are carrying good to you, so be very much alert not to commit any wrong against them. Don't misunderstand them; try to have faith in them. Their goodness is beyond your understanding. They love you so much. You cannot love yourself as much as they do, because they see you as the property of their Lord. From that standpoint they love you; and that love is very high, in quality and quantity. So be very careful, don't commit any wrong against the sadhu you must always remember this."

yadi vaisnava-aparadha uthe hati mata

upade va cinde, tara sukhi yaya pata

(Cc. Madhya 19:156)

"If the devotee commits offense to the Vaisnava while cultivating the creeper of devotion, his offense is compared to a mad elephant that uproots the creeper and breaks it. In this way the leaves of the creeper become dried up."

If any great crime comes against the sadhu, the Vaisnava, then the whole of the offender's devotional life will be demolished. The Lord will be enraged with him: "My devotee is going to give him all wealth, and he is kicking him? What is this? He is the most wretched..." So we must be careful about this offense of satam-ninda, the first nama-aparadha: offense to the Holy Name.

MERCIFUL NITAI

But still we see that Nityananda Prabhu is the most merciful, even to the offenders. His nature is of a peculiar type, a special type, such that whom even Mahaprabhu is rejecting, He is keeping them, giving them assurance: "No, no, don't be hopeless..." Nityananda Prabhu's mercy was shown in this way in the pastime of Mahaprabhu and Kala-Krsna dasa.

Kala-Krsna dasa was accompanying Mahaprabhu on His journey in south India, and there he did something wrong: he left Mahaprabhu's personal association, enticed by the Bhattatharis, the gypsy women. This occurred in south Kerala, Karnataka, the place of Madhvacarya. The people of that province, both men and women, are reputed to be very beautiful. Their complexion is very good, as well as their features and their figures; Gandhi referred to that place as the 'land of the fairies'. And Kala-Krsna dasa was enticed, and left Mahaprabhu's association. That even in the direct company of Mahaprabhu, Kala-Krsna dasa was deviated from Him, he could be taken away, is certainly also for our instruction. But utilising His special power, Mahaprabhu rescued Kala-Krsna dasa from the gypsies' camp; and later, after taking him to Jagannath Puri, Mahaprabhu released him from His service, saying "He is of such nature; but, anyhow, I have taken him from the hands of those villifiers. Now I release him, he may go anywhere." But Nityananda Prabhu utilised Kala-Krsna dasa, He again gave him service: "Go to Saci devi and inform her that Mahaprabhu has arrived in Puri safely after two years tour in the south country. Mahaprabhu's safe arrival' give this news to Saci devi." Despite Mahaprabhu's rejection, still Kala-Krsna dasa was utilised, by Nityananda Prabhu.

WAIT AND SEE

When I was preaching in Madras there was a similar case which I can remember. Myself and Hayagriva brahmacari (later he became Sripad Madhava Maharaj) were preaching there, and we sent one boy to the Madras Centre of Gaudiya Math. He was staying there and serving, as a brahmacari, but then he became misguided. Sripad B.P. Tirtha Maharaj, who was at that time quite elderly, was in charge of the Math there, and he punished that fallen brahmacari by ousting him, sending him away from the Math. He managed to stay in some other place in the city, then, after Sripad Tirtha Maharaj had left Madras, that boy came to Hayagriva and myself, pleading: "You please give permission, let me stay in the Math." We told him, "Guru Maharaj is very soon coming here; at that time, you come..." Then when Guru Maharaj came, to officially open the new lecture hall, we put the case to him: "This boy came for service, but then he had to leave, for such a reason; but again now he wants to stay in the Math. We have told him, 'Guru Maharaj is coming, and you come at that time'; now, he has come, what to do with him?"

EXTENSION OF GRACE

Then our Guru Maharaj, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur, said: "Mahaprabhu did not take Kala-Krsna dasa after he was seduced by the Bhattatharis' showing him a lady, a girl. So, I can't accept him. But Nityananda Prabhu kept him, and gave him engagement. So you should keep him." A peculiar position we then found ourselves in! I thought: "Gurudev, you are all-in-all our leader, our unconditional Lord; you can't accept him, then how can we give him shelter, being under your guidance?" That was a puzzle: "How can we do it? If you can't accept, then how can we?" But Guru Maharaj has said, "I can't accept him; but you should keep him...." And we had to adjust with that.

From this we can trace the line of benevolence and causeless mercy. The line of causeless mercy is extending from the Centre, but the extension gets the more intense position: "Go to see the mercy department, take yourself there; perhaps, there is some arrangement to help, to accept you..." Just as in a hospital, the general department disappoints the patient: "No, we can't accept such patients as you here. But, you may try the other department. There, you will find more accomodation". And after going there and checking, the patient finds them to be of such type: "Here we can accept all. There is arrangement for you." In this way we find the servants are more benevolent, more even than their Lord. It is inconceivable.

LOVE AND ABUSE

In seeing the mood of humility as expressed in different ways by Krsnadas Kaviraj Goswami and Vrndavan das Thakur, I also came to some revolutionary understanding about this.

While writing Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Kaviraj Goswami has expressed so much humility, humility of such a degree, that he says "My position is the worst; I am a sinner far worse than Jagai and Madhai, I am lower than the worm in the stool. If anyone hears my name, his merit will be diminished; and if anyone speaks my name, he commits sin - such kind of wretched person I am. But the grace of Nityananda Prabhu has taken me up from such a nasty pit, taken me to Rupa-Sanatana, to Raghunatha das, and to divine Vrindavan. I should not proclaim this, I should not speak in such a way, that "I have got something" - but if I do not say so, then it will show ingratitude to Nityananda Prabhu, I would be a traitor to Him. So I shall have to say, to admit, "I have got something"; and that is by the grace of Nityananda. It is all His property, His grace, otherwise there is nothing, no worth at all in me." With so much humility Kaviraj Goswami is approaching the public and appealing to them to come to Gaura-Nityananda.

But Vrindavan das Thakur, in his writing, says, "I appeal most fervently and with the greatest humility to you all: accept Nityananda and Sri Gauranga! You'll get the best benefit of your life. This I urgently beg you, with the utmost humility, with a straw between my teeth. But if such appeal of mine fails, and if still you want to put blame on Nityananda-Gauranga, then I just kick you! I kick such a person, demoniac person."

eta parihare o ye papi ninda kare

tabe lathi maron ta'ra sirera upare

(C. Bhag. Madhya 11:63)

"If in spite of hearing the glories of Nityananda, one blasphemes Him, then I kick the head of such a sinful person."

