IndiaDivine.org

Srila Bhaktivinoda's Svalikhita-jivani:"Whatever I am able to remember I have written

Rate this topic

krsna

Introduction

It was in response to a request by his son, Lalita Prasada, for more information about his life, that Sri Kedarnath Datta Bhaktivinoda wrote Svalikhita-jivani. Over 200 pages long, this short autobiographical account offers a very human, heart-warming account of the trials and triumphs of Bhaktivinoda's remarkable life story.

Bhaktivinoda begins Svalikhita-jivani by addressing his son,

"You have asked me for the details of my life. Whatever I am able to remember I have written down on paper for you. Please see that you do not misuse this story."

Completed on June 21, 1896 at the age of 58, Bhaktivinoda concludes,

"O Lalita Prasada, whatever I can recollect up to my retirement I have written in this letter. You will know everything that happens from now on."

The translation can be credited largely to Sanskrit scholar, Shukavak N. Dasa. According to him, there is little doubt that this is the original version of Svalikhita-jivani.

"I originally received the Svalikhita-jivani through a friend and subsequently found a published edition in the London India Office Library. Since the Svalikhita-jivani would have a critical bearing on how Bhaktivinoda's developing life was interpreted, I traveled to West Bengal to authenticate the text. To my delight I found the original handwritten manuscript in the possession of one elderly lady, Bhakta Ma.

"She allowed me to photograph the handwritten text. To determine authenticity, I compared its handwriting with handwriting from other manuscripts by Bhaktivinoda. I also compared the printed edition with the original handwritten manuscript. I am convinced that the printed edition is a true rendering of the original text and has not been adhered or corrupted by the editor, Lalita Prasad Datta."

[From the Introduction, Hindu Encounter with Modernity, Sanskrit Religions Institute, 1999.]

Note to first Bengali Edition

"I have published this volume of Svalikhita Jivani, which was written by my father, for the sake of those who are favourable and who are very close to him. My honourable father ordered me not to misuse whatever was written to me by him. Such was his instruction to me. That is the reason that I cannot give this book to ordinary persons. Only one who has complete love and faith in my father can read this work. If anyone reads this volume and makes his own commentary that is against my father then he alone is responsible, not I."

Sri Lalita Prasad Thakur

181 Manikatal Street

Bhakti Bhavan

Calcutta, India

Read the whole book HERE

/images/graemlins/cool.gif