IndiaDivine.org

More than two arms

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hare Krishna

I am a neophyte in KC and recently i was asked by someone as to why some of the pictures of Krishna or Vishnu have more than two arms.. but i couldn´t explain it as i have never questioned it myself..

any information would be great!

Haribol

I dont know exact philosophical reason but feeling is that he has more than 2 arms in his Narayana form for example because he wants to. Its kind of like sayin, why does Krsna have a flute instead of guitar?

I have not meant to cause any offence - im jus tryin to make clearer for myself too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hare Krishna

First God is unlimited ao its not right to limit him with four hands. When God showers his omnipresence form to Arjuna, he means that he is everything. But still I will answer your question.

He is to be depicted as a four-armed male-form: The four arms indicate his all-powerful and all-pervasive nature. The physical existence of Vishnu is represented by the two arms in the front while the two arms at the back represent his presence in the spiritual world. The Upanishad titled Gopal Uttartapani describes the four arms of Vishnu.

The color of his skin has to be new-cloud-like-blue: The blue color indicates his all-pervasive nature, blue being the color of the infinite sky as well as the infinite ocean on which he resides.

He has the mark of sage Bhrigu's feet on his chest.

Also on his chest is the srivatsa mark, symbolising his consort Lakshmi.

Around his neck, He wears the auspicious "Kaustubha" jewel, and a garland of flowers.

A crown should adorn his head: The crown symbolozes his supreme authority.

He is to shown wearing two earrings: The earrings represent inherent opposites in creation - knowledge and ignorance; happiness and unhappiness; pleasure and pain.

First God is unlimited ao its not right to limit him with four hands. When God showers his omnipresence form to Arjuna, he means that he is everything. But still I will answer your question.

He is to be depicted as a four-armed male-form: The four arms indicate his all-powerful and all-pervasive nature. The physical existence of Vishnu is represented by the two arms in the front while the two arms at the back represent his presence in the spiritual world. The Upanishad titled Gopal Uttartapani describes the four arms of Vishnu.

The color of his skin has to be new-cloud-like-blue: The blue color indicates his all-pervasive nature, blue being the color of the infinite sky as well as the infinite ocean on which he resides.

He has the mark of sage Bhrigu's feet on his chest.

Also on his chest is the srivatsa mark, symbolising his consort Lakshmi.

Around his neck, He wears the auspicious "Kaustubha" jewel, and a garland of flowers.

A crown should adorn his head: The crown symbolozes his supreme authority.

He is to shown wearing two earrings: The earrings represent inherent opposites in creation - knowledge and ignorance; happiness and unhappiness; pleasure and pain.

Srikumar