Letters from Prisoners : Doing Time for Krsna

Rate this topic

krsna

April–June 2005

From Shyama Priya Devi Dasi

Posted July 12, 2005

All glories to

Srila Prabhupada!

I was told to write you because you could help me grow and understand the Gita. I found this book in the cell back in April, 05. Well at first I thought it was just a book to read and so I started reading it that same night. Well it became clear to me that this book was like a Bible of some kind.

It touched my heart in many ways, and I’ve been reading this book every day from front to back. I don’t have the funds to pay for a new book or get a hardback Deluxe Gita that you all sell. I was told to ask you for a hardback Gita because the one I have has fallen apart on me from all the use it is getting from me.

I have come to find peace thru reading the Gita and I’m still trying to understand how to chant (Hare Krsna) Can you tell me how this is done? I do have some beads that were given to me by the Chaplain who told me that these came from a guy that went home about 2 years ago.

—Joseph S., Laurinburg, NC

I received the tapes you sent and I am now listening to them constantly. I really enjoy the Radha Krsna Temple tape. The music is just so amazing. My cellie even listens to it. I can put on the headphones and prison drifts away as I am washed away by Krsna’s Transcendental Bliss. I truly am blessed by Lord Krsna. I do thank you and everyone who made the donation possible."

—Bhakta Charles, Jarratt, Virginia

Thank you for writing me, I was very happy to hear back from you. Your letter is a big help to me, and because of it I am now able to chant Hare Krsna three times a day. I was also happy to see that you sent me a booklist of free books that I can ask for. This is very good of you all to give out free books to people in prison. I want to thank you again, because I feel so much better after chanting!

—Bhakta Tommy, Laurinburg, NC

For eight years I was in the dark, till I finally wrote the ISKCON Prison Ministry in Ohio attn. Candrasekhara dasa. He sent me some books and I started reading many new things I never heard about. I had never heard of Krsna, only meditation and yoga.

—Bhakta Rene, Florence AZ

I’m very thankful for the books and tapes. I had to give my first Bhagavad-gita to a Godbrother who is now converted to Krsna Consciousness and love of Godhead, so I did the right thing by giving. The beads also, I thank you for them. I gave my other beads to my Godbrother. The time is right to preach to the lost souls anywhere on earth, but in this prison it is a must. So far I have changed two Godbrothers to the Absolute Truth, Krsna, with one more seeking the way and reading Srila Prabhupada’s books very nicely.

—Bhakta Richard, Reidsville GA

Thank You. I received all the books. Thank you. The Nectar of Devotion has been read since it entered this cell. The book I read every night before sleep is the Traveling Preacher. That is a very inspirational book I think every devotee should read.

—Bhakta Ricardo O., Soledad CA

Hare Krsna! Thank you very much for the five books you sent me to the former facility, which have been forwarded. I donated the Science of Self Realization to the library because I had one. The new books are wonderful. I read Bhakti, the Art of Eternal Love in one sitting in the yard under the sun. It is the summary of the Nectar of Devotion, which I need to practice more. This morning I read Spiritual Yoga. It is part of the Srimad Bhagavatam Fifth Canto about the importance of human life in spiritual practice, which I need more.

—Bhakta Mark B., Canon City CO

Thanks and appreciation from dipika.org to our sponsor and host,

I have been praying and chanting for three years now. My room is filled with a lot of pictures. I have a small altar where I have Radha-Krsna in a paper photo frame with a cup of water and offered fruit, a orange and apple, in front of the picture.

—Bhakta Rene L., Florence AZ

Once again I must thank you for your kindness in sending me the Bhagavad-gita. What a true blessing it is to be able to read the real deal!

—Bhakta William M., Rosharon TX

Thank you for sending the videos and the Bhagavatams. I really enjoyed Your Ever Well- Wisher. Watching how Prabhupada interacted with the devotees showed me his genuine sense of compassion. Coming back after seeing one of the videos I felt, as you once wrote, that my "Krsna battery" had been recharged.

—Bhakta Jeff W., Monticello FL

After preaching at Tihar Prison…

" If you give me chance to speak to all the members of the Jail, it is quite possible for me to turn them into ideal characters." [srila Prabhupada from letter to Sri Puri 1962]

Would you like to help?

Financial donations pay for

Postage for 400 Back to Godhead magazines

Hundreds of Krsna conscious books mailed out each month

Postage for our regular Newsletter

Other donations accepted include but are not limited to

Books

Tulasi neck beads and japa beads

Music and lecture tapes

Music and lecture CDs

Devotional videos and DVDs

Contact us for more information. Become part of a wonderful preaching program. Help finance this worthy cause or become personally involved.

ISKCON Prison Ministry

Shyama Priya devi dasi

PO Box 261

Alpine, CA 91901

619-659-0108

shyamapriya@aol.com

Please make checks payable to

Marguerite Hull c/o ISKCON Prison Ministry

or

Candrasekhara das, IPM

2802 10th Ave. S

Nashville, TN 37204-2514

© dipika.org July 12, 2005

Guest guest

we do the crime unprepared to face the consequences Krsna sees and hears everything so we can wake up now to the Absolute truth in Krsna consciousness by not being crimminals and live and tell others not to follow us in crime rather in doing our time here in the material world as peaceful as possible helping His Grace Prabhupada help others by example in spiritual life of Hare Krsna Hare Rama