To this, the ordinary commentators will say, "Kaviraj Goswami and others, they are humiliating themselves so much, they are appealing in such a humble way. But this Vrndavan das! What kind of egoistic fellow is he? He says, he kicks those who do not come to hear his Gaura-Nityananda. He'll kick them! Such a boast, so proud he is - is he a Vaisnava? Is this type of person a Vaisnava? Trnad api sunicena, taror api sahisnuna: more humble than straw, more tolerant than a tree -- is he of this type?"

A NEW PATH

This is how Vrindavan Thakur's statement is met by the ordinary thinkers; but not long after joining the Gaudiya Math, I heard a revolutionary remark from our Guru Maharaj, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur, in which we find a most peculiar meaning or explanation. He said: "For those who had no chance, no possibility of entering into devotional service, by this statement Vrindavan Thakur has created a path. For those who had no chance of getting any service, Vrindavan Thakur has made that chance by kicking them." How is it so? Guru Maharaj explained, "Vrindavan Thakur has pronounced such a bold expression against those unbelieving persons to wound their feelings, so that Krsna will come to their aid. Just as, if any attendant or son of a gentleman does wrong to some other person, then that person's guardians will come to help their dependent: "Oh, what he has done to you, don't mind it; look here, I am giving something to you - be pleased, and go on, happily..." So, because Vrindavan Thakur has in such an ostentatious way apparently committed some wrong against that particular unbelieving section, it will draw Krsna's attention; Mahaprabhu's special attention will be drawn towards them, that "My son has done something wrong, some damage to you; don't take it badly, but 'forgive and forget' now, I am giving something to you, come..."

In this way Vrindavan Thakur has made a new path, by threatening the unbelievers in Gaura-Nityananda; by his strong remark of very abusive character, he has given the chance to those fellows to draw the greater and more special attention of the authority.

IMBUED WITH KRSNA

But this kind of statement, as we see given by Vrindavan Das Thakur, from where can it come? Only from the fully surrendered soul. Who is fully surrendered to Krsna - they can say such things.

Krsna is the Absolute Good; and everything in the soul who is fully surrendered to Krsna, everything in the pure Vaisnava, cannot but be goodness. Just as iron when put into the fire becomes of the nature of fire -- so the fully surrendered soul is imbued with Krsna in its every part.

sarva maha-guna-gana vaisnava-sarire

krsna-bhakte krsnera guna sakali sancare

(Cc Madhya 22:75)

"A Vaisnava is one who has developed all good transcendental qualities. All the good qualities of Krsna gradually develop in Krsna's devotee."

Every part of a pure Vaisnava, his wrath, his abusing, everything in him is pure, is good. It cannot but be. Whether his blessing or his curse, through him Krsna is giving something. Nalakuvera and Manigriva were cursed by Rsi Narada to become trees; but that misfortune was managed in such a way that they came to have their birth in Vrindavan, so that when their tree-form would be broken, uprooted by Krsna, they would get the chance to go to Goloka, for their eternal service.

So any connection with a Vaisnava is able to give such an ultimately beneficial result. But that does not mean that we shall deliberately go to offend him! It is not meant like that and we should not take it in that way. To do so will be inconsistent with the meaning; it will be suicidal.

AFFECTION THE CONTROLLER

The Lord Himself says, aham bhakta-parardhino asvatantra iva dvija, "I am dependent on My devotees." This was told by Lord Narayana to Durvasa Muni, in the case of Ambarisa Maharaj. Through affection, the infinitesimal jiva-soul, though by constitution the Lord's potency, and fully dependent on Him, can conquer or control his Possessor, his Lord.

We find that the law of affection is such. In India, in the family, the mother formally has nothing, she has no property, no right; but she commands reverence and respect, a high respect, and through this, she holds a superior position even to that of the father. The father holds the property; the mother holds no such property, no such right, formal right, but she has 'social right,' and through it she holds the greatest respect of the children. There is a popular sloka which says that the father is considered 'higher than the heaven', and the mother, 'higher than the land where we stand.' And it is also said, and we see, that both the mother and the father help to raise the children, but in that the mother's quota is far greater than that of the father, so her dignity, her superiority, is much greater than his. This is the custom in varnasrama-dharma: the mother has no legal possession, but she has social or moral possession.

DURVASA AND AMBARISA

When Durvasa Muni ran to Lord Narayana for His shelter, being chased by Sudarsana Cakra due to his offense against Ambarisa Maharaj, Lord Narayana told him,

aham bhakta-parardhino, hy asvatantra iva dvija

sadhubhir grasta-hrdayo, bhaktir bhakta-jana-priyah

(S.Bhag 9:4:63)

"I am dependent on My devotees. O you brahmin, I am not at all independent of them -- I am dependent on them, as if I have no freedom of My own. Yes, freedom I have got; but through My devotees' affection, I am reduced to such a position that it is as if I have none. In the case of My devotees I cannot but be partial; My independent thinking has no place there, so much indebted I think I am to them. Sadhubhir grasta-hrdayo: My whole heart has been 'swallowed' by them, those saints, devotees. They have swallowed Me, and I may not have any independent thinking, but only their interest, at heart. By their service, by their serving tendency, they have acquired such a position with Me."

Such an admission, a wonderful thing! Durvasa Muni wanted impartial judgement from the Lord: "I am a brahmana, Ambarisa is a ksatriya; I am a sannyasi, he is a grhasta, in household life. So my prestige is above him. And You are 'brahmanya-deva', You are supposed to be the supporter of the brahmanas. So I have a claim to You, that You must make a fair judgement in this case." Lord Brahma, and Mahadeva Siva, they had both frustrated Durvasa: "Go to Narayana, we can't do anything in this matter, we can't interfere." Then Durvasa had to approach Narayana for shelter. And Narayana replied: aham bhakta parardhino, "I am helpless; I am dependent on My devotees!"

NARAYANA'S STRICTURE

But Narayana also made a good argument to Durvasa: "Yes, you are a brahmana; but Ambarisa was also observing the Ekadasi-vrata, which is connected with Me. You observed that same vow, it is true, and you also knew, like him, that the parana, the time for breaking the fast, is a part of that vow. Then what wrong did Ambarisa do? What was his fault? Only in order to observe, to give respect to the vow, he did parana, in your absence. And you also did parana, on time; but, you are his guest, so he only took a drop of water to observe the indispensable part of the vow. He only took a drop of water, he did not feed himself without feeding you - and you were enraged with him? What he did, in his observance of the vow, he only did it for Me. And that disturbed you. And you say that you are more akin to Me than Ambarisa? The difference between you two arose where? In observance of My vow you both acted - and he was at fault? What reason is there? Who is nearer to Me, you or he?

