IndiaDivine.org

Madhva's pastimes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

where can I find Madhva's pastimes on the net? I am sick of getting a zillion entries for not-so-special acharyas like Sankara and other mayavadis, whereas Madhva and Dvaiti acharyas like Jaya Thirta, Raghavendra are not to be found on the net. It is ridiculous. Without these great men, we'd be mayavadis or sunyavadis by now, and yet we find next to nothing on them.

Why can't Gaudiyas/Iskconites contribute to this? After all, all their tattva is based on Dvaita, they owe their very existence to Dvaitins. If not for tattva-vada, there would be no GV. Keep that in mind.

Pastimes?

The Merriam webster dictionary which can be found onlinteat http://www.m-w.org defines the word pastimes as

Function: noun

: something that amuses and serves to make time pass

agreeably : DIVERSION

Madhva had a serious agenda and plenty of work to do during his lifetime. He was a prolific writer, thinker and the head of a Matha. He had a new system to define, establish and propogate. He definitely had no time to "pass" and therefore no pastimes. So little wonder that you do not find a record of his pastimes anywhere.

Cheers

Shankara and "other Mayavadins" were equally busy & had no time to kill either. So I wonder which web page you found that given an account of Shankara's "pastimes". Please share it with the rest of the world for their benefit. Thank you very much.

Up until now, I was not aware of anyone who took an interest in how Shankara, Madhva et.al., killed their spare time. You are the first.

Cheers

"Pastime" is the word Srila Prabhupada chose to use for the sanskrit work "lila", which means divine sport or play. It seems to fit with this common definition:

pas·time (păs'tīm')

n.

An activity that occupies one's spare time pleasantly: Sailing is her favorite pastime.

Putting philosophical sanskrit words into English is never easy. But Shvu understands that and gives the Swamijis the benefit of the doubt when ever he can, isn't that so?

Some people believe lila refers only to the Lord's activities. Others consider the activities of the acharya's to also be lila. That was probably the mood this thread was written in.