IndiaDivine.org

What to do if one's enthusiasm is waning?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Prabhus,

I found the movement a couple of years ago and have been trying to chant regularly. The problem is that it was easier to chant the first year and now I have trouble getting my rounds in.

Please, if you have any encouragement, let me hear it...thank you!!!

We share this problem. The answer on the surface is very simple. You must associate with people that are enthusiastic and rightly motivated. By that I mean people can be enthusiastic for less then the proper reason. In such circles things like criticizing other devotional camps are engaged in and tolerated as a type of sport. That may not kill you enthusiasism for being in the group but it will kill your enthusiasim for devotional service. So be very selective in who you hear from.

My problem is similar but different also. I don't want to be enthusiastic in serviing Krsna so I avoid proper association even when I find it available. this is the position of the truly lost.

Krsna will guide you to the proper association if your desire is really for that. So primary to seeking proper association may be to see to it that you are desiring association for the proper reason. And for that we must pray that Krsna gives us a taste.

Guest guest

"I found the movement a couple of years ago and have been trying to chant regularly. The problem is that it was easier to chant the first year and now I have trouble getting my rounds in"

i think that you have the right to be initiated by a uttama vaishnava guru and to receive personal teachings to increase your advancement

we need to be helped... if we are left alone, if our advancement is not protected and qualified by the visible presence of a pure devotee in our life, it is not possible to last for a long time

pray krsna to send you a real spiritual master and start in this way the real devotional life

October 20, 1968, Seattle

Prabhupada: ...the whole atmosphere, you should come and disturb. You are making... You cannot understand? And the whole attention is diverted to you. So hara, hara is the form of the word... Hare is the form of the word hara when address, when She is addressed. And Krsna, when He's addressed, the form does not change. This is grammatical rule. So Hare Krsna means, "Oh, the energy of Krsna, or energy of the Lord," and Krsna, "the Lord." So Hare Krsna. Hare Krsna means I am praying not only to the Lord, but to the energy also. This is natural. Just like a man and woman. In whole world there is combination of male and female, either... Any society, human society, or bird society or dog society or animal society. Why this male and female? Why? Female is the energy, energy of the male. Why a man takes, marries a woman and takes responsibility...? Of course, in your country they marry as a matter of joke, immediately divorce after week or after seven days. But marriage means to take full responsibility of a woman. That is real marriage, Vedic marriage.

We, when I get married our boys and girls, the boy takes this vow that "I take responsibility of your maintenance throughout your whole life," and the girl promises that "I desire to serve you throughout my whole life." So the woman, the female, is the energy. When a man comes at home, he sees that everything is nicely decorated, my wife is well-dressed and foodstuff is nicely prepared, he becomes encouraged. He can work more nicely. Therefore woman is the energy. The woman gives the energy and he can work.

Wherefrom this idea came? The idea came because it is originally here, janmady asya yatah [sB 1.1.1]. Everything is coming from the Supreme; otherwise where do you get this idea? Sarvam khalv idam brahma. Without being in the origin? Bijo 'ham sarva-bhutanam [bg 7.10], Krsna says that "I am the root of everything." So if this energy, male and female combination, is a necessity, so wherefrom this necessity came into existence unless it is there in the origin?

Therefore it is to be understood that the Absolute has energy. He has got different energies. By His energies He is acting, and that is confirmed in the Vedic sutra, parasya saktir vividhaiva sruyate [Cc. Madhya 13.65, purport]. The Supreme Absolute Truth has multi-energies. Parasya saktir vividhaiva sruyate, multi-energies. And svabhaviki jnana-bala-kriya ca, and by His energies he's working in such a nice way that it appears that it is being automatically done.

Just like this tape recorder is working. How it is working? The electric energy is there. By the electric energy the machine is so nicely working that when it is replayed exactly I am speaking. So energy is working. I am speaking, my speaking energy is acting, electric energy is helping. This machine energy is accepting and a nice thing is coming. Similarly, the whole cosmic manifestation is the manifestation of the energies.

