IndiaDivine.org

What is your Occupation?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Aboard the USS Bhakti I have sailed up and down the planetary systems for nearly twenty-three eons now. Given fair weather and the wind at my back, I intend to finally put into port at the lotus feet of Sri Krsna sometime very soon.

Nectar of Instruction informs us that a valid way for devotee to relate to another devotee is to confidentially express oneself. This includes "whattaya do". We get to know each other better that way, know how to speak to each other. . also me3ans frank discussions, so, there.

I am a medically retired employee of the US Dept of Navy, who did extensive work aboard Trident Submarines. My job was not to throw these missiles at others, but to keep them from corroding so they dont blow up in our own back yards (you're welcome). But I fought thru federal judges the evil empire of puffed up civilian lunatics who wanted to cut corners of environmental issues, as well as military commanders who thought the next star or cluster was worth the deaths of their subordinates. This battle going from 1994-2002, I finally lost, and they got rid of me, though it cost them $750,000 to terminate my employment. My victory was Bill Clinton demanding that they leave the pictures of Krsna on my locker undisturbed, and signing presidential order affirming the right of federal employees to practice religion even on-the-job. My loss was wasted time overendeavoring for worthless things like high-paying union jobs.

Now I work in a health food store. So, I went from sudra to vaisya, and I am still grhasta.

Next. Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

PS Srila Prabhupada commented on such occupation. He said to work on metal was a good job in the age of iron, and also encouraged by saying Bhaktivinode Thakur was also a civil servant.

Mahak that is an excellent bio. I had a few bits of info about your work but the story was sweet to hear. I really feel some affinity for the brothers who I've known in the past 32 years of trying to be a bhakta. So many brothers I have known, and many of them have gone up into the sky to find a new home. Many of my best friends are gone, now.

I'm a company director - and a software engineer. Previously I was a university lecturer (media / communications). Before that I owned a plant nursery (back in the old days when I was following the "simple living and high thinking") ideal. Nowadays my thoughts are more like , "Whatever makes lots of money and is not unethical - do that!"

But the health food business is a good business, Mahak. Well done!

- murali

Yeah, time moves on. I have been warmed by some eulogies written by respected advanced vaisnavas concerning friends that have left us, notably Sriman B.A. Paramadvaiti Swami's eulogy for Tusta Krsna das. Ive had one in my head for years (for my old mentor, sudama swami), but have not written it yet, but the teachings of these departed devotees dont ever leave us, so we go on, do what we do in this lab work of the science of Bhakti.

I slammed the military a bit in my short bio, but I also remember the captains of four different Trident Submarines who were very pleased to include a Bhagavad Gita as it is in the sub's libraries. Noble class, their subordinates were more valuable to them than their own lives.

My son is in his last days of deployment in the gulf. Im sending my daughter Tulasi, to Rome on monday to bring him back. His next duty may be more dangerous, ice breaking up north or even antarctica, but at least he will be away from the armageddon. Duty done.

I never lectured that much, I was an instructor, but concentrated in providing written tools for reference, something that eliminates mistakes if properly referred to. I was in a world of 99% efficiency was total failure. That was fun, and I always had a way to secretly inject something valid in otherwise mundane subject matter.

hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

I aspire to serve the pure devotee Krsna Bhakta who has given me Krsna in the form of Krsna Nama who is non-different than Krsna.

Jivera -svarupahoy krsnera nitya das- I'm an eternal servant of Krsnam -tiny & insignificant but I belong to Krsna as His dealy beloved. By His devotee's causeless mercy He has blessed me to be able to take to chanting Krsna Nama. Isn't that wonderful? It's the best thing that ever happened to me, bro.

On the material level, I've still to find an 'honest' occupation of sorts.

What's the best way to make money, and lots of it...(for Krsna's service of course)?

Occupation--my time and space is forever punctuated with Krsna thought (or am I fooling myself into thinking that I am?)

I am being maintained by Krsna -- or is it that money is maintaining my station in life?

I am definitely trying my level best to adhere to the saffron dust particles of the lotus feet of the Vaisnavas in order to do the impossible - get out of this material world & go to the spiritual world in this very lifetime.

yours in the sevice of the Lord,

krsna das