IndiaDivine.org

question on ekadashi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

when is it, is it on 24th? should one start fasting from 23rd night? When to conclude? Must one abandon all types of food, including water? Or is water ok considering the heat, bodily strength etc.?

The calendar I go by says the 24th, at least for my location. Here is the link: http://www.purebhakti.com/calendar/calendar.php

Water is fine. Although "sunrise to sunrise" is the general rule of thumb for observing the Ekadasi fast, usually the exact times vary in regards to breaking the fast, and are listed on this calendar based upon your location. Usually one begins the fast upon taking rest the night before Ekadasi. Grains and beans are forbidden. Generally, devotees eat very simply on these holy days=== baked potatoes, cucumber raitas, and fresh fruit are quite common. Be careful about soft drinks and many brands of ice cream, which may contain corn syrup. Buckwheat flour is okay, if you need to eat something that "feels" like a grain. If you need to fry something, use ghee or peanut oil. Olive oil is okay as well, (not very good for frying though), and you can use this on salads.

Hope this helps some.

Some people follow from previous night till next day sunrise. Others follow sunrise to sunrise (but I wouldn't get up early on ekadasi morning before sunrise to eat grains; perhaps if you had stayed up late in the night then you could eat something late in the previous night.)

One devotee told me that once in Berkeley Prabhupada was visiting, and around 12:00 am the night before ekadashi Prabhupada called this devotee and asked him to make puris and subji to eat. This would suggest sunrise to sunrise fasting.