You say that you are a brahmana, a sannyasi, that you are all these great things, and that you have the higher position. But when you went to burn him with that jatam, that fire-demon created from the hair you plucked from your head, Ambarisa did not step back, he did not run to save his life. But you - brahmana, sannyasi - when Sudarsana came to attack you, you were running through the whole universe to save your life. Then, who is sannyasi, you or he? When faced with the fire, he did not budge an inch to save his life. He stood, with the attitude: "If I have done anything wrong, let my life be finished." But you ran everywhere - to Brahma, to Siva. Finally you came here, in fear for your life. Then whose renunciation is superior, is better?"

In this way Durvasa was given stricture; he was rebuked, chastised, by Lord Narayana.

THE GREATNESS OF THE VAISNAVA

Then Lord Narayana told Durvasa, "You will have to go back to Ambarisa. I cannot give any judgement against My devotee. He will give judgement in this case. Go to him, and see how generous he is." What was Durvasa to do? He had to come before his opponent, for his judgement of the case. Arriving at the place of Ambarisa, he found him still standing in the same spot, mortified: "The brahmana is troubled on my account, and he is my guest. Some accident happened in such a way that Sudarsana chased him, and he is running all around, in every direction. But, he is my guest; without feeding him, how can I take food?" In this way Ambarisa was standing there in a mournful condition: "It is a bad luck for me, that when my guest is waiting I could not feed him, as is proper. How can I take food when my honoured guest is disturbed, and running this way and that? How can I?"

Just as he was thinking this, Durvasa appeared, chased by Sudarsana: "Maharaj, save me! There is no other saviour in this world for me, except you. I have come to you. Please, save me!"

Then Ambarisa began to pacify Sudarsana. He prayed: "If for a single day I have done any devoted activity for Narayana, O Sudarsana, you please pacify yourself. Be pacified. This brahmana is my honourable guest, and that you will disturb him in my presence - I cannot tolerate it. Please, stop." So Sudarsana had to withdraw, and Durvasa was saved. And then Durvasa was fed, as the guest of Ambarisa. And, astonished by the magnanimity of Ambarisa, Durvasa announced:

aho ananta-dasanam, mahattvam drstam adya me

krtagaso 'pi yad rajan, mangalani samihase

(S.Bhag. 9:5:14)

"O King, today I have experienced the greatness of the devotees of God, of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, because in spite of my offense against you, you have prayed for my protection."

Durvasa was astounded to find the depth of generosity in the servitors of Ananta, Narayana. That great rishi began to speak aloud, to announce on all sides the magnanimity, the nobility of the servitors of Narayana: "How great they are! I did so much wrong towards him, and he saved my life from the reaction, the danger that came as reaction! I insulted him, and he is honouring me so much."

THE HIGHEST JUDGE

So for one who has got nothing, who thinks that he is not an independent entity but that he is a slave, fully dependent on the Absolute, for him the Absolute has got, correspondingly, the proper recognition.

Lord Narayana Himself sent Durvasa to Ambarisa, His devotee, to be judged. Brahma failed, Mahadeva failed, and Narayana Himself admitted: "I also failed; I could not do anything independent of you, My devotee. You are the judge." The Lord makes the highest judge His devotee, His servant. We find it is like this.

(A Vyasa-Puja offering of five prayers glorifying special characteristics of Srila 108 Bhaktisiddanta Saraswati Goswami Thakura. Presented on the commemoration of his appearance, by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, at the Radha-Damodara temple, Vrindavana, India, in 1961.)

First Vasistya

1. On this day, O my master, I made a cry of grief; I was not able to tolerate the absence of my guru.

2. On this auspicious day I have come with this offering just to worship you, remembering your lotus feet.

3. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's judgement is that renunciation is most important. Not only that, but such knowledge must be delivered to every conditioned being.

4. The beginner in devotional service has no ability to solve this dilemma, but you are a maha-bhagavata, you have given us direction.

5. One bewildered by ignorance, what kind of renunciate can he be? He will only be a "phalgu-vairagi"; renouncing externally.

6. Renunciation is actually the result of real spiritual emotion. Without such feeling it is simply known as show-bottle.

7. But there is another "show-bottle" for the purpose of preaching. That is the Lord's sannyasa by which the Mayavadis are defeated.

8. Lord Caitanya's Philosophy is beyond varnasrama; it is Bhagavata dharma, for putting an end to all cheating processes of religion.

9. Performing dry renunciation there can be no real preaching. Therefore "Yukta vairagya" is given the highest essential understanding.

10. "That sannyasa which I have given you" is for preaching in devotion. The faithless sense enjoyers are unable to understand this.

Second Vasistya

11. Generally the sannyasis renounce everything and go and stay in the mountain caves, but you, O master, keep your sannyasis in mansions of marble.

12. To see a sense enjoyer is just like drinking poison, but you, O my master, go far and near, even abroad, to give them your darsana.

13. Mlecchas and Yavanas are forbidden to enter the Hindu temples, but you my Lord, make them chairmen and sit them in the assembly of devotees.

14. Hindus are not allowed to cross the ocean, but you send your devotees overseas to preach.

15. In the cities of Kali-yuga, the instructions of the bona fide spiritual preceptors are forbidden. Still you remain here in any way possible.

16. The devotees want to hide in a secluded place to perform their bhajan. You, however, do not accept this in your judgement.

17. Whenever there is an increase in population, there in that place preaching is to be found.

18. In London you want a student hostel. You explain that it must be first-class.

19. In the land of barbarians a student hostel for preaching Hari-Katha! Who can understand the significance of these things?

20. To resolve all the apparent contradictory statements is not the play of some incompetent fool.

21. If everyone simply sat down together and considered these things, what nice preaching there could be.

22. What is your order also, that everyone, coming together, should merge in your message and preach it to the world.

23. If everyone just initiates then there will only be a contradictory result. As long as it goes on there will be only failure.

24. Now even, my godbrothers, you return here to the order of our master, and together we engage in his puja.

25. But simply a festival of flowers and fruits does not constitute worship. The one who serves the message of the guru really worships him.

26. The service of the message is the real meaning of the Vedas. Don't be proud, brothers, come back to this.

27. Kalidas Nag (a learned man who was defeated by Srila Saraswati Thakura and later became his disciple), that master said in public forum one day.

28. That Kali's mission was to kill the entire world while the essential meaning of Lord Caitanya's message was kept locked up in a cage.

29. O shame! My dear brothers, aren't you embarrassed? In the manner of businessmen you increase your disciples.

30. Our master said to preach. Let the neophytes stay in the temples and ring the bells.

Third Vasistya

31. All these things are not our spiritual master's preaching methods. These are all the things done by the caste Gosvamis.