The rascals, they do not understand. And when it is stated that everything is Brahman, that is to be understood that everything is working under the energy of the Supreme Brahman. That is real meaning. But this is simultaneously one and different. When this tape recorder will play, it will play exactly I am speaking to you. There will be no difference of voice.

If somebody hears from other room, he'll understand that Swamiji's speaking, but still, that speaking is different from me. Because my energy is working there. Similarly, there are two kinds of energies. Just like when I am speaking, this is my real energy, and when this tape recorder will speak, that is also my energy, but that is separated energy. Similarly, this material manifestation is separated energy, and there is direct energy.

The direct... This material energy, separated energy, is the reflection of the direct energy. Just like when this tape recorder will be replayed it is the reflection of my original speech. Similarly, this material manifestation is a reflection of the original energy, internal energy.

Therefore in the Bhagavad-gita it is stated that perverted reflection. urdhva-mulam adhah-sakham [bg. 15.1], perverted, a tree. This cosmic manifestation is compared just like a tree with root upwards. That means perverted. Have you seen a tree upwards, root?

Jahnava: I've heard an analogy to that before.

Prabhupada: Yes. So this material world is perverted reflection of the original energy. So this "Hare" means we are directly approaching the original energy of the Supreme Lord. "Please accept me, under You. Now I am under reflection. I am trying to get substance from the reflection." Suppose a tree is reflected by the bank of a river, the exact. So if somebody dives into the river and tries to take fruit from that tree, it will not be possible because that is reflection. One has to go to the real tree. So we are hankering after life, we are hankering after pleasure, but we are seeking pleasure in the reflection, maya. Therefore we are frustrated, confused. Therefore this prayer is to the original energy. Without energy, without energy the Lord is not without energy. Radha-Krsna, Laksmi-Narayana, Sita-Rama. So God is always with energy. Without energy, he is incomplete. Sun without sunshine is incomplete. Is it possible? Can one think of sun without sunshine? Similarly, the Mayavada theory that the absolute is without energy, there is no energy, absolute is... They have misunderstood. The energy is not different from the energetic. Just like sunshine is not different from the sun, neither the sunshine has got any existence without the sun, nor the sun can exist without sunshine. They are so intimately related. Similarly, the Lord and the energies are so intimately related, they cannot be separated, but they are not one. This is the whole philosophy. So we are praying to the original energy, Hare Krsna. Because energy and the energetic, Radha-Krsna. Radha-Krsna, They are not separate, but it is pleasure. When They are separated, Radha and Krsna, that is energetic, that is giving impetus. Just like the man and the woman, they come from the same source, but one body is energetic to the other. Man is energy to the woman. Woman is the energy to the man. Why the creation is not one kind of? Why there is fair sex? They're coming from the same womb of the mother. Why not one, boy only? Why girl? Why nature has provided like that? Let simply boys come. No. It is required. But the whole thing is perverted reflection. Here the man, woman, the energy... It is simply... But by this, one can understand the reality. Just like the shadow, the five fingers. One person who is not misled, he can understand that the original palm has five fingers, although he cannot see it. From the shadow. Similarly, from this energy, work of the energy in this material perverted reflection, one can understand that there is a reality. In the reality, in the abode of Krsna, the same things are there, the same trees are there, the same things are there, but they are original, personal energy. And here, they are simply imitation or perverted reflection. Not imitation. The exact word is perverted reflection. The same example. Just like a tree on the bank of a river is reflected obverted, the root upwards and the branches downwards. So this world is like that, and that is described in the Fifteenth Chapter of Bhagavad-gita. So one has to learn all these things. Everything is there. (end)

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation -- October 20, 1968, Seattle

Like the tortoise in the Bhagavad-gita, withdraw your limbs into your shell, withdrawing your senses from their objects of enjoyment. Then all that is left for you is your soul, Krsna, and your devotion to Him. That is all there has ever been - and it will be so throughout all of eternity.

These three proud possessions comprise an ocean of unlimited happiness. Material experience can add but a drop to that ocean - in effect totally meaningless, not even perceivable. Losing a material thing - again another drop of water out of an inexhaustible ocean, meaningless. This is not simply a concept, but it is reality, which can be known as we continue to swim in the ocean of love.

