IndiaDivine.org

Thirumanjanam [Abishegam] to Saligramam by Female - Ur thoughts?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Ladies should not do thirumanjanam to Saligramam. As per the vedas the ladies should not touch saligramam. Daily some gents need to do thirumanjanam otherwise they need to keep that in Rice.

- SriRamKrishna

Guest guest

Jai sreemannarayana,

These are few of the lines from www.salagram.net. Its in the temple goers guide.

::::Mukthi is assured without doubt in those places where SALagrAma DwArakA shilA coexist (ie.Bhagavad

ThiruArAdhanam leads a devotee to perform prapatti and makes him lead a life of true prapannA ). The greatness

of sALagrAmA is that, Sriman NArAyanA has Himself chosen ( svayam vyaktA) to incarnate in that form ie. it is

not consecrated or installed by others.SALagrAmA can thus be straightaway worshipped without any special

consecration.

""Eventhough the sALagrAma ArAdhanA is performed by the male members of the three varnAs , ladies too have important role

in that kainkaryam. They can make nice arrangements in terms of preparing food, gathering & making fragrant flower garlands ,

etc.Thus they too derive the same benifits out of the ArAdhanam. The entire family should assemble together for the

'SAtrumurai', the concluding session of ArAdhanam .

The important aspect in any kainkaryam is that, it is performed purely for the pleasure of Sriman NArAyanA . SAstrAs also

clearly specify the type of kainkaryam one has to perform , according to ones varnA & AshramA. So , one has to just take up the

kainkaryam assigned to him/her & perform that with devotion. This is the spirit behind the kainkaryam & thus one shouldn't

entertain questions like "Why can't I do this ?" , "Why should they only do that ? " etc. ::::

However, My aunt( my father's sister) performs thirumanjanam for the saligramams.May be its because my uncle could not do it any more.

Guest guest

Yes, indeed.

Ladies can bathe the salagrama, but they may not bathe the salagrama on all the days of the month

Sri Pusta Krishna das:

<blockquote>

There is another extreme story you may have heard. There was one hunter that used to weigh the meat that he sold on a scale. One of the counter-balance weights that the hunter used was a Salagram-sila (a form of Narayan). One day, a brahman strictly following the rules and regulations (vaidhi marga) noticed and chastised the hunter for this and requested that he, the brahmana, instead worship the Salagram-sila with proper application of the rules and regulations for that worship. The brahman did so but Lord Narayan in that form was unhappy. He came to the brahman in a dream and expressed that the hunter was a great devotee of Lord Narayan, and the Lord in His Salagram-sila Form was very happy swinging on the scale of the hunter, His devotee. Due to this dream, the brahman returned the Salagram-sila to the hunter realizing his mistake.

</blockquote>

Actually, when Srila Sridhar Maharaj told me this story which he said is from the Mahabharata, he said that th person who was selling the meat was a butcher, rather than a hunter. Anyway, if a butcher with blood on his hands can smear the salagrama with wet blood and Lord Salagrama Narayana simply loves the butcher because he appreciates the fact that the hunter/butcher has some liking for him in his form of this particular stone (salagrama), then surely a lady can perform abhisek of the salagram and receive the blessings of Naaraayana.

Guest guest

He came to the brahman in a dream and expressed that the hunter was a great devotee of Lord Narayan, and the Lord in His Salagram-sila Form was very happy swinging on the scale of the hunter, His devotee. Due to this dream, the brahman returned the Salagram-sila to the hunter realizing his mistake.

To be honest this story is a bit of a bluff. /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

If the "brahmana" was not a devotee, why would he have and TRUSTED the dream of Lord Narayan. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I think its just an illustration of a different story, of GM using salagram silas to crack open nuts. Or the brahmana was too lasy to worship his Sila and gave it back... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif <font color="red">... </font color>

Guest guest

Hare Krishna.

I worship sudarshana saligrama sila at home. We offer food daily and do arati when offering. We also recite saligrama stotra. Do we need to chant other mantras ?

Like Purusa Sukta when bathing saligrama..........(which we also do)

Guest guest

Jai Sreemannarayana,

I confirmed it from my father. He says you should chant all the panchasuktas during Thirumanjanam ie Purusha suktam, Narayana suktam etc...

Guest guest

Hi friend,

It is not mean that the brahman is not a devotee. Without become a devotee he can't become a brahman. The actual theme of the story is GOD is looking the Bhakthi and not the Aacharam,Anustanam. For the Begineers they need to follow, but when you reach the stage of Bhakthi you dont' want to follow. See a monther can feed a milk to the child at any point of time, for that she don't want to take bath etc why? she is having Prema(Love) on her child. Like that when you start loving the GOD then you don't want to follow the Aacharam and Anustanam. Why the ancesters/Guru said these story is ,GOD sees the love not the rules. As per the above story the braham is following the Aacharam and Anustanam but the hunter is loving the GOD. GOD loves LOVE than Aacharam and Anustanam.

Hope now you understood the clear theme of the story.

Narayana Narayan.

SriRam.

Guest guest

You say, "I think its just an illustration of a different story, of GM using salagram silas to crack open nuts."

Well, GM don't use salagram silas to crack open nuts. They know better. Neither was this example ever used by SP. That's a different story, again. He spoke about godbrothers "just ringing bell, take prasadam, and sleep", as a parody of their unwillingness to go abroad and preach.

Guest guest

Here's the story of the brahmana cracking nuts with a salagram sila. Even though it's slightly (?) off-topic, I thought I should place it nonetheless.

Cracking Nuts with a Salagrama

A landlord once appointed a professional priest for regular offerings to his family Salagrama. The landlord used to arrange for the daily offering of some chestnuts for the satisfaction of Sri Narayana.

The priest accordingly used to take the chestnuts inside the Deity room and close the door as if he were going to offer them to the Deity. In fact the priest would use the Salagram as an ordinary stone, convenient for cracking the chestnuts. After cracking them with the Salagrama and keeping them on the sandalwood stone, he ate many of them even before offering.

In course of time, his mischief came to light and the landlord then threw him out by the neck.

PURPORT

Those who desire for some sense gratification with self-interest or for liberation without devotional service, or for women, wealth and prestige, usually take recourse to such habits as cracking the nuts with a Salagrama.

One who plans to earn money and fame by performance of Gita and Bhagavatam lectures relating to religion, through publication and compilation of religious treatises, organising congregational sankirtana or offering esoteric mantras simply for his own sense gratification, may very well be indicated as one who makes an attempt to crack nuts with a Salagrama.

In fact, all professional narrators of scriptural and mythological anecdotes, and businessman-like glorifiers of the Lord are trying to crack nuts with a Salagrama, which means that they are using everything offered to the Lord simply for their own sense gratification.

There are persons who pretend to be living in association with devotees in a math, but are simply looking for facilities for their own self-interest and actually make personal use of the society of devotees instead of offering services to such society, and enjoy Lord Sri Krsna's property without the slightest interest in offering services for the satisfaction of the Lord.

These so-called devotees are similar to the professional priests who try to crack nuts with a Salagrama, and they practise devotional services that are not considered sincere or honest. It is thus said that any prayer to the Lord for religion, wealth peace or liberation is tantamount to cracking a nut with a Salagrama.

http://www.hknet.org.nz/Newsletter156.html