IndiaDivine.org

Orgination of Sankrit letters in English

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I got surprised that many people in US use the following Sanskrit words in their day to day communications. It is is my undersatnding that majority of them do not know that these are Sanskrit words.

'Guru' 'Karma'

Does any one knows how these became part of US English?

thanks

Srini

Guest guest

I think its this: A lot of popular literature uses these words. Most of the books that contain these words are also written by current generation Indians who got popular with westerners. An example would be Deepak Chopra.

Long before the literature got popular, lots of people visiting India learnt about basic concepts and used these words in their songs, interviews, etc. Examples would be Savage Garden and Madonna.

The wierdest source of knowledge for these people is the voluble exclamations from past life regressionists in these countries who tried to establish life after death, reincarnation and karma as the realities that they are. To most it was just a get-rich-quick-by-duping-public scheme. A lot of psychiatrists and doctors who practiced hypnosis on their patients and took them back in time to when they were babies, sometimes stumbled upon past lives and in-between stages where the soul was without a body. Some of them were shocked very badly at finding out such things and initially dismissed them because they were atheistic. But after probing further they figured out that everyone has many lives, and karma should be a major concern for anyone who cares about the big picture.

The patients of these qualified, intelligent practitioners spouted many words like Karma and Bhagvad Gita without having heard of them even once throughout their current lives. When they came to, and were asked about these words they used, they were cluless as to their meanings.

I know that most people have difficulty believing anything written in books or said by people. Trust is so easily broken that nobody wants to trust words. Even I know what its like to be let down everytime, life after life. However so many people who wrote independantly of each other cannot be lying simply to become famous and/or rich.

Gosh I love to talk... and write!