IndiaDivine.org

is it ok to chant 27 times?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

though mantras are usually chanted 108 times, suppose one is forced to do it fewer number of times, is it correct to chant 54 or 27 times? i am talking about the significance of the number, 27, it is the one you get when you divide 108.

Just chant before death swallows you and you have missed the chance of your human form. Numerology of some sort does not add or subtract anything to the power or sweetness of the name.

Nevertheless a tradtion is there of using 108beads to construct a set of beads. That constitutes 1 round. There is a tradition also of using a quarter mala. As you said 1/4 of 108 is 27. So a quater mala is 27 beads strung around a head or Krishna bead.

I have a set that I use on ocassion when I am out in public walking. I chant to the Krishna bead and reverse direction. I don't even try to count this chanting though I am just trying to keep my senses engaged and this chanting is mostly silently or nearly so. I also use a clicker which is a small hand held office device that fits secretly into oine hand and can count the number of mantra's I utter as I move around.

Use whatever can help you remember the Lord against this on-slaught of material impressions that enter the mind each day.

Lord Caitanya prayed that there are no hard and fast rules to this chanting so in other words there are no hard and fast rules.

If we could remember that death is stalking us at every moment and breathing down our necks then we may be more inclined to chant to the Lord like the genuine crying out by the child for it's mother.

Just once is all that is necessary to go back home, back to Godhead. The disclaimer is that one time must be PURE, without offence.

Therefore, the spiritual master initiates a disciple into sadhana bhakti practice of repetitive recitations of the mahamantra. The offensive chanting is dress rehearsal for when one becomes reciprocal in causelees and unconditional love of Krsna. Then, in utter helplessness, one says, one time, Krsna. Krsna hears like a mother hearing her crying baby, and he does not neglect such purity and dependence. This is devotional service, when Krsna and the devotee become linked up in reciprocal love.

So, say his name without offence only once, but until then, it is recommended that one PRACTICE under the guidance of a bonafide spiritual master, who will give the PRACTICAL formula, which will be followed. If one has no guru, then chant all the time, using rosaries, rocks, grocery counters, b-bs, marbles, whatever, just chant all the time. Then Guru will be inspired to appear before you to give you a definite formula for successfull practice of sadhana bhakti.

Good luck, hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

But why would you want to? If you are going to use beads inm following with tradition then why not follow the tradition as to what type of beads are appropriate?

No hard and fast rules as I understand it is not license for a "do you own thing," make up your own hodge podge concoction of religious symbols and what not like a Western hippie does when discovering spirituality. But even for them it's ok to chant the name in such an environment.

At some point habits will change.

This is easy to understand. Just like in cooking one uses measured amounts of particular spices to arrive at a certain taste. No one just puts in any spice in the cupboard at and in any amount expecting the dish to come out eatable. One follows along standard receipes and adopts and varies them somewhat according to individual tastes.

One with an educated palate will not appreciate the whimsical mixing together of different tastes.

There very well may be a reason for Tulsi beads to be preferred in Krishna-lila for example. As there may be for Rudraksha beads being used for chanting Lord Shiva's name.