But somehow we end up from time to time on the land and forget that ocean of happiness. Clumsy like a tortoise on land, we stumble in stupor. We need to withdraw our senses from sense objects and plunge back into the ocean where we are at home. The nine processes of devotional service will help to pull those limbs back into the shell. Somehow or other we have to turn again to Krsna and fall in love all over again.

Both theist and jndas have given good advice. If we find our enthusiasm waning, it's a sign that our devotional life is not healthy. It requires daily (even constant) attention. Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu compares it to a vine whose cultivation requires regular feeding and weeding.

In Sri Chaitanya-charitamrita, Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu explains the process by which those of us who don't have a taste for incessant, spontaneous devotion may cultivate it. Here's how He begins:

On the path of regulative devotional service, one must observe the following items: (1) One must accept a bona fide spiritual master. (2) One must accept initiation from him. (3) One must serve him. (4) One must receive instructions from the spiritual master and make inquiries in order to learn devotional service. (5) One must follow in the footsteps of the previous acaryas and follow the directions given by the spiritual master.

The essence here is that we require guidance from the expert spiritual master. So overcome the spirutal inertia you may experience with help from those who have it to offer. Find good association and hear--ardently--the Bhagavatam's message daily. Dont be passive; when you don't understand something, don't just let it go, but go after it. Read again, pray, ask questions of serious devotees in whom you have confidence.

Krishna consciousness is the most valuable thing, but it's only avaialble to those who really want it.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.2.49

While suffering at the time of death, Ajamila chanted the holy name of the Lord, and although the chanting was directed toward his son, he nevertheless returned home, back to Godhead. Therefore if one faithfully and inoffensively chants the holy name of the Lord, where is the doubt that he will return to Godhead?

Srila Prabhupada teaches us : " At the time of death one is certainly bewildered because his bodily functions are in disorder. At that time, even one who throughout his life has practiced chanting the holy name of the Lord may not be able to chant the Hare Krsna mantra very distinctly. Nevertheless, such a person receives all the benefits of chanting the holy name. While the body is fit therefore, why should we not chant the holy name of the Lord loudly and distinctly? If one does so, it is quite possible that even at the time of death he will be properly able to chant the holy name of the Lord with love and faith. In conclusion, one who chants the holy name of the Lord constantly is guaranteed to return home, back to Godhead, without a doubt.

Supplementary note to this chapter.

Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura's commentary to texts nine and ten of this chapter form a dialogue concerning how one can become free from all sinful reactions simply by chanting the holy name of the Lord.

Someone may say, "It may be accepted that by chanting the holy name of the Lord one becomes freed from all the reactions of sinful life. However, if one commits sinful acts in full consciousness, not only once but many, many times, he is unable to free himself from the reactions of such sins even after atoning for them for twelve years or more. How is it possible, then, that simply by once chanting the holy name of the Lord one immediately becomes freed from the reactions of such sins?"

Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura replies by quoting verses nine and ten of this chapter: "The chanting of the holy name of Lord Visnu is the best process of atonement for a thief of gold or other valuables, for a drunkard, for one who betrays a friend or relative, for one who kills a brahmana, or for one who indulges in sex with the wife of his guru or another superior. It is also the best method of atonement for one who murders women, the king or his father, for one who slaughters cows, and for all other sinful men. Simply by chanting the holy name of Lord Visnu, such sinful persons may attract the attention of the Supreme Lord, who therefore considers "Because this man has chanted My holy name, My duty is to give him protection.' "

One may atone for sinful life and vanquish all sinful reactions by chanting the holy name, although this is not called atonement. Ordinary atonement may temporarily protect a sinful person, but it does not completely cleanse his heart of the deep-rooted desire to commit sinful acts. Therefore atonement is not as powerful as the chanting of the holy name of the Lord. In the sastras it is said that if a person only once chants the holy name and completely surrenders unto the lotus feet of the Lord, the Lord immediately considers him His ward and is always inclined to give him protection. This is confirmed by Sridhara Svami. Thus when Ajamila was in great danger of being carried off by the order carriers of Yamaraja, the Lord immediately sent His personal order carriers to protect him, and because Ajamila was freed from all sinful reactions, the Visnudutas spoke on his behalf.

