IndiaDivine.org

What's the sanskrit term for Lord?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

With which word do I replace the word "Lord" as in Lord Vishnu, Lord Shiva etc. I want to use a sanskrit word instead of "Lord", "god" etc. What's the common term prefixed to Vishnu, Shiva etc.?

Sri is an honorific. Lord is a word in english that can several meanings, see http://www.answers.com/lord&r=67

Prabhupada: Krishna, Bhagavan, the Supreme... Bhagavan means... Bhaga means opulence. Just like we use the word bhagyavan. From this bhagya, "fortune," comes the word bhaga. So personally the Supreme Bhagavan or Bhagavan... Bhagavan is never unfortunate. If somebody claims that he is Bhagavan, but Bhagavan is never unfortunate. He is always fortunate. Sannam bhaga itingana

There are other words such as Isvara which is probably closest to meaning Lord.

Isvara

Encyclopædia Britannica Article

(Sanskrit: “Lord”), in Hinduism, the personal, or immanent, god, as distinct from the absolute, or transcendent, supreme being (Brahman). Isvara refers to the personified aspect of the divine, of whom the various sectarian divinities are particular manifestations. The title is particularly favoured by devotees of the god Siva, though its meaning transcends all sectarian differences;

See also http://vedabase.net/i/isvara

it means possessor of opulences. Fits Vishnu (and his incarnations) perfectly. Devatas can be called devas or devis, like surya deva and saraswati devi and so on. Sri can be used for exalted devotees such as Sri Raghavendra, Sri Madhva.