32. But just take a look at the terrible situation that has arisen. Everyone has become a sense enjoyer and has given up preaching.

33. In the temples they have also begun to lock the doors. Preach this bhagavata dharma, don't hesitate.

34. Within this world is another world, Whose sound is the unequaled penetrating force.

35. The preaching that "mullah (Muslim priest) only goes as far as the mosque and no further" should be put to an end today.

36. From the seas, across the earth, penetrate the universal shell, come together and preach this Krishna consciousness.

37. Then our master's service will be in proper order. Make your promise today. Give up all your politics and diplomacy.

38. Everyone come together on this day and make your valued comment. The five of you get together and decide what should be done.

39. You have become renouncers, brothers, so renounce everything. But if you also renounce the order of the spiritual master, then what kind of renunciation is that?

40. The one who renounces the guru's order (guru tyagi) and the one who tries to enjoy the assets of his spiritual master (guru-bhogi) are two kinds of useless persons. First become a servant of your spiritual master (guru-sevi) and then you will understand things clearly.

Forth Vasistya

41. If there is only one Supreme Lord, then a true sadhu, if his faith increases, he gives up the desire for profit, distinction and adoration in the material world.

42. Your gold, brother, is the father of sense gratification. This meaningful statement was spoken by Srila Prabhupada himself.

43. Give up your wealth for preaching. Sit down together and make some special judgement.

44. The Supreme Lord says that everything is Mine. Don't protest. Just unite and preach.

45. Srila Prabhupada gave this final message himself. Take care to follow that completely in all respects.

46. Otherwise your sannyasa will be wasted and useless. O saintly ones, be careful; afterwards you will regret.

47. So what is the difficulty for all of us to come together in this way and why do all these things even have to be said to you?

48. Give up your stubbornness, there is no time. Come all my brothers on this auspicious holy occasion.

Fifth Vasistya

49. When will that day come when there will be a temple established in every house in every corner of the world?

50. When the big court judge will be a Gaudiya Vaisnava with tilak beautifully decorating his forehead.

51. A Vaisnava winning votes will be elected president of the land and preaching will spread everywhere.

52. The demons simply plunder the Lord's wealth. The hapless populace cry, "Hai Hai" in distress.

53. The demons want so many plans just to cheat the people. They sell wheat flour at 32 rupees a mound.

54. Will opening a factory fill a hungry man's belly? Being oppressed by starvation they will eat grass and mango pits.

55. Wearing a two pisa string a man is called a brahmin. Wearing a saffron cloth he has become a sannyasi.

56. The householders beg from sannyasis, and why not? The sannyasis have tens of millions of rupees in the bank.

57. As the days pass, the influence of Kali-yuga increases and the poor are crying in distress.

58. Ten thousand cows are killed daily and the nations expert leaders are all eating untouchable foodstuffs.

59. People of muddy intelligence increase day by day. A man and his wife separate on mere word.

60. Everyone has become a witch by the influence of this age. Everyone is unhappy due to the absence of the mercy of the Vaisnavas.

61. The Vaisnavas are famous as "para dukha dukhi." This fame will increase as the preaching increases.

62. If eternally pure devotional service to Krsna is awakened in everyone, then Kali will flee, screaming of his own accord.

63. "Praninan upakaraya" do work for the benefit of all living beings. This is Mahaprabhu's teachings. This is the storehouse of happiness in this life and the next.

64. So much work has fallen into your hands, so gather together and do it.

65. Vasudeva Datta said to the Lord, paying his obeisances, save all the living beings in the material world.

66. Give all their sins and suffering to me, who am the lowest of all. In this way all the suffering and miseries of the fallen will end.

67. He was the best of the Vaisnavas, para dukha dukhi. He knows that there is not real happiness in gratifying the senses.

68. And what kind of mercy can the non-Vaisnavas give? They simply make offenses by their Daridra Narayana philosophy.

69. The mercy of the Vaisnavas is scientific and authorized, without their mercy this world is simply insurmountable maya.

70. If there is a kingdom of Visnu and Vaisnavas on the surface of the earth, then the world will be happy--so say the great sages and rishis.

71. Why is everyone crying for Rama-rajya? The only way it can be had is if there is a Visnu centered kingdom.

72. Lord Krsna enthroned King Yudhisthira; then the whole world was rich and fortunate due to the qualities of a Vaisnava.

73. The streams, rivers, trees and fields and mountains, were all full of fruits and flowers. The milk laden cows were floating in abundant milk.

74. The birds, beasts and lower creatures were all non-envious. Material life in the Vaisnava kingdom was regulated and perfect.

75. All immersed in bliss, singing the glories of the Hari. The hearts of Vaisnavas dance in ecstasy to see this.

76. The entire world is filled with the use of material objects, without a trace of devotion to the Lord.

77. Still they are searching after peace. Preach Krsna consciousness; fulfill their desires.

78. Today my brothers, get to this task. Save the battered souls by your preaching.

79. Srila Prabhupada, please be merciful today. This time have compassion. You are not a conditioned soul of this material world.

80. Whatever independence we have, let it be cast to the waters. The lowly Abhay offers this presentation today.

Vrndavana, Radha Damodara.

HDG A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

TO THE DIVINE MASTER

AND

THE SUPREME LORD SREE KRISHNA CHAITANYA

THE HARMONIST

OR

SHREE SAJANATOSHANI

VOL. XXIX DECEMBER 1931, Chaitanya-Era 445 NO. 6.

Divine Transcendental Sound

You should be seeking for the genuine messenger of Transcendental Knowledge. He will come when we are deserving. Seeking after the genuine source is our first need. We require to find out from where to get Transcendental Knowledge. Otherwise we shall be whiling away our time and be perturbed by different advises. It is when we seek the company of persons who have made real progress on the path of pure devotion that our prayer will be attended to and He will send somebody to act on His behalf to tell us about Him.

We are to surrender all knowledge which is not adequate. Unless we do so we will have no chance of meeting the genuine person. We have to undo all that we have, otherwise we cannot expect to meet the genuine messenger. We must have ardent desire to seek the messenger of the Absolute Knowledge. When we are given something we delete some other thing which is found meager and faulty.

We are to seek Absolute Truth from Absolute Godhead, Fountain-Head of all Knowledge. Our present receiving instruments intercept and are for this defective aptitude not fit to enable us to grasp the full idea. The language of this world also obstructs the process. To offer the listening ear is alone necessary.