Ajamila had named his son Narayana, and because he loved the boy very much, he would call him again and again. Although he was calling for his son, the name itself was powerful because the name Narayana is not different from the Supreme Lord Narayana. When Ajamila named his son Narayana, all the reactions of his sinful life were neutralized, and as he continued calling his son and thus chanting the holy name of Narayana thousands of times, he was actually unconsciously advancing in Krsna consciousness.

One may argue, "Since he was constantly chanting the name of Narayana, how was it possible for him to be associating with a prostitute and thinking of wine?" By his sinful actions he was bringing suffering upon himself again and again, and therefore one may say that his ultimate chanting of Narayana was the cause of his being freed. However, his chanting would then have been a nama-aparadha. Namno balad yasya hi papa-buddhih: one who continues to act sinfully and tries to neutralize his sins by chanting the holy name of the Lord is a nama-aparadhi, an offender to the holy name. In response it may be said that Ajamila's chanting was inoffensive because he did not chant the name of Narayana with the purpose of counteracting his sins. He did not know that he was addicted to sinful actions, nor did he know that his chanting of the name of Narayana was neutralizing them. Thus he did not commit a nama-aparadha, and his repeated chanting of the holy name of Narayana while calling his son may be called pure chanting. Because of this pure chanting, Ajamila unconsciously accumulated the results of bhakti. Indeed, even his first utterance of the holy name was sufficient to nullify all the sinful reactions of his life. To cite a logical example, a fig tree does not immediately yield fruits, but in time the fruits are available. Similarly, Ajamila's devotional service grew little by little, and therefore although he committed very sinful acts, the reactions did not affect him. In the sastras it is said that if one chants the holy name of the Lord even once, the reactions of past, present or future sinful life do not affect him. To give another example, if one extracts the poison fangs of a serpent, this saves the serpent's future victims from poisonous effects, even if the serpent bites repeatedly. Similarly, if a devotee chants the holy name even once inoffensively, this protects him eternally. He need only wait for the results of the chanting to mature in due course of time."

Srila Prabhupada teaches us : "...the sastra says that simply try to make man Krsna conscious. That is required. Tasyaiva hetoh prayateta kovido [sB 1.5.18]. In other life, either high-grade life, low-grade life, there was no chance of becoming Krsna conscious. But the human life there is chance. Krsna conscious means, when we speak Krsna, God. So that is... There is the chance. So the sastra says, instead of endeavoring for other things, better you try to become Krsna conscious. That will solve all the problems..."

Ramesvara: He asked if you were, Srila Prabhupada, if you were familiar with another yoga society founded by one swami called Yogananda. He called it the Self-Realization Fellowship. And they have a practice to recruit wealthy men as their members. He simply asked if you knew of that.

Guest: Do you think that this hinders with their development?

Srila Prabhupada: No. Spirit soul is the same thing either in wealthy man or poor man. The spirit soul is not different. Therefore in the Bhagavad-gita it is said,

vidya-vinaya-sampanne / brahmane gavi hastini / suni caiva sva-pake ca / panditah sama-darsinah

[bg. 5.18]

If Yogananda thinks like that -- "Only rich man is able to practice yoga" -- that is wrong. A poor man can also practice yoga. Because yoga means connecting, linking up with the Supreme. So as spirit soul, everyone is fit to connect himself with the Supreme. That is the statement in the Bhagavatam. Sa vai pumsam paro dharmo yato bhaktir adhoksaje [sB 1.2.6]. That is first-class self-realization when one tries to connect himself with the Supreme. And the Supreme can be connected by anyone. That is also stated in the Bhagavad-gita, mam hi partha vyapasritya ye 'pi syuh papa-yonayah [bg. 9.32]. According to Vedic philosophy, one becomes poor on account of his sinful activities. So papa-yoni... So although he has taken birth in a degraded family or poor family, spiritually he is pure. Simply one has to revive his spiritual consciousness. And that cannot be checked by any material condition. Ahaituky apratihata. Spiritual self-realization cannot be checked by any material condition. So why? Rather, opulent condition is not favorable for practicing yoga. That is stated in the Bhagavad-gita, bhogaisvarya-prasaktanam tayapahrta-cetasam [bg. 2.44]. Those who are too much attached to material enjoyment, they cannot practice yoga.

