IndiaDivine.org

Why can't Srila Prabhupada's books create a frenzy like the Harry Potter series?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I think maybe because of Media [Television]. They can make Big Movies and sell more books, merchandise etc. Make Rides in Theme Parks. The thing is, you could do this with Srila Prabhupada Books as well [and they do] but the mass of people don't know about this. Or they do BUT choose to ignore it. Why? Because of sense gratification and lower consciousness [link there somewhere]. Watching DVD of Prabupada.. Says that in sense gratification there is only misery but in chanting names there is none. It's true.

Guest guest

HP books are written for a specific audience. SP books are written for specific audience. Audience of HP books is bigger in this world.

BTW it is hard to read SP books, and it is easy (not for me) read HP books.

It would be nice if someone preached to the Author and the next HP book would be titled "HP and the Blue Prince of Vraja!" That would work better then just putting her down.

Guest guest

Maybe we just need a new movie series with CGI graphics and John Williams doing the soundtrack, and a Mahabharat video game and pen and paper RPG ...

... or not!

Bach's Baroques have a sustained following of people who find pleasure in wonderful music. But at any one time it's characters like Michael Jackson that get the huge followings although it's short lived because there is no sustainable taste, they must move on to some other pop 'idol'.

Even if Krsna conscious subject matter is irregularly composed devotees will find pleasure there.

To this day I find mundane books easier reading then Prabhupada's books. Just like watching a movie we are trained to just let the illusion take over and try to enjoy the ride.

Prabhupada's books to be fully appreciate require a fundemental change of heart and realization to get to the next level.

SB 1.1.2: Completely rejecting all religious activities which are materially motivated, this Bhagavata Purana propounds the highest truth, which is understandable by those devotees who are fully pure in heart. The highest truth is reality distinguished from illusion for the welfare of all. Such truth uproots the threefold miseries. This beautiful Bhagavatam, compiled by the great sage Vyasadeva [in his maturity], is sufficient in itself for God realization. What is the need of any other scripture? As soon as one attentively and submissively hears the message of Bhagavatam, by this culture of knowledge the Supreme Lord is established within his heart.

SB 1.1.3: O expert and thoughtful men, relish Srimad-Bhagavatam, the mature fruit of the desire tree of Vedic literatures. It emanated from the lips of Sri Sukadeva Gosvami. Therefore this fruit has become even more tasteful, although its nectarean juice was already relishable for all, including liberated souls.

So Prabhupada's books are already far more relishable then Rowlings imaginative children's stories, but by those who hear them properly.

Most of us have alot of heart cleaning to do first before we can hear them correctly and fully.

Guest guest

"understandable by those devotees who are fully pure in heart."

Still looking....

So why not have CGI effects movies, would it be better then spending money on FATE expo?

It does not mean one should not read Prabhupadas books. (or listen to Apple records...)

Guest guest

Just to make sure there are 2 guests.

>Maybe we just need a new movie series with CGI graphics and John Williams doing the soundtrack, and a Mahabharat video game and pen and paper RPG ...

... or not!>

That was someone else///

Guest guest

no one seems to notice that harry potter is fiction where as Srila Prabhupada's books deal with facts spiritual or other wise and simply put people would rather be in illusion if even for a lifetime it is more desirable than living reality in the moment

Guest guest

If some1 sells plastic, so many people flock 2 buy it. If sum1 sells diamonds few will go 2 purchase. Yet the value of diamond remains superior 2 that of plastic.

That 94% of the Vedas deal with karma kanda does not make the minority percent that deals with Bhakti any inferior.

In Kali yuga...manda sumand matayor....people r short lived, misguided and unintelligent....always disturbed. Hence there choices r inferior.

There was once a lady who was ill.....her maid was also ill. When the doctor came....he diagnosed the maid with higher fever.....the lady was upset that her maid had higher fever...Srila Prabhupada told this story

So we should not b disturbed that the karmis have higher fever for sense gratification and illusory existence.

Guest guest

"So we should not b disturbed that the karmis have higher fever for sense gratification and illusory existence."

I'm sure we should. Or should we not preach to them at all?

