IndiaDivine.org

Main Question - Ancient Languages

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

In a poem from the Puranaanuuru (#62 for those that know), there is a reference to the various languages spoken in INdia. The poem is directed to the ancient Chola king Verpahratakkaip Peruvirar Killi and the Chera king Kutakko Netuncheralatan.

According to wikipedia There is an ancient Chola king Perunarkilli from around 300 AD. Perhaps this is Peruvirar Killi. However, Wikipedia's Chera kinglist (which seems a little suspicious because of the mythology involved also) places Neduncheralatan at 99 AD. Wikipedia's contemporary Chola king is Ilamcetcenni from 100 AD (the father of Karikallan Chola)

According to the notes, the ancient Tamils believed in 18 languages that they came in consistant contact with.....Can someone plese help me identify the area or language as it is from the Tamil version...........

1. Sanskrit - easy one

2. Cinkalam - Singhala i suppose

3. Coonakam - Wikipedia says that the Cholas motherland is a place called Sonaatu. Perhaps this was the language there. But im not sure where that is or what language it is.

4. Caavakam - perhaps means Java and the Javanese language but Wikipedia dates Old Javanese at the 9th century AD

5. Ciinam - Chinese perhaps

6. Tuluvam - Tulu language, a minority language in Mangalore area of Karnataka. A language much older than Kannada itself.

7. Kudakam - perhaps Kodaga language of Kodaga people of southern Karnataka

8. konkanam - Konkani

9. kannatam - Kannada

10. Kollam - ???

11. telunku - Telegu

12. Kalinkam - Kalinga dynasty of Orissa, percursor to the Oriya language and script

13. vankam - language of the Vanga kingdoms of modern day Bengal/Bangladesh area. Scholars beileve modern Bengali and the term Bengal or Bangla came from the original word Vanga.

14. kankam - ???

15. makatam - language of the Magadha kingdom of North East India

16. kataaram - Some sites I saw mention that Malaysia had an ancient kingdom called Kadaram, but i couldnt find any info about the culture, kingdom, or even mention of Kadaram in Malaysian history sites. so I DONT KNOW????

17. Kavutam - ??

18. Koocalam - perhaps the language of the Kosala kingdom, which was locatd in modern day Uttar Pradesh. Perhaps the precursor to languages spoken there currently.

*19. Tamil - another easy one.*

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THE REST??