Guest: The reason why I asked was because other spiritual masters such as Jesus and the Buddha have required first that people give all of their possession to the poor rather than give them to a community fund such as the Self-Realization Fellowship, the Society for Krsna Consciousness, or any other...

Srila Prabhupada: Yes, that is right, because after all... Why to the poor? We say... I do not know whether Jesus Christ, Lord Buddha, said, but generally people are inclined to give to the poor. That, suppose you have got some money. I go: "Sir, give us some contribution for spending for Krsna consciousness." He will not like very much. And if I go, ask some money, that "I am going to open some hospital for the poor suffering humanity," he will give immediately. Is it not the general tendency? If I say a moneyed man, "Please give me some money. I will spend it for Krsna," he will not give. (chuckles) But if I approach him that "I am going to open a charitable institution for the poor," he will give me. So these Jesus Christ and Lord Buddha has said like that just to try to this, make this man dispossess. But he will not be inclined to pay for Krsna; he will be inclined for the poor. The real purpose is to make him dispossess. Unless he is penniless, he will not take to God. So the real purpose is to make him dispossess. But he will not be inclined to pay his money for God. So let him pay to the poor, that's all. Otherwise, if anyone has got money, he should return it to God because it is God's money. Isavasyam idam sarvam yat kincit jagatyam jagat [iso mantra 1]. Find out this, Isopanisad. Everything belongs to God. That I was speaking, that we don't possess anything. This big ocean, is it our property? But we are claiming, "This portion of Pacific is mine." How it became yours? Did your father manufacture it? But we are claiming falsely, "This is mine. This is American portion, and this is Japanese portion. This is that portion and..." We do not possess it; we falsely claim it. This is our position. Actually it is the possession of God. God has created this land, this ocean, the sky, the air, the fire. You have not created. So how claim? We are claiming, "This space is our. You cannot fly your plane on this space." Do they not do like that? But how the space came to your possession? You have not created it. This is misunderstanding. I do not possess it; still, I claim, "It is my property." And there is fight. You are claiming something your property, I am claiming something as my property, but none of them belongs to you or me..."

Srila Prabhupada teaches us in his The Science of Self Realization :

Ms. Nixon: My first question is very basic. What is Krsna consciousness?

Srila Prabhupada: Krsna means God. We are all intimately connected with Him because He is our original father. But we have forgotten this connection. When we become interested in knowing, "What is my connection with God? What is the aim of life?" then we are called Krsna conscious.

Ms. Nixon: How does Krsna consciousness develop in the practitioner?

Srila Prabhupada: Krsna consciousness is already there in the core of everyone's heart. But because of our materially conditioned life, we have forgotten it. The process of chanting the Hare Krsna maha-mantra--Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare. Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare--revives the Krsna consciousness we already have....

This is explained in the Caitanya-caritamrta (Madhya 22. 107)

nitya-siddha krsna-prema 'sadhya' kabhu naya / sravanadi-suddha-citte karaye udaya

Krsna consciousness is dormant in everyone's heart, and when one comes in contact with devotees, it is awakened. Krsna consciousness is not artificial. Just as a young boy awakens his natural attraction for a young girl in her association, similarly, if one hears about Krsna in the association of devotees, he awakens his dormant Krsna consciousness...."

The following is an excerpt from " Room Conversation -- September 2, 1973, London "

Guest (1): (Bengali) Gandhiji, he was politician, he was actually not devotee, and he could not understand Bhagavad-gita. But how the name of Rama has come when he died? The name of Rama, Hare Rama, has come from his last word. How it has come. It is, it is...

Srila Prabhupada: Practice, practice. Raghupati raghava raja rama.

Guest (1): So that came at the last word.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes.

Guest (1): It is due to his pious or practice.

Srila Prabhupada: Practice. That will act, that will act, that will act.