We should not be in a contradicting mood. If we contradict we won’t get satisfaction. When we are to seek the Absolute Knowledge we have to pray to God, the Absolute Knowledge, in our present crisis to criple all wrong knowledge.

When our prayer is acceded to we shall have access to the congregation of Sadhus, His agents and be enabled to pick up things of which we have no knowledge. We should pray for, not local truth but bonafide Truth. Offering of sincere prayer for this end is the first necessity.

The Absolute Truth has a Form. Material forms are now overpowering us. We should seek the Absolute Truth. He is not a molecular mass, not sulphuric acid, not a Nature’s product. We should be careful not to misunderstand.

The Absolute Truth is to come, to be visible, to us. Then only we can secure the Absolute Knowledge Who is quite different from any knowledge of this world. That Eternal Knowledge cannot be had here. We cannot also receive Perfect Knowledge, Empiricism should impress this on us.

No knowledge from ‘empiricists’, i.e., no knowledge drawn from the senses, will help us to gain the Absolute Knowledge which is not at all shaky but is Knowledge Personified through utterance of the bonafide messenger of the Absolute.

It is perfectly useless to approach the empiricists for the true knowledge. They will enrich their disciples with mundane thought. If we do not pray for the Absolute Knowledge we shall be liable to fall into their clutches.

We, the true seekers require that a true messenger should come to us who will have no hankering for any temporary thing. As the Absolute Knowledge is ever-existing it must not be supposed to be the category of other knowledge.

Our hearty prayer to the Divine Absolute who is not inanimate should be to the above effect. He can grasp, and understand our position well. He will then send His bonafide messenger who will speak all about Him. If we pray for the genuine agent He will send him with language and every equipment which will admit us to the Transcendental Region.

Our present environment is cubical. We cannot cross the cubical expansion. We know nothing about the fourth and higher dimensions. We do not know how we can cross over these difficulties. Unless a man talks in our language about that region and gives us access there through the Transcendental Sound we cannot understand. That Sound has a different character from the mundane sound. That Sound does not require to be supported by other senses. The Transcendental Word will serve every purpose. It will require no other test.

The distinctive face of the Transcendental Sound consists in this that we will have no necessity of exercising other sensuous activities, e.g., for ascertaining pleasantness of touch or temperature, etc. We would have no occasion to test when the sound is no part of the mundane vocabulary. In case of mundane vocabulary we find it necessary to test its correctness by four other senses and by previous experience.

The Transcendental Sound will not require any such corroboration It clears all dirt, sweeps away everything detrimental to progress, through the lips of the messenger of Godhead. The agent of the Absolute is fully established in the Transcendental Region though he descends here as a messenger submitting the Transcendental Sound to our listening ears. When we are really in need Godhead will be merciful to send such a one according to our eligibility.

There are hundreds of processes by which Godhead can send His messengers and not in the shapes of human beings only. We must not be apathetic. All acquisitions of previous births and of this life will not give any real impression of the Truth but will give only wrong things. So we should be careful to seek only for the Absolute Knowledge.

The Absolute Knowledge will be kind enough if we are bonafide seekers. Only then will He accede. He will then come to us through such symbols and signs as will enable us to shake off our connection with this world and come into contact with Him in the Form of the Transcendental Sound.

In the Transcendental Sound there is no dividing difference between sound, color, etc. Unless He grants our prayer we cannot make any progress whatsoever by the help of our divided sense-experience. We should pray to meet the Guru, Who can transmit the Transcendental Sound. We will then be relieved of our temporal understandings. Eternal non-shaky understandings are required. If we have no such desire we shall be simply waiting for the next life. Outside things of this world will then tempt us. They presume we shall be attracted by their figures promising to supply with something positive. But they will part from us after showing only their deceptive inclination to be serviceable.

If we have the help of the Transcendental Sound we shall have strength to make progress through company of persons who have no other inclination but to heave us to that region. We should meet such persons who should not be predominated over by the earthly aspects. The outside appearance will only lead us to wrong things. Many yogis etc., have gone astray in this way. We should see whether the person on whom we depend has firm inclination for the Absolute, whether he would never be deceiving us in the matter of securing us access to, not the region of three dimensions but, the Realm of the Absolute.

We should be sending our prayer to the Fountain-Head. We should show our aptitude for serving the Absolute. When we are true, when there is no hypocrisy, we shall then have the sight of the messengers of the Absolute, not in the shape of a human being only, who have no other aptitude but to heave us up. This can be had only through prayer to the Absolute. The prayer should be to this effect.

`I know not what you are, what sort of color, etc., you have. I pray to know how I am to approach you’.

He will then send things here which will show us His Perfect Form by rejecting all sorts of deluding features.

There will be arrangement by the Supreme Lord for enlightening the bonafide inquirer. We shall be relieved of all our impressions received by mundane exertions by something positive from the other region. It will produce in us apathy for picking up knowledge by such exertions. Exertions through the medium of the senses will lead to a wrong direction.

Let us leave off the challenging temper, offer our lending ear and hear what the messenger says. We will clear up doubts; by interrogatories. The messenger need not be targeted as our flatterer. He will be speaking in the most insolent way. He will undeceive us by bitter words. If we have any hankering for the Truth we should submit to listen. The first duty of the messenger of the Absolute is to cut off our wrong impressions, to change our taste. It is an unpalatable duty. But we shall make progress by his regulation. You should be prepared for bitter words for the undoing of whatever you have learnt. `You should only hear Me and I take all responsibility.’ The Geeta gives us this assurance.

`You need not be anxious for looking after your interests. I will look after all your interests. When you have surrendered unconditionally leaving aside all acquired impressions I will look after your interests and you need not be any more anxious about them’.

It is this kind of temperament that alone would lead us to all that we desire. If we simply go on puzzling over the thoughts of all the speculative philosophers, etc., we shall only be misled. If we prove to be peaceful and avail of the chance of lending our ear to the Transcendental Sound, we would make progress towards the Absolute and be relieved of all impediments. Hearing of Transcendental Sounds and descriptions is the medium that should be taken recourse to. This alone is wanted.

Visualizing enterprises are not required. That is our present habit. But we need not be puzzling with that. We should only pay sufficient attention to the Transcendental Sound. We shall only put questions to be met by the messenger who is well up with all information. He is a practical guide. One who has got the transcendental treasure can give us something to meet the expenses of our journey to that region. Otherwise we shall be cooped up and our days will pass for nothing.

The theistic side of our disposition should be cultivated with all patience. We should have the determination to hear patiently what graciously comes to us from that quarter. The true spirit or God-loving spirit is necessary when we want to single out the genuine messenger. We should then be charmed to find that every wish fully satisfied and that we are no longer dissuaded by any preventing temptations. Firm affinity for serving the Absolute is the one essential criterion for being successful, the first thing to pray for.

