IndiaDivine.org

Is chanting(kirtan & bhajan) necessary?, Wouldn't remembrance(smaranam) do?

Rate this topic

krsna

No offense, but I find chanting monotonous. And I am not the singing or dancing type either. I really don't know why, but I just don't find any joy in bajans, kirtans, chanting and all.

It is not that I lack Bhakti, but I am not the sentimental type. Instead of pretending, would it be better for me to abandon these and simply remember the truth that Krishna is the doer of works, Yogeswara, and I am the instrument?

Every time you do something, whether trivial or significant, you remind yourself that 'you' are doing nothing, it is the prakriti acting according to Krishna's will.

Doing so, I believe, might put your ahankar in its place, as well as appreciate who's actually in charge and develop humility thereby. Besides, one doesn't incur karma by remembering Krishna as the doer, if I am not mistaken.

I cannot quote exactly, but Krishna talks about all this somewhere in the gita, that one should always remember him above the gunas and act. Then one will not incur karma and such actions are liberating to the soul.

That's why I am wondering whether bhakti sadhana permits one to forego chanting and instead focus on remembrance. Or, is this karma yoga?

Arjuna wasn't chanting and dancing, was he? But he too was a Bhakta because he practiced smarana. I'd add reading and hearing to this, plus a little bit of chanting at least.

can't do without chanting.

"harer nama harer nama harer namaiva kevalam kalau nasty eva nasty eva nasty eva gatir anyatha"

Please note 'eva gatir anyatha' ... there is 'no other alternative'. In this age of Kali, chanting is the only means to deliverance. For emphasis, 3 times it is said, harer nama harer nama.