IndiaDivine.org

Bhadharvo Month - Pitru Fasting

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Haribol!

Can someone tell me about fasting during the Bhadharvo month? I was told to fast for "Rishi Panchami" (which was on Sept 8) and I also need to fast for "Dhruv Aatham" (which is this Sunday 11 Sept).

Are we supposed to water a Tulsi plant for the whole of the month, or just the first half?

I have Googled, found some information on "Rishi Panchami", but could not find anything on "Dhruv Aatham'.

I wish if there was a book with all this information in it. Although I do realise that some of these fasts differ by state.

Jai SiyaRam!

Dee

HI fromm what im aware The fortnight before Navrathri is CAlled 'Pitru Paksha' (paksha= fortinght of the Pitrus=ancestors). So in Eastern indian calendars such as in Gaudiya vaishvavism this is the is first half of the month of Ashwin and in other parts such as Gujerat this is The second half of Bhadra month ( ts exactly the same fortnight its just that, the naming of the month varries across india.

Anyway from waht i am awar this fortnight is a time to comerate and make offerings to our ancestors. So people normaly hold shrada, tarpana and other ceromomies as well as worshiping Vishnu.