The next thing is to abide by His Providence and wait for His messenger who has every inclination to serve Him, to devote everything he has for the Absolute and has no wrong aptitude to deceive. Every Elevationist is a deceiver. Every Salvationist is also a deceiver as the selfish motive of neither would trace the True Transcendental Object. If one has any selfish motive he will be summarily dismissed as he has no desire to hear but only to look after his present temporary interests. But the seeming present interests are really doing him harm. If he surrenders them to Him He will do everything to shake off his lure of all temporary interests.

Most people are attending to the senses. They are thereby misguided in selecting the messenger of the Absolute. Elevationists are troubled by men who deprive by enriching them by the words that he is to attend to the present comfort of his senses. All Paradise-seekers belong to the category of fruitive workers who propose to get pleasure through the senses which they hope to retain in next life in order to gain pleasure there. The soul should be intelligent enough not to have such wrong desire. Our longest lien in heaven will end when the destructive energy will act and we shall be thrown off. On this plane the destructive energy has greater potency than the building energy. Such temporary enjoying mood should cease in a truly intelligent being. We should not be indulging in such mood. The temporary situation in heaven comes to an end automatically when all resource of good qualities of the enjoyer is exhausted. Such a person after such repeated disillusionment begets the desire to follow the wrong process of seeking after salvation with the object of merging his individual soul with the Oversoul. By such process we lose ourselves.

Our need is that we should be ever exercising all our efforts for the attainment of bliss. This need we are also feeling at present. But the pseudo-salvationists advise that we should commit suicide to be relieved of everything. But this sort of salvation has very little lien to disturb my thought. Such sort of advice of salvation should be non-co-operated. What kind of freedom will it be if their is no location for me? This is altogether wrong. I require eternal understanding, existence and bliss for my own individual self. This can only be had by coming in contact with the Transcendental Object Who is never subject to change in space and time.

Through a devotion i.e., by serving the Absolute Person, we can have what we need. The Absolute is not to be identified with any Nature’s product. He cannot be enjoyed. But on the contrary, He is the Sole Enjoyer. We feel pain and pleasure. We welcome all sorts of Bliss, we discard all pain. So we are agents for receiving uninterrupted bliss. We require help from other things e.g., such external helps as food to be consumed, air for breathing, etc. This experience has given us to understand that we always require help which is not to be supped by us but by some other things. We require such help at every step.

If such help is coming from transitory things to one who cannot retain his position for eternal time, such help will be quite inappropriate and inadequate. It will be useless for our purpose. If we are only helped by the Absolute we may get our true remedy. If we understand this we would know that the path of devotion to the Absolute is the only path of our true salvation and true elevation.

The securing of pseudo-elevation and pseudo-salvation available by our own initiative can not be described as the royal road. That help can only come from Him. If we serve Him, co-operate with Him, if all our acts are restricted to Him, He will certainly have mercy and guide us. In the Geeta, the Divine Personal Godhead gives us (mankind) this assurance, "Surrender everything you consider you have and with a pure soul come to Me, leaving your mortal coils and your mentality. Because you are denied, you are misled and I will give you everything that will convince you that the path of seeking everything from the All powerful is the only proper one and this will give you everything and at other paths will take you away from your object.

Q. - This is the only subject in which all of us are most vitally interested But what about serving humanity?

A. - To help humanity in the best which is to enlightened them about the Absolute Truth. All this trouble has come own to our diffidence in regard to the loving mood of approaching Him. When the Divine Call will come we will be regulated and get amply what we require.

"So you won't find the exact quote you are asking for anywhere in scripture, but if you take shastra as a whole you will find various references, that support this statement."

we should be carefull not to accept such forced extrapolations as anything more than a devotional sentiment of a particular person.

DO YOU REALY WANT A DISCIPLE TO REJECT OTHER VAISHNAVA SAINTS AS IRRELEVANT? That is completely ABSURD!!!!!

"And other disciples with different gurus will surely feel the same sentiment and realize the same revelation about their guru.

Which if they are Mahabhagavat, will be all too true. "

and what IF they are NOT mahabhagavat devotees? what IF they are crooked like in the example I gave initially?

BLIND FOLLOWING IS NOT REQIRED IN SPIRITUAL LIFE!

Like I said:

you are quoting reams of irrelevant material. NOWHERE you will find a shastric quote calling on a disciple to see his Guru as the only scholar and authority in the matters of devotional study:

By accepting this quote, you throw away our tradition, with all it's checks and balances. That may not be a great risk if your guru is a true mahabhagavat, but as we all know too well, THAT IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE.

and that is also why in our tradition you must use the combination of GURU, SADHU, and SHASTRA.

I know guru-tattva quite well, thank you. but our tradition has checks and balances too, and for a good reason.

maybe if our system of checks and balances was emphasised just as much as the blind surrender to the guru, we would not have had all this past abuse of power and devotees by bogus gurus. and perhaps that would have saved from falldown some sincere devotees acting as gurus, who were essentially corrupted by their absolute power and lack of outside scrutiny.

"maybe if our system of checks and balances was emphasised just as much as the blind surrender to the guru, we would not have had all this past abuse of power and devotees by bogus gurus. and perhaps that would have saved from falldown some sincere devotees acting as gurus, who were essentially corrupted by their absolute power and lack of outside scrutiny."

This sort of mood and mentality will inhibit anyone from ever approaching another spiritual master with absolute faith and conviction. Because you've been burnt by a bogus guru does not make it right to see the world of Sri Gurus as abusive and prone to falldown.

Sri Guru and His Grace.

by

Srila B R> Sridhara Maharaja

Chapter Eleven

The Land

of

Gurus

In the Srimad-Bhagavatam (11.9.31) it is stated:

na hy ekasmad guror jnanam

su-sthiram syat su-puskalam

"One certainly cannot get complete knowledge from only one guru." In the highest stage of devotion, we must see not only one guru; we must see that guru is everywhere. In the land of Krsna, all are gurus; our transformation should be towards that. Everything in the spiritual world, the entire environment is our guru and we are servants. To enter into Vaikuntha, or Goloka, means that on all sides we must see guru and pay our respects. There is gradation of course, but all are guru .

There are different classes of guru. All Vaisnavas are considered gurus. If the spiritual master gives even one letter to the disciple, what is contained there is infinite. The knowledge given by the spiritual master is infinite. To know and understand it fully, however, different sources are necessary.