Guest guest

I wonder if you would accept the following statement by a very senior ISKCON devotee on the topic as satisfactory. I quote him almost verbatim:

"One should not attempt to surpass the previous acarya. Rather, one must have full confidence in the previous acarya, yet at the same time he must realize his mission and mood so nicely that he can present his teachings for the particular circumstances, coutry, culture and nation in a suitable manner. However, the acarya's original purpose and mood must be maintained. One should not try to extract obscure meanings from his words and deeds, yet his teachings should be presented in an interesting and appropriate manner for the understanding of the particular audience, time or country. This is called realization".

What do you think about this?

Guest guest

Im an old deadhead, so bear with me on this one. The grateful dead did not sell albums, never had a hit single (Casey jones came close), no platinum albums. The GD was an experiance. And when everything was said and done, GD was only behind the beatles for total popularity as well as how much the band was actually worth. The year Jerry Garcia passed away (maybe even to Krsna, for all the assistance and devotional service to Srila Prabhupada he was lucky to perform), the GD made $56,000,000. Michael Jackson was second with his popular thriller tour.

You had to experiance the dead.

Srila Prabhupada and his books are to be experianced. No one "experiances the nonsense of hARRY potter, they just read the pablum for dream like adventure, then they are empty, waiting for the movie or the next book. I dont know of anyone who has made the subject of HP books as a lifestyle and a goal of life.

Nor does JD Rowland arrive at airports to the clamor that Srila Prabhupada recieved. No one recognized Rowland as their link to the perfection of life.

Sorry if some think im comparing Srila Prabhupada to the dead, but the idea of experiancing was made, and I remained a deadhead even while I was a live-in devotee. After all, jerry was the dark star and the morning dew, the alligator who had unbelievable licks. Even on the pedal steel, with the first edition of New Riders of the Purple Sage, his riffs on "dirty business" are truely superb.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

PS I was an early deadhead, 1966-70, and one of the last shows I seen was The Dead, the Airplane, and their offshoots, Hot Tuna and New Riders of the Purple Sage. Now that was a shew - a really good shew.

Guest guest

but once again mudmon, you are incorrect. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

The Grateful Dead produced and sold over 20 record albums with Warner Brothers Records. Aoxamaxoa was the first. Then Live Dead, American Beauty, Workingman's Dead.......

They were the first band to go digital in the '70s, two decades before anyone else.

I agree that the albums did not reflect the experience, you had to be at a show. "The honey is in the taste".

Jerry died in the summer of '95. I was in Beserkeley, and his funeral in Golden Gate Park coincided with Ratha Yatra.

They are still touring, have changed their name to the Dead, and played at the Gorge last summer.

Their Mantra Rock Dance for Srila Prabhupada generated the money to open up the San Francisco Temple, and Srila Prabhupada called them "very good boys" because of this act of devotional service.

I can't count the number of shows I've been to (if you can remember the 60s, ya wern't there /images/graemlins/laugh.gif ). I've got a great shot of Ann Coulter in the Berlin Subway on the way to the Europe 1990 show....

Guest guest

That is the problem. Whole bunch of devotees is stuck in 60s with "very good boys". We just have to wait for all the flowers to make some fruits. Still waiting for that....

I'm sure Srila Prabhupada and his books will be remembered long after Harry Potter fades out of human culture.

Harry Potter books are essentially gratification of the mind. SP books are the purification of the mind by tapasya (austerity). Very few people are eager to perform austerities - even those who aspire to be devotees.

Guest guest

The grateful dead and anthem of the sun were classics. Aoxomoxoa, their third album, featured the artwork of rick griffin (for ol surfer bums, the creator of Murphy the cartoon). Griffin was (or is) a great artist, his best was the quicksilver albums after dino valenti got out of jail (just for love, what about me).

Now cippolina, theres a guitarist. He chanted with us on the north shore in 1972 when he was in town with copperhead (for the crater festival.)

Sorry, off the subject, but what is the subject. Id rather talk ol tunes than harry potter nonsense.

mahaksadasa

I remember all of em(60s), but thats just because I got photographic memorey (sometimes i forget the film=;-)