Guest (1): So this was my question about how, he was not acting, but...,

Srila Prabhupada: No. He did not know. But because he was chanting raghupati raghava raja rama, that has given him this effect, yes. On account of chanting. But he really did not understand. Just like the same example, the Mohammedan. He said "ha rama." He wanted to speak "harama," but it become "ha rama." That is the... He did not know anything about Rama, but the name Rama is so powerful that although he said, "harama," it effected. Yes. But Gandhi may not know the purpose of Bhagavad-gita, but as he chanted "ha rama," that has been effective.

I think I blew it. I met some real nice devotees at the Seattle airport back in 1997 or 1998. I had read Bhagavad Gita before that but I had never actually met real devotees. They asked me if I wanted to join them and help distribute Prabhupada's books. I was at the airport with my brother and my father so I accepted the devotees books and gave them 20 dollars but I was too scared of what my brother and father would think if I went with the devotees. They would have thought I was getting into a cult or something. I have really enjoyed Prabhupada's books but I don't chant 16 rounds and don't see how I will ever be able to. I was hoping that reading the story of Prahlada Maharaja will be enough to relieve my past sinful reactions because I find reading much easier than chanting. I often wonder if I passed up a real opportunity to associate with good devotees. Oh, well I hope those nice devotees are doing well as they sure seemed to be true warriors for Krishna.

Guest guest

"On this path, there is no loss or diminution." You gave 20 dollars and you continue to serve according to your capacity with honesty. I offer you my humble respects.

Vaishnava Das then spoke; The Scriptures declare:

"O best of the Bhrgus, the holy name of Lord Krishna delivers the chanter."

These words mean that the Yavanas and everyone else can attain the supreme spiritual goal of life by chanting the holy name of Lord Krishna. In this way the Hindus and Yavanas may become equals.A human being who does not perform eternal pious deeds like chanting Lord Krishna's name is declared by the scriptures to be "dvi-.-pasu" (an animal pretending to be a human being). This is because such a person has no faith in the holy name of Lord Krishna.

Although such a person may have taken birth as a human being, he is not really human. In truth he is an animal.

The Mahabharata explains:

"O king, a person whose past pious deeds are small cannot have faith in Lord Govinda, the remnants of food offered to Him, His holy name, or His devotees."

Eternal pious deeds, which purify the soul, are called "great pious deeds". Temporary pious deeds, which are performed without spiritual faith, are called "small pious deeds." The remnants of food offered to Lord Krishna, Lord Krishna, Lord Krishna's holy name, and the pure Vaishnava - these four are spiritual. They reveal the spiritual truth.

Cudamani said (with a smile): What kind of talk is this?

This is just the Vaishnavas' fanatic dogma. How can rice, dal, and curry be spiritual? There is nothing that you will not claim.

Vaishnava dasa: Do what you like, but please do not criticise the Vaishnavas. That is my request. In a debate, only the various arguments should be considered. Why do you need to verbally attack the Vaishnavas? The remnants of foods offered to the Lord are beyond the touch of the material world. One should not eat foods that are not thus offered to the Lord, for eating the remnants of food offered to the Lord illumines the way to the spiritual world and drives away all that is foolish and material.

Therefore Sri Isopanisad (Mantra 1) explains:

"Everything animate or inanimate that is within the universe is controlled and owned by the Lord. One should therefore accept only those things necessary for himself, which are set aside as his quota, and one should not accept other things, knowing well to whom they belong."

Whatever exists in the material universe has a relationship with the potency of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. A person who sees that everything has a relationship with the Lord's potency will not attempt to enjoy the things of this external material world.

If a spiritually conscious soul accepts only what he must to maintain his material body in this world, and if he understands that everything is the Supreme Personality of Godhead's mercy, then he will not fall down.

That is the way a person eager to attain the spiritual world will act. Therefore the remnants of food offered to Lord Krishna are called 'maha-prasada' (great mercy). Still, you are not attracted to these spiritual things - that is your misfortune.

Jaiva Dharma Chapter Two

by

Srila Thakur Bhaktivinoda

Today is his Dissapearance Day

All Glories to our most worshipable param-param Gurudeva!