In the highest position one can read devotion to Krsna from everywhere. If we can attain the proper vision, then everything will supply me inspiration towards the performance of our duties. Whenever Mahaprabhu saw a forest, he saw it as Vrndavana. Whenever he saw a river, he saw the Yamuna. Whenever he saw a hill, he saw it as Govardhana hill. In that highest stage, wherever we cast our glance, it will remind us about our Lord. They will teach us, they will press us to engage ourselves in service to Krsna. That is the duty of guru. Wherever we cast our glance, whatever we come in contact with will only excite us "Do your duty." That is guru. Our guru is whoever gives us impetus for the service of Krsna, whoever helps us to look towards the center. So, because every atom in Vaikuntha and Goloka will encourage us towards our duty, they are all our gurus. Gurus will be very amply available when we can raise ourselves to a higher level.

Guru-Dispels Darkness

When we are in the lower stages of material conception, everything we see takes us away from the center by the out-carrying current. Whatever we see says "Oh, come and enjoy me." The invitation of enjoyment is found here in the lower level, and the inspiration of renunciation is also found in a particular stage. The impersonalists who desire salvation say "Whatever we find here is temporary. Reject it all!" But devotion is the positive side. From the side of devotion, everything will draw me towards the center, towards Krsna. And those who will help us in that way, are our gurus. Guru means "one who dispels the darkness of both enjoyment and renunciation . "

Krsna tells us not to particularize in one point (acaryam mam vijaniyan ). There are so many siksa gurus in the line, and it is our good fortune to see more gurus, to come to the stage where we see gurus everywhere. Everywhere we shall try to draw the hints of the auspicious presence of Godhead. Krsna says, "One who can see me everywhere, and everything in me is never lost to Me, nor I to him (yo mam pasyati sarvatra, sarvam ca mayi pasyati ). We shall try to see Him in every medium. Then our position is safe. Not to see guru is a dangerous position. But if we can see guru everywhere, advising us to concentrate our energy towards the service of God, then we'll be safe. Of course, there is also a specific vision of guru, from whom I can get the maximum immediate help. But ultimately, Krsna says, "I am the acarya, "See Me in him."

Jewel Within the Palm

Who is acarya ? One who knows how to give due respect to his own acarya. Baladeva Vidyabhusana has explained in one of his commentaries how both Rupa and Sanatana Goswami have shown Govinda to the world. He says that if one has a jewel in his hand, he can show the jewel in various ways by holding it differently. Rupa and Sanatana have each dealt in various ways with the jewel by the name of Govinda, who is always served by the Supreme Goddess of Fortune. They have both shown that high substance, Govinda, to the world just as a jewel within their palms.

So not only in the supreme goal of life, but in everything, our knowledge depends on more than one source. We mainly learn from one place, but this is verified and corroborated by many sources; then it comes to be proper knowledge. In the nyaya sastra, the codes of logic, the six processes of acquiring knowledge are mentioned: visaya, the thesis, samgaya, the antithesis, purva-paksa, cross-examination, mimamsa, synthesis, siddhanta, conclusion, and samgatih verification from different sources. After these six stages, something may come in the name of truth in this world. Any knowledge presupposes consultation with different sources, although mainly we can get it from one source. In the beginning we inquire about the truth, not from one, but from many sources. Then we concentrate to inquire from a particular higher source.

Our first connection with the truth comes from here and there in small quantities. First there is ajnata sukrti, unknown pious activities, then jnata-sukrti, pious activities performed in knowledge, then sraddha, faith, then sadhu sanga, the company with saints. In this way, we search for Sri Krsna. We inquire here and there. Many saints help us to a certain extent. Ultimately we go that spiritual master in whom we find the greatest possibility of learning the truth, and we surrender there.

Having accepted a spiritual master, one will find that his guru has so many disciples, and he will take from them also. His spiritual master will recommend some books for him. He will say, "Read Bhagavad-gita and Srimad-Bhagavatam." That will also help us to get so many gurus through the books, where we will find many references and quotations from many gurus.

All Are Guru

All of them have their contribution, and ultimately we must understand that we have to enter into the land of the gurus. Everyone should be respected as guru that gives impetus to me to search for Krsna, to serve Krsna. They will all help to carry me to the center. And this is the most fortunate position: to see everyone, everywhere as guru, to see that no one is our servant and no one is indifferent to us. That is our highest fortune: to attain that highest spiritual environment where everyone is our guru. Here, everyone is our servant; even our father and mother. We want to draw something from everyone in this world of exploitation. And by renunciation everything is eliminated; it is a deserted position. If we are to enter into the land of eternal prospect, then we must learn to see that all are our guru and we are servants.

That they are all gurus means they are all our well-wishing guardians. In that plane, we shall imbibe help from everywhere. Their benediction and their grace will come from everywhere. They are all well-wishers, all guardians, they all guide us towards the highest attainment of our fortune. There cannot be any objection to that.

But still there is gradation, just as in the very existence of God there is gradation: Vasudeva, Visnu, Narayana, Dvarakesa, Mathuresa, Svayam Bhagavan Krsna--there are so many levels. Gradation is always there, according to our inner position. So, we must not be afraid.

Of course there is a time, when we are surrounded by an unfavorable environrnent, that the association of a real saint is very rare. In that stage, we may be warned not to mix with the Mayavadis, Buddhists, Sankarites, Naga babas, and so many other groups of so-called sadhus, so that we may not run hither and thither only to find a guru to get any advice. To save us from such unfavorable circumstances, to protect us, we are warned, "Don't try to see guru everywhere." In a particular stage, however, when we already have a taste for the real truth, we are taken to that plane where everyone is our guru, helping us advance towards our destination.

This caution is valuable in the beginning, because there are so many cheaters who want to devour us. At that stage, especially, to help us proceed towards the goal, we must exclusively concentrate on our guru, avoiding the Buddhists, mayavadis, atheists, and all those who wear red rags in the name of sadhus.

Still, in every sampradaya, or religious tradition, that trick has been used: "Only listen here. Stick to the words of your guru, the advice of your guru. Don't try to mix hither and thither, to run here and there to get advice. So many teachers are the enemies of your guru. They are not preaching the real truth." That warning is necessary in some stage. "Don't try to see guru everywhere, because in this world, so many men in the dress of sadhus are going on with their lower campaign." This warning should come in that stage.

Hurled Down to Vaikuntha

And in the lower stage also, to keep up and to develop our attention and devotion towards our guru, so much help should come from our senior godbrothers. They will help us understand the greatness of our guru in different ways. They are also doing the work of siksa guru. But when we enter in the kingdom of service, then, of course, everyone will help us. It is also said that we may have an inner attraction towards Vrndavana, and our inner awakenment may be in the service of Krsna of Goloka, but if we mix with so many sadhus in Vaikuntha, then we will be hurled down to Vaikuntha.

In a certain stage, we should beware of bad association, so in Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu (1.2.91) Rupa Goswami has said, sajati-yasye snigdhe sadhau sangah svato vare : What sort of saintly persons shall we try to mix with earnestly? Those who are in our line, who have the same high spiritual aspirations as we do, and who hold a superior position. To associate with such saintly persons will help us the most to progress towards the ultimate goal.

There may be some obstacles, but if at heart we are sincere, the environment cannot deceive us, because God's inner help is there, cooperating with our sincere, inner need (na hi kalyana krt kascit durgatim tata gacchati ). What we want from our innermost hearts cannot but come true, because Krsna knows everything. There may be some obstacles, but by Krsna's help, they shall all be eliminated and our innermost aspiration will be crowned with success.

From Sri Caitanya Caritamrata Adi.1.46

By Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

acaryam mam vijaniyan

navamanyeta karhicit

na martya-buddhyasuyeta

sarva-deva-mayo guruh

One should know the acarya as Myself and never disrespect him in any way. One should not envy him, thinking him an ordinary man, for he is the representative of all the demigods.

PURPORT

This is a verse from Srimad-Bhagavatam (11.17.27) spoken by Lord Krsna when He was questioned by Uddhava regarding the four social and spiritual orders of society. The Lord was specifically instructing how a brahmacari should behave under the care of a spiritual master. A spiritual master is not an enjoyer of facilities offered by his disciples. He is like a parent. Without the attentive service of his parents, a child cannot grow to manhood; similarly, without the care of the spiritual master one cannot rise to the plane of transcendental service.

The spiritual master is also called acarya, or a transcendental professor of spiritual science. The Manu-samhita (2.140) explains the duties of an acarya, describing that a bona fide spiritual master accepts charge of disciples, teaches them the Vedic knowledge with all its intricacies, and gives them their second birth.

The ceremony performed to initiate a disciple into the study of spiritual science is called upaniti, or the function that brings one nearer to the spiritual master.

One who cannot be brought nearer to a spiritual master cannot have a sacred thread, and thus he is indicated to be a sudra. The sacred thread on the body of a brahmana, ksatriya or vaisya is a symbol of initiation by the spiritual master; it is worth nothing if worn merely to boast of high parentage.

The duty of the spiritual master is to initiate a disciple with the sacred thread ceremony, and after this samskara, or purificatory process, the spiritual master actually begins to teach the disciple about the Vedas.

A person born a sudra is not barred from such spiritual initiation, provided he is approved by the spiritual master, who is duly authorized to award a disciple the right to be a brahmana if he finds him perfectly qualified. In the Vayu Purana an acarya is defined as one who knows the import of all Vedic literature, explains the purpose of the Vedas, abides by their rules and regulations, and teaches his disciples to act in the same way.

Only out of His immense compassion does the Personality of Godhead reveal Himself as the spiritual master. Therefore in the dealings of an acarya there are no activities but those of transcendental loving service to the Lord. He is the Supreme Personality of Servitor Godhead. It is worthwhile to take shelter of such a steady devotee, who is called asraya-vigraha, or the manifestation or form of the Lord of whom one must take shelter.

If one poses himself as an acarya but does not have an attitude of servitorship to the Lord, he must be considered an offender, and this offensive attitude disqualifies him from being an acarya. The bona fide spiritual master always engages in unalloyed devotional service to the Supreme Personality of Godhead. By this test he is known to be a direct manifestation of the Lord and a genuine representative of Sri Nityananda Prabhu.

Such a spiritual master is known as acaryadeva. Influenced by an envious temperament and dissatisfied because of an attitude of sense gratification, mundaners criticize a real acarya. In fact, however, a bona fide acarya is nondifferent from the Personality of Godhead, and therefore to envy such an acarya is to envy the Personality of Godhead Himself. This will produce an effect subversive of transcendental realization.

As mentioned previously, a disciple should always respect the spiritual master as a manifestation of Sri Krsna, but at the same time one should always remember that a spiritual master is never authorized to imitate the transcendental pastimes of the Lord. False spiritual masters pose themselves as identical with Sri Krsna in every respect to exploit the sentiments of their disciples, but such impersonalists can only mislead their disciples, for their ultimate aim is to become one with the Lord. This is against the principles of the devotional cult.

The real Vedic philosophy is acintya-bhedabheda-tattva, which establishes everything to be simultaneously one with and different from the Personality of Godhead. Srila Raghunatha dasa Gosvami confirms that this is the real position of a bona fide spiritual master and says that one should always think of the spiritual master in terms of his intimate relationship with Mukunda (Sri Krsna).

Srila Jiva Gosvami, in his Bhakti-sandarbha (213), has clearly explained that a pure devotee's observation of the spiritual master and Lord Siva as being one with the Personality of Godhead exists in terms of their being very dear to the Lord, not identical with Him in all respects.

Following in the footsteps of Srila Raghunatha dasa Gosvami and Srila Jiva Gosvami, later acaryas like Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura have confirmed the same truths. In his prayers to the spiritual master, Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura confirms that all the revealed scriptures accept the spiritual master to be identical with the Personality of Godhead because he is a very dear and confidential servant of the Lord.

Gaudiya Vaisnavas therefore worship Srila Gurudeva (the spiritual master) in the light of his being the servitor of the Personality of Godhead. In all the ancient literatures of devotional service and in the more recent songs of Srila Narottama dasa Thakura, Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura and other unalloyed Vaisnavas, the spiritual master is always considered either one of the confidential associates of Srimati Radharani or a manifested representation of Srila Nityananda Prabhu.

""maybe if our system of checks and balances was emphasised just as much as the blind surrender to the guru, we would not have had all this past abuse of power and devotees by bogus gurus. and perhaps that would have saved from falldown some sincere devotees acting as gurus, who were essentially corrupted by their absolute power and lack of outside scrutiny."

This sort of mood and mentality will inhibit anyone from ever approaching another spiritual master with absolute faith and conviction. Because you've been burnt by a bogus guru does not make it right to see the world of Sri Gurus as abusive and prone to falldown."

---------------------------

Not true at all. the principle of guru, sadhu, shastra IS our standard - is it not? if so, than get off your high horse...

people dont START with "absolute faith" - faith grows and develops untill it BECOMES absolute. what you call "absolute faith" in novices is simply a misnomer.

I do NOT see the world of Sri-Gurus as abusive and prone to falldown. But I do not blindly accept someone as Sri Guru class of a spiritual master either, just because a group of people says so. See the difference?