IndiaDivine.org

Is psychology compatible with Krsna consciousness???

Rate this topic

krsna

By Rabindranatha dasa ( ACBSP )

That all depends on what it is based on and used for. If it is based on the words of the acaryas and the Vedas then psychology is compatible with Krsna consciousness, otherwise if it goes against the Vedic scripture, as with anything else, it is to be rejected.

Just because someone has a degree in psychology, does not mean that they know what they are talking about, especially in this age of Kali when practically everyone is highly motivated to satisfy their senses at any cost.

The way I take psychology, is that if it is based on Krsna consciousness, then I accept it and if it is not, then I reject it.

The way I see it, is that as a society, we have to address the various points that are made in modern psychology and state if they are right or wrong.

The following are some quotes by Srila Prabhupada on psychology:

“There must be department of practical psychology to see the students, in which class he belongs to. Either he belongs to the first-class, brähmaëa class, or second-class, the kñatriya class, administrator class, and the third-class, mercantile, or business man, and the fourth-class, çüdras, worker.” –Bg. Lecture 7Sept1973

“Human intellect is developed for advancement of learning in art, science, philosophy, physics, chemistry, psychology, economics, politics, etc. By culture of such knowledge the human society can attain perfection of life…When advancement of knowledge is applied in the service of the Lord, the whole process becomes absolute. The Personality of Godhead and His transcendental name, fame, glory, etc., are all nondifferent from Him. Therefore, all the sages and devotees of the Lord have recommended that the subject matter of art, science, philosophy, physics, chemistry, psychology and all other branches of knowledge should be wholly and solely applied in the service of the Lord.” Bhag. 1.15.22Purport

“You can mold them in any way, like soft dough. However you put them into the mold, they will come out-like bharats, capätés or kacaurés [types of Indian pastries]. Therefore if you give children good association, they will develop nicely, and if you put them in bad association, they will develop poorly. They have no independent psychology.” –JSD 7

“Unless one feels very happy, he cannot become fatty. This is a psychology.” Bhag. Lecture 28Oct1972

“Simply try to tolerate the itching sensation and avoid so much pain. This is real psychology. That itching sensation can be tolerated if one practices Krsna consciousness. Then one will not be very attracted by sex life.”

JSD 7

“I was student of psychology. Our professor, Dr. Urquhart said that the brain, the biggest brain is, by practical psychology it has been tested, sixty-four ounce. And that is the highest brain substance. But for woman it is never more than thirty-six ounce. So they have tested all these practical psychologies.” Bg. Lecture 4Aug1974

“They [Krsna and Balarama] learned all the necessary arts and sciences required in human society…”They learned practical psychology-how to influence another’s mind and thus induce another to act according to one’s own desire. Sometimes this is called hypnotism.” –